• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Protein Supplements/shots

When I was in New York last week I bought some of the IDS protein shots to try. They taste vile. Gloopy texture like syrup and waaaaay too sweet. But I need them. I was struggling to keep going post op and unable to get enough protein. So I take them like medicine. Hold nose, swallow fast and have a huge water chaser.
Monday I had 3 month check up @ bariatric clinic. I asked the nutritionist about the protein shots, and she said most people in the UK already get twice the protein they need. But I haven't been able to tolerate meat since the WLS. So she advised me to take 1/2 a bullet daily , which she said should be enough as I am eating solid food now. And yes, I do feel a big difference in my energy levels, concentration and just feeling well. They definitely help me so I will be using them. None of them taste good IMO, but if I had to choose, I'd say grape and blue raspberry are less gross than the others. They don't taste like grape or raspberry, but the fruit punch one makes me gag. Haven't tried orange yet.

Like I said in another thread, I've started the IDS protein shots. I have to say it's like taking medicine. They're very thick and gloopy and much too sweet. So I take them like medicine. Hold nose, swallow fast and have water nearby as chaser. As for shakes, I used Herbalife shakes before I ever thought of having wls. So I went back to them for my pre-op diet. I've always lost weight with them and I like the flavours (especially the vanilla).
So if I'm in a shake phase that's the one I go back to. Because I'm lactose intolerant I mix it with soy or rice milk. Rice milk is low in protein though, so it's usually soymilk. It's not the cheapest shake but it's not the most expensive either, and it works for me, especially when I need to make an early morning start and can't face food. Herbalife formula 3 is a good way to add protein to their shake. It's just powder you stir into the shake to boost protein content. It has no taste and I really find it useful.

Hi guys......at the moment (11/06/09) Holland and Barrett are doing a 1/2 price deal on there Whey Protein Powder its £12.49 for a huge tub. it comes in Vanilla (my fave) Strawberry, banana and chocolate and no flavour ( good for adding to recipes to add protein) all you need to do is blitz 2 scoops and a glass of skimmed milk (or milk and water) and you have a lovely protein rich morning shake giving you 36g of protein

Hi guys......at the moment (11/06/09) Holland and Barrett are doing a 1/2 price deal on there Whey Protein Powder its £12.49 for a huge tub. it comes in Vanilla (my fave) Strawberry, banana and chocolate and no flavour ( good for adding to recipes to add protein) all you need to do is blitz 2 scoops and a glass of skimmed milk (or milk and water) and you have a lovely protein rich morning shake giving you 36g of protein

That is very good to know indeed! Thanks Mrs C-B!!

OK I tried the orange flavour. I wish now I had ordered a box of that as it is the least unpleasant. It's still not nice, but compared to the fruit punch it's alright.

Thanks so much for telling us about these. I have always had a problem getting enough protein so I ordered these. I tried the blue raspberry and it wasn't too terrible.

Bump for Helen, let me know if you have any questions about the products.

Nic:D

So do I need to supplement my diet with extra protein post op? no one has told me about this and I'm glad I saw it on this site.

So do I need to supplement my diet with extra protein post op? no one has told me about this and I'm glad I saw it on this site.

I was never told by a professional about protein needs post-op. I discovered through my own research pre-op that it is a standard recommendation in America for bypassers to consume 80-100g of protein per day especially early post-op during the healing process. I think the dietary advice for post-op bypassers in the UK is still developing and varies way too much between the private medical community & the NHS. Heck even between different NHS people there is a giant disparity in dietary guidance. I suggest if you are curious you do your own research and see what you come up with.

