• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Protein drinks etc after op - what amount?

clare12345

I keep reading about the protein needed post op and I understand that we need it. If we buy the shakes how much protein do you guys get in it as I have seen ones with 17, 20, 25 and 30g in. Also, I am in America at the moment and it seems quite a bit cheaper than the uk. So may buy some. Also, do you have one or two shakes a day?

I chose whey protein isolate in the end due to the lower carbs and fat being in it. Below is part of an article I read from a nutrisionist that offers advice bariatric patients.

Weight loss surgery makes protein shakes essential

Whether you're considering bariatric surgery or have already had it, getting your protein is going to be a very important part of your life. (Read more on the pre-weight loss surgery diet and post-weight loss surgery diet.)

However, it may be hard for you to get all the protein you need from "regular" foods for a variety of reasons.

That's where and why protein shakes/protein powders come in to the picture.

Which protein source is right for you?

I suggest trying whey first, then soy or egg, and then any of the other plant sources named above. You'll get the most protein for the least calories from whey, egg, and soy. I recommend your shakes fall in the 150-250 calorie range.

Protein Shake/Protein Powders: How much protein do they provide?

This varies depending on the brand. First of all, read the serving size! A serving is typically "one scoop" but occasionally it will be "two scoops."

Then read the label for the number of grams of protein per serving. Choose a product with at least 15 grams of protein.

How much daily protein you need varies but generally is in the 60-80g/day range. (Be sure to follow the recommendations of your physician.) If you have two shakes per day with 15 grams protein each, you'll get half your daily requirement by drinking 2 shakes.

If you mix protein powder that has 15 grams of protein with 1 cup skim milk/lactaid milk your resulting shake will be even higher in protein: 23 grams. Then 2 shakes provide 46 grams per day.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Solid Food Contributes to Your Overall Protein Intake TOO

It's useful to know how many grams of protein you need to eat every day so you can understand how your bariatric shakes contribute.

For example, you don't need to drink two 40 gram bariatric shakes if you're eating solid food too. Keep in mind that every ounce of poultry, fish, meat, or cheese has 7 grams of protein:

Food Amount Grams Protein
chicken 1 ounce 7 grams
turkey 1 ounce 7 grams
fish 1 ounce 7 grams
canned tuna/salmon 1/4 cup 7 grams
beef, pork, lamb, veal 1 ounce 7 grams
cheese, nonfat/lowfat 1 ounce 7 grams
cottage cheese, nonfat/lowfat 1/4 cup 7 grams
milk, skim/nonfat, or 1% 1 cup 8 grams
yogurt, nonfat or lite 6-8 ounces 6-14 grams
Greek yogurt, nonfat 6-8 ounces 13-14 grams
egg 1 7 grams
egg whites 2 7 grams
egg substitute 1/4 cup 7 grams
beans 1/2 cup 7 grams
tofu 1 ounce 2-5 grams
peanut butter 2 Tablespoons 8 grams
nuts/seeds 1/4 cup 5-6 grams
protein powders/protein shakes 1-2 scoops/3-20oz varies

Thanks Clare this explains a lot. Had balloon nearly three weeks ago and im having difficulty getting my intake right .. Not enough of everything lol but think I can work with this article to get it right :)

You are welcome. I read on the Internet for ages to try and find out the amount of protein I needed post op but it was hard finding anything specific. From that info it also helped me understand how the amounts work for our daily intake:)

I just bought a tub of whey insulate protein back from the states and plan to use it after op. maybe I should try it now just in case. I just had a protein bar and I can not see me having those. Deb, is the pre op diet about getting more protein in to shrink the liver. I am doing a low carb low cal but I am picking up that the protein shrinks the liver as well. I have focused on post op and lots of protein.

I thought yoghurts was a good source of protein but they can be high in sugar so be careful.

I recently bought an EasiYo maker and love it.

Really easy to make yogurt at home. To be honest, I've taken a liking to natural, unsweetened yogurt with nothing added - so have been sticking to that (though they do loads of flavours). Funny how once we cut out the carbs and sugar overload, our bodies want different things.

Maybe post op and on to solids, I'll make my own compotes to go with it and freeze in ice cube sized portions :)

You could just use a thermos :)

lol I'm cheap and use a thermos. You also don't need the easiyo packets :) I just chuck warm skimmed milk with some greek yoghurt mixed in into the thermos and retrieve it 12 hours later :)

Back