• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Protein Shakes or Supplements

NatalieG

Hi to all,

I am booked in for my bypass on 26th October and just making sure I got everything ready but I am bit confused which protein powder to get.

I have been Holland and Barratts and there is 2 different makes and Im not sure which one to get. Am I better with the Soya protein powder or the body fortress milk and egg protein powder.

Also I was told about the one tesco does but does anyone have the name of it so I know I get the right one.

Big thanks in advance

Natalie

Whey protein is your best bet, ideally atleast 20g protein per serving, and less than 2g carbs.

Hi Natalie

If your going to use ptotein shakes then go for 100% whey protein, post bypass your body will not be able to absorb the essential amino acids in soya protein for it to do you any good, you can get round this by taking more suppliments but that kind of defeats the object really in my eyes.

You can buy Sci -MX in tescos, a months supply taking the recomended daily does of 36G will cost you about £25 ish !
Sci-MX was recomended to me by some body building friends that swear by it ! go for the strawberry which doesn't taste to bad.

The debate rages on about the benefits of actually taking a protein suppliment, i and many others here haven't used suppliments and have had a lot of success with our weight loss, never felt weak or had any problems relating to protein, though speaking for myself i like meat and dairy and therefore get all my protein needs through my food rather than taking suppliments.
I did experiement with protein shakes a while ago and it made no difference to the way i felt, my energy levels and most inportantly my weight loss, which remained exactly the same.

So its entirely up to you which way you go, personally i wouldn't advocate to taking them, i'd see how you eating is post op and how your weight loss goes, then at a later stage you could try protein suppliments if needed or you felt they may help.

Good luck which ever way you go.

You should go for the whey protein one and just double check it is low in carbs. I would suggest the exact opposite advice of what Silversurfer suggests as to waiting until later to try protein suppliments :eek:. It is mostly impossible during the post-op liquid stage and purees to get enough protein per day (minimum 80g per day) due to limited volume & variety of your diet at that stage so the use of supplements while you are healing and transitioning into solid foods can be really helpful. Once you are eating a regular diet again it is possible and likely that you won't see a need for protein supplements, I use them still because 1) I like them & 2) I am positive that my protein intake is high enough so it is like an insurance policy for me.

Best of luck,
Nic:p

Hi,

I would go for the body fortress one which is often on offer. I have two tubs stored up for when I'm post op.

As phatgirl says protein is very important infact I think people should see it as a key part to their future success. I say this as someone who has always had good results when using protein as a core part of a regime.

The reason why I really concentrate on protein is because it gives satiety(??) especially when actually eating actual meat and even when having the powerpack tiny snack bars you can get from holland and barret. Also a big reason I'm a fan is that it helps you to keep your shape/muscles , which I am really keen not to lose.

Hi Nat - I go for maxiuscle promax that your can buy in Tesco's or at any sports shops that sell supplements.

Sal x

Protein is the most important part of your diet for succesfull weightloss.
I try to have as much protein as possible everyday with each meal and i have 1 protein shake every morning to set me off.
I use MET RX Ready to drink protein shakes With 20g of protein.

You should go for the whey protein one and just double check it is low in carbs. I would suggest the exact opposite advice of what Silversurfer suggests as to waiting until later to try protein suppliments :eek:. It is mostly impossible during the post-op liquid stage and purees to get enough protein per day (minimum 80g per day) due to limited volume & variety of your diet at that stage so the use of supplements while you are healing and transitioning into solid foods can be really helpful. Once you are eating a regular diet again it is possible and likely that you won't see a need for protein supplements, I use them still because 1) I like them & 2) I am positive that my protein intake is high enough so it is like an insurance policy for me.

Best of luck,
Nic:p

Its interesting that your surgeon was Basil Ammori who also did my op and many others here, yet he advised me that i dont need to use a protein suppliments, and i know of at least one other on the forum he's told the same advice to....... your educatated and switched on Nic, i just wonder what would have been different had you not used protein suppliments, would you have lost the weight you have lost ? i personally think you would have as you understand the need for a balanced diet.

Also consider the cost of protein suppliments, lets say £25 a month and your looking at £600 for two years supplimentation ! :eek:

I guess if people want to use a suppliment and its not harming them then its cool to do so if it makes you happy, however i'm in the opposite camp and believe your wasting your money taking them, honestly i'd rather eat my protein !

Hi Fatgirlslim.

I like the MetRx premixed cartons. They are a bit expensive but perfect when you cant be messing with scoops and mixing etc. Also they have about 20g of carbs I think so its a decent all rounder. I brought some last saturday and they were buy oneget one half price at H&B

I used to really like the atkins version of those drinks but they seem to sell them anywhere anymore. Its a shame because I think the atkins version has even less carbs.

Hey all,

Thanks for all your advice I think I may get a months supply to start with I know the extra protein will help with my healing and energy levels. Better be safe than sorry.

Thanks Again

Back