Thank you Phatgirl I shall do some research on it all. It makes total sense that you need protein supplements just as you need supplements for all the other vitamins and minerals

being a bloke (i think!!) i've been using a body building protein powder which mixes very nicely with water, it's called USN PURE PROTEIN IGF-1, comes in various flavours and tub sizes, i've been using it pre-op as a meal replacement, alot less carbs than slimfast etc, but good protein levels and low calorie too, i've tried the vanilla flavour and that was fine, i also bought a 'shaker' from Argos, (Product code: Maximuscle Shaker 700ml 010/3309 Price £4-89), this has a measuring scale on the side, a 'lattice' insert for getting rid of lumps and a screw on lid with a resealable drink spout. I usually get the larger tub at 2.2Kg, and costs about £35....this lasts me a couple of months, hope this helps someone ;)

have found this info online...ingredients, vits and mins etc

USN’s Pure Protein is a complete engineered protein blend consisting of a precise mixture of whey protein isolate, whey protein concentrate, calcium caseinate, egg albumen and soy protein isolate.
Protein is the structural core of the human body and is at work in every single cell. Protein performs many essential functions in the body. It is required for growth and repair of tissues and aids in the transportation of nutrients, oxygen and nitrogen.

Core benefits of Pure Protein IGF-1:
  • 40g of STS (Sustained Transport System) protein consisting of Whey Protein Isolate (WPI) & Concentrate Blend, Micellar Casein, Calcium Caseinate, Egg Albumin & Soy Protein Isolate.
  • Contains ZYMATECH Multiple Enayme Technology (incl. Lactase Enaymes & Fibre) for optimal protein digestion & amino acid uptake.
  • Fortified with L-glutamine for nitrogen transport & muscle recovery.
  • Extremely low in Carbs & contains a complete vitamin & mineral blend.
Recommended Use

• Add two heaped scoops to 300 - 350ml of cold water in a hand held shaker and shake for 30 seconds.
  • Allow to settle for around 45 seconds before drinking.
  • Have 2-3 servings daily.
  • Servings may be halved.
Allergen Information

• Contains milk protein, lactose, egg and soy protein.
  • Contains no nut ingredients but production may take place in a facility that uses nut ingredients, therefore it may contain traces of peanuts and various types of nuts and seeds.
Supplement Facts

Energy
Per 100g

%RDA per 100g
Per Serving (56g) 2 heaped scoops

%RDA per Serving
1518kJ/363kcal​

-
850kJ/203kcal​

-Protein
71g​

-
40g​

-Of which amino acids **
71g​

-
40g​

-Carbohydrates
4g​

-
2.24g​

-Of which sugars
2g​

-
1.2g​

-Fat (total)
4g​

-
2.3g​

-Of which saturates (1.4g MCT)
2g​

-
1.2g​

-Fibre
3.87g​

-
2g​

-Sodium
0.33g​

-
0.18g​
-Vitamins

Vitamin A (retinol)
720µg​

90%
403µg​

50%Vitamin D (cholecalciferol)
4.5µg​

90%
2.52µg​

50%Vitamin E (d-alpha-tocopherl)
8mg​

80%
4.4mg​

44%Vitamin C (ascorbic acid)
54mg​

90%
30mg​

50%Vitamin B1 (thiamin mononitrate)
1.3mg​

93%
0.7mg​

50%Vitamin B2 (riboflavin)
1.4mg​

88%
0.8mg​

50%Niacin (nicotinamide)
16mg​

88%
8.9mg​

50%Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine-5-phosphate)
2mg​

100%
1.1mg​

50%Folic Acid (pteroylmonoglumatic acid)
179µg​

90%
100mg​

50%Vitamin B12 (cyanocobalamin)
0.9µg​

90%
0.5µ​

50%Biotin (d-biotin)
0.133mg​

88%
0.074mg​

50%Pantothenic Acid (d-pantothenate, calcium)
5mg​

83%
2.8mg​

46%MineralsCalcium (from natural milk source)
1100mg​

137%
616mg
77%​

Phosphorus
220mg​

73%
123mg
41%​

Magnesium (magnesium oxide)
860mg​

108%
481mg
60%​

*RDA = Recommended Daily Allowance

Amino Acid Profile - mg/56g Serving
Alanine​

1131​
Histidine​
1167​
Proline​
3830​
Arginine​
1387​
Isoleucine (BCAA***)​
2116​
Serine​
2298​
Aspartic Acid​
2663​
Leucine (BCAA***)​
3685​
Threonine​
1678​
Cysteine​
146​
Lysine​
3028​
Tryptophan​
511​
Glutamic Acid​
8135​
Methionine​
1094​
Tyrosine​
2116​
Glycine​
693​
Phenylalanine​
1970​
Valine (BCAA***)​
2699​

