• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Protein Supplements/shots

phatgirl

I read before surgery one of the big struggles post-op was getting enough protein to feed your muscles. I read that I needed about 80g of protein per day which is impossible at first unless you use protein supplements.

I had my family in the US ship me a sample pack from a US website so I could try different types to find some I liked. I have been told that it is difficult to find one that tastes good to you so I wanted to try a bunch. Once I found some I liked I looked for places to buy them here in the UK. I found a few sites that had good prices & free shipping. I am not affiliated with any of them in any way but I just wanted to pass on the fruits of my labour.

Good luck with them and hope you like them as much as I do.

Protein supplements that I can personally recommend (most have at least 20g of protein per serving):

**IDS NEW WHEY PROTEIN BULLETS (either in 27g or 42g of protein) - 3oz fruit flavoured drink that is slightly thick, can be added to sugar free jellies for extra protein, combined with a diet squash or on their own (Shel did not care for the thickness on its own). They come in assorted flavours that taste like ice lollies.

I found them here for 24 for 49.99 w/free shipping
2 x 12 IDS New Whey Liquid Protein 42g Vials : *Special Offers* : Elite Supplements Limited : Discount Cheap Bodybuilding Supplements Whey Protein Creatine Weight Gainer

BSN LEAN DESSERTS SHAKERS – Protein powder shake mix, I tried Choc Coconut Candy Bar & Whipped Vanilla both yummy. Can be made with or without milk (I added a little walls low fat vanilla ice cream!)

I found them here for 19.99 for 630g of powder (18 or so servings) free shipping bsn lean desert : Protein : sports supplements and bodybuilding products incl Maximuscle - Monster Supplements.com

PVL WHEY GOURMET SHAKE MIX – Protein powder shake mix, I tried Choc Peanut Butter & Strawberry banana which were both very good.

I found them here for 19.99 for 908g of powder (not sure on how many servings) + shipping
PVL - Supplement Warehouse 2008 PVL

**MET-RX READY-TO-DRINK SUPPLEMENTS – come several flavours, no mixing just pop in the fridge.

I found them here 12 for 19.99 w/free shipping
MET Rx Ready To Drink 12 x 330ml Carton : MRPs : Elite Supplements Limited : Discount Cheap Bodybuilding Supplements Whey Protein Creatine Weight Gainer

**Note: Holland & Barrett carry the Met-rx shakes if you want to buy one and try it before buying a bunch but they are pricier. Holland & Barrett also carry a knock-off of the 27g New Whey called Pro Slam, they aren’t as tasty but they will give you an idea of the texture, again they cost more.

[FONT=&quot]Holland and Barrett - High Quality Vitamins, Minerals, Supplements and Sports Nutrition[/FONT]

Last edited:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank you :D choc peanut butter sounds yum but it's not on the list! Arctic cappucino sounds just as good though :)

Hi GoGo, congrats on your surgery. How are you feeling otherwise?

As far as post op, for savory protein directly post op I used the Build-up chicken soup (found in the pharmacy section of the grocery store or a chemist). It is a powdered soup that has added nutrition, extra protein and tastes pretty good (well nothing really tastes great at first but it gets better). At first I found it a bit 'paste-like' so I diluted it with chicken broth (I used oxo cubes). I also used a thermos/flask to keep it warm while I sipped slowly. I was not much for the sweet the first week but by the second week I liked sweet okay. I also used Knorr chicken granules with a pinch of parmesan cheese for added protein. If you like Miso soup (Japanese soup made from soy paste, found in Asian section), I also used that (minus the bits) as an alternative to broth.

Hope that helps!

Just wanted to add, this one

PVL WHEY GOURMET SHAKE MIX – Protein powder shake mix, I tried Choc Peanut Butter & Strawberry banana which were both very good.

I found them here for 19.99 for 908g of powder (not sure on how many servings) w/free shipping
PVL - Supplement Warehouse 2008 PVL

charged me £4.95 shipping :(

Sorry, they were offering free shipping when I looked originally.:( I have edited the entry above. They are stinkers! But they have the product which I couldn't find elsewhere and it was very good.

Hope so, have ordered the arctic cappucino one from there, as I lurrrve cold coffee, and a pack of choc mint met-rx too. Shall be rolling in protein soon :D

NO NO Bad Shel, you have to eat it NOT roll in it, gosh, it won't get absorbed that way and makes a very expensive body wash!!!:p

lol whoops :( just promise me I'm not going to end up looking like the blokes on some of them sites :eek:

Umm, ick, no way...I would never let that happen to you, promise!:)

The fake tan and body oiling alone would break the bank so you would have to have 3 jobs...

3 jobs :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

fake tan = yuck. had a woman at till in job 2 yesterday with very orange hands :giggle:

baby oil = accident. I'm clumsy. If I'm slippy too I will break something. Probably me.

In a pervious post I suggested the Pro Slam drinks from H&B to test run them. Be careful, Mr. PG bought me a new flavour to try and he accidently bought an energy bullet (looks just like the protein bullets except it says ENERGIZE) which has no nutritional value. I drank a few sips and knew it wasn't right. Also, I was a bit 'high' for about an hour as I don't consume caffine!

:8855:

Yep, you caught me. I guess I was thinking pervy??? Hehe

I've not really thought about this, but have people benefited from having protein drinks/supplements? Aren't they the sort of things that bodybuilders use?

Hiya,

The Met-Rx shakes I ordered yesterday arrived today :eek: how's that for good service?

Unfortunately, the pvl whey gourmet shake mix is out of stock, but it doesn't say that on the site. Only found out cos my paypal got refunded.

What did the shakes taste like? going to give them a try this week.
Is there anything specific that you should look for on the tin (apart from protien:rolleyes:!) does sugar content matter?

Yes, as with all other foods, keep the fat and sugar low. I aim for ones that are protein shakes as oppose to body building shakes as you don't need all the other things they add like creatine.

I tried one of the Met-Rx shakes from holland and barratts, the choc mint one, and it was lovely, so that's what I've had delivered today.

It's worth getting just one from H&B first before you get a pack of 12!

For me, I struggle to get enough protein in, as I'm not a natural protein eater, so as an every other day kind of thing instead of breakfast I think it helps.

Back