• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Private or nhs

I started down the NHS route but due to major problems with the hospital I ended up going private with Mr Ammori and it cost me £10,000. Best money I have ever spent.

Hey hunny..

I suppose it all depends on which Weight-Loss-Surgery you are considering to the price..

I know obviously via NHS, there is no charge..

Privately.. I think as above for a bypass and i think its around £7,000 for a band? But I'm sure more private Op'ers, will be able to tell you exactly what they paid..

Dependant on whether you fit your county criteria for Weight-Loss-Surgery on the NHS, i see no problems going down the NHS route.

I would speak to your GP to find out such information.

Another thing is, how impatient are you? In the sense that, if you go down the NHS route, are you willing to wait? I know here in the West Midlands.. Its roughly a 1year perhaps longer process..to get from start to finish.

There are a-lot of options to consider when choosing Weight-Loss-Surgery, but never fear, ask anything and everything that is troubling you and i'm sure that one of these lovely wise people, will give you some advice!

Good Luck in whatever you do or choose..

Marie x

I've just come back yesterday from my sleeve abroad, also £6.5k, was the best value for money I could ever imagine.
We were treated as people the surgeon became your friend and the whole team go out of their way to help you.
Had tried NHS for a lap band but I didn't fir the criteria.

Andrea

I had my op in Elland at spire 10,000 best thing i ever did, i dont spend much on my self so it was a big thing, co for it, your life will change xx

I have started with NHS but will keep my options open. if the NHS is too late or get rejected for funding, then i will go for private. I'm also thinking for going abroad. India is the best option at the moment for me, as well as cheap. surgeons are also from UK and USA :D. all the best for what ever you choose. XX

No, I got back on friday from the Czech republic and my sleeve.
I was looked after far better by the surgeon and his team than I was by the NHS when I had part of my kidney removed.
I went with Cosmetic Bliss who have their lady there and spends lots of time with you each day, and she's an ex theatre nurse so she knows what she's talking about. The surgeon and the nursing team on the ward all speak good English and they felt like my friends at the end of it.
I had the best care ever including a very thorough set of pre tests to make sure that I was well enough for the op. I then spent the first night after the op in ICU to make sure that everything was as it should be and then a further 2 nights in the hospital so that they were 100% certain that I was fit to fly home.
Either 2 of 4 people go out with them each week and the ward is a room for 2 people so you have always got somebody fluent in English near you.
My sleeve cost me £6.5k and was the best money I've ever spent.

i'm having a bypass via the nhs. It will be around 14 months from referral to op, but that's not really that long when you consider how long we've been overweight. Also they tend to keep you in hospital for longer than if you're private, which will be helpful for me as I live on my own.

I got funded by the NHS for my bypass, which I had about 18 weeks ago. I waited about 15 months from initial referral to the actual op. Your 'options' really depend on your local PCT criteria, as it is down to them as to whether you would be eligible for NHS funding or not, depending on what your BMI is & what co-morbidities you have. Obviously with the NHS, you don't pay but would almost definitely wait longer than if you went down the private route. However, WLS is a big decision, and with the NHS route, a psychological assessment is often required and that can be really helpful, basically helping you to understand what has driven you to overeat in the first place, so you can deal with any issues before surgery.

Back