***BCAA = Branch Chained Amino Acids
Ingredients

Whey protein isolate* and concentrate*, calcium caseinate*, micellar casien, soy protein isolate, egg albumin, lactase enaymes, MCT oil (medium chain tri-glycerides), stabiliser (cellulose gu,), flavouring, calcium (from natural milk source), cocoa powder (only in chocolate flavour, l-glutamin, fructooligosaccharides (FOS) , magnesium oxide, vitamin C (l-ascorbic acid), niacin (nicotinamide), vitamin E (d-alpha tocopherol), pantothenic acid (d-pantothenate, calcium), vitamin B6 (pyridoxine-5-phosphate), vitamin B2 (riboflavin), vitamin B1 (thiamin mononitrate), biotin (d-biotin), vitamin A(retinol), folic acid, vitamin D (cholecalciferol), vitamin B12 (cyanocobalamin), sweetener (sucralose).

Last edited:
are the protein shot/shakes nice?

never tried the shots, but the shakes i make from the protein powder i buy are fine, i bought chocolate this time, and very pleasant (as was the vanilla), made with water, mixes well, i use 375ml water and 2 heaped scoops of powder, it makes up to about 410-420ml when mixed, so you are getting plenty of fluids as well, it can also be made with half the amounts for post op

are the protein shot/shakes nice?

I have to say I like them but they are not for everyone. They are a strong fruity flavor that not everyone enjoys. In fact I have heard at least one person refer to them as medicine that you just 'get down your neck'. So my advice is to try the type found at H&B to see if the flavor/texture is something you can handle and then buy online for best price.

Good luck!
Nic:p

Is there any reason why these protein drinks can't be used to help lose weight pre-op or even in place of surgery (obviously depending on how much you need to lose of course).

I've read that we are expected to lose approx 5% of our body weight pre-op anyway so would it be counter-productive (assuming of course that my GP has informed the hospital of my start weight in my referral) if I was to try to lose weight via this method even BEFORE I go for my initial appt?

Is there any reason why these protein drinks can't be used to help lose weight pre-op or even in place of surgery (obviously depending on how much you need to lose of course).

I've read that we are expected to lose approx 5% of our body weight pre-op anyway so would it be counter-productive (assuming of course that my GP has informed the hospital of my start weight in my referral) if I was to try to lose weight via this method even BEFORE I go for my initial appt?

exactly what i'm using mine for

These are back on offer again at the same price above until 6th August. I've just bought the banana one to give it a trial for my pre-op diet and it tastes great!

Am I right in thinking these come on offer every couple of months so I don't need to go crazy stocking up on them now?

Twiggie I bought the natural one the other day for future use after my op.
I dont like flavoured drinks so thought natural would be good for someone like me then I can mix it in dinners as well when the time comes

Jay xx

Protein shakes

Hi, as I have said previouly, I am having problems eating and not being sick or getting dumping syndrome:cry:
All I seem able to eat are rice cakes and baked beans or soup! Loads of people mention protein shakes, I must be missing something, where do you get them, bear in mind I am on the IOW and we are a bit limited with our shops!
I do feel that I am not eating enough of the right stuff at the moment and maybe the protein shakes could be the answer. Pauline:D

Here are some links that might be helpful to you:

http://www.minimins.com/surgical-weight-loss/67707-where-get-tasty-protein-supplements.html

http://www.minimins.com/surgical-weight-loss/90078-protein-shots.html

I also use atkins products to supplement my protein, I buy them online from here:
Atkins Product, bar | Sugar Free Megastore, Carbohydrate Diet, shopping, chocolate, diet, food

Hope that helps you, all the products listed above can be bought through the internet. Some of them can be found in Holland & Barretts as well as some Tescos, Asdas & Sainsburys. Let me know if you have any questions about the links or need more info.

Back