• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Protein Supplements/shots

Many thanks. I have bought a protein whey shake mix that is in Holland and Barret for £12.50 half price from £25!! It is a huge 900g pack so not bad value. It is actually quite nice surprisingly enough and is sugar free and low carb, thanks for your advice once again Pauline

been and bought the H & B big bucket of chocolate flavour one for £12.49 will test it tomorrow for brekkie. It better not taste like it looks like it should still be in the bucket ! or Ill be back telling them its gone off lol:p

OK so thinking Id try some this morning:) Made 1 scoop with 125ml like it says on the tin,,,yeuch, tastes like its been swilled out. So tomorrow I will go for a scoop (or 2 ?) in semi skimmed milk.
the only reason I didnt put it in milk today was I didnt want it to be gloopy, ha! no chance of that. It tasted of choc so thats ok, just very VERY weak lol

Last edited:
Ok so i tried the 2 scoops with milk, much better takes ok :)

Now a question has anyone mixed the flavoured protein with natural yog? my hubby bought some natural yog as he had read on my container that the protein can be mixed with it :rolleyes:

So has anyone? does it taste ok? and how much did you mix together ?

I think Brunetteandred put hers in yogurt, one scoop I believe it is. Give it a try and let us know what you think. I prefer my protein in milk and not water but to each their own.

Nic:p

i preferitr in milk too, reason I tried it in water is I thought it might be too thick and gloopy in milk but i was wrong, Will try a bit of it in yog in a few as going to have a small cup :)

Ok tried it, I guess if you like natural yog then its ok.. its a bit tart for me, i didnt add any sweetner to it though as I only have ones for a cuppa lol

Last edited:
my taste buds can not stand sweet food its making me gag, every thing i eat tastes sweeter than it used to (and i used to be a sweet lover.)

i bought the whey proteinpowder that you are all talking about but couldnt get it past my mouth with out reching i really cant get it down any one any ideas to savory the protein (tried the complan chicken soups they were vile 3 left unused never to be used if any one wants them)

You can get natural flavoured protein powder which you can add to soups/sauces/coffee etc. Or add in powdered skimmed milk.

My dietician advised to add a scoop of skimmed milk powder to any milk that I drink. He said this would be sufficient.

Going to try the BSN products - banana flavour! Will report back!

Should I be adding extra protein from day 1 after bypass? I think I remember someone giving the general rules about nutritional intake. Something about over 60g protein and then something about calories but I can't remember what it was. Can anyone help to remind me (obviously losing my marbles, can't remember anything today).

As always if you are in question about your nutritional advice, you should check with your team for clarification. You will find that the advice will differ from surgeon to surgeon and hospital to hospital so double check with your own team for their advice.

I can offer you my opinion/experience as a patient, but remember that is all it is, my opinion/experience. Yes, I supplemented my protein intake from day one. I shoot for 80-100 grams of protein per day with a minimum of 60 grams. I don't calorie count because if you are eating balanced meals everyday you shouldn't need to count calories. Your main focus as a bypasser should be on getting enough nutrients daily to keep you healthy while burning fat. The best way to do that in my opinion is to focus on protein as 50% of your diet. At the early post-op stage I have found that people don't need to count calories but rather make sure they are getting 4-6 servings of protein throughout the day. Once you have managed to get your protein up, you can set a caloric goal if you find that easier. But remember as long as you are eating enough daily to stay out of starvation mode, calorie counting isn't needed.

Here is a guideline for calories per day if you find it useful:

In the first 3 months around 400-600 calories per day which 50% should be protein. From 3-6 months 500-700 cals per day, again 50% protein. From 6 months to 1 year post-op, 800-1000 cal per day. Between year one and two you should be able to reach a calorie intake of 1200 per day. Again at every stage your protein should be 50% of your diet until you reach over 1000 cals then your protein should be about 40% of your diet.

Hope that helps,
Nic;)

Nic as I just read that last post of yours, i found myself reading it in an American accent in my head hahahah x

Thank you for that Nic. I see from all of your posts that you have learnt a lot about nutrition during your journey. I am just starting out but I am realising that I will have to be very aware of the nutritional value of everything I put in my mouth.

Don't forget to try Ebay - you can generally get this sort of stuff much cheaper there.
x

pretein supplement textures

Right I am just about to buy some extra protein and am at a bit of a loss as to the texture they are once made up with ss milk.

If you are using a suppliment could you let me know what one it is and its texture please.

The reason I am asking is because the slimy texture of the ready made slimfast shakes makes me wretch and I really dont want to waste money buying a tub of something that will do the same.

Your experiences gratefully :Dreceived.

Hiya hun - I find that the only one I have tried that isnt too thick and slimy is the maximusle promax one. I find it very runny and you can get it in tescos....good luck babe.

Too far for me to nip over with some to try...London - Manchester lol x

Ahhh thanx Sal

would be so much easier if they made little samples of these things wouldnt it. What flavours have you tried?

If only it was as quick to get from London to Manchester by bus as it is to leave a message on the interglobal meganet eh ;)

Xx

Haha - yeah we could also have had a cuppa!

I like the caffe latte flavour shake from maximuscle and the choc one is ok I guess.

Good luck with em though...ps never tried the slimfast ones...are they a meal replacement?

yea the slimfast meal replacement shakes readymade............EEEEEEeeeeeeew well in my book anyway. They are so sickly.

Xx

Back