• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Protein supplements ...?

Ines4C

I know it's best to get your protein from healthy food, and I am trying to do just that, however their may be times when I need a quick protein fix... Especially when I'm out and their is just no good food around. I've looked for good protein supplements but don't know which one is best... Do you guys use protein supplements, and if so, which brand?

I sometimes use whey protein shakes. Its quite easy to absorb. I get the myprotein impact whey powders.

They are the best I've tried. They do loads of flavours, and you can order some samples to try. I at tje moment I'm using the choc nut and mocha flavours. They taste nicer with milk, but are ok with water.

And I take it they're low in sugar and carbohydrates? Sorry for all the questions, just want to do this right.

I like protein water or shots taste better, I dilute them to make them taste more like squash as I find them too strong neat, also saves a bit money , by making them go further.

I also like the myprotein, especially the banana :) tastes like a banana milkshake. They also do samples at 99p on ebay - try before you buy :D

Where can you get the protein shots or protein water? I will definitely give myprotein a try, saw it mentioned here before but wanted to make sure.

As far as I know they are fine for veggitarians. Definitely not suitable for vegans though, as whey is a milk derivative. Yes they are low in sugar and carbs.

Yes, me too. V interested in this. Am veggie with dairy allergy so am struggling to get protein. I do eat fish but six weeks post bypass it's still a bit hit and miss, and can be an expensive mistake. Thanks Yve, I too will look at Myprotein xx

If you have an allergy, then whey may not be suitable. But I know they do soya protein products.

Thanks. I can do dairy in modest amounts but too much milk, yogs, eggs, light cheese, etc sets my skin off so can't 'live' on them ...

Sorry if I'm being a bit thick - just on the Myprotein website ... What am I looking for exactly ... Dowah! :)

Look in the protein section. There are loads of products that are designed for different purposes. I found it takes a bit of reading (in the goals section) up to get a handle on it all! I just went for the simplest stuff really (the whey).

Yes, me too. V interested in this. Am veggie with dairy allergy so am struggling to get protein. I do eat fish but six weeks post bypass it's still a bit hit and miss, and can be an expensive mistake. Thanks Yve, I too will look at Myprotein xx

I'm afraid their whey protein isn't suitable for you as Fiona said but they do egg proteins and soy. Alternatively holland and Barrett do a pea protein and hemp.

Thanks Ines for this thread ... I'm due to drive down to Southampton (10hr journey with rest stops) & just don't think motorway cafe food is going to be the best thing so thought about taking a few protein drinks with me for the journey down but haven't a clue what are the best.

From MyProtein I'm using Impact Whey Isolate. It's a bit more expensive than others but has the best protein contents with the lowest calories.
I make it up with 200ml ss milk and it tastes like a milk shake of the flavour you prefer.
I love changing flavours so I buy the unflavoured type and use both the MP flavourings and the FlavDrops. And both can be added to milk or coffee to flavour and sweeten with no calories.
I used whey every day for breakfast for the first 3 months to keep protein intake high enough and I still use it now and then when I'm in a hurry.
From MyProtein I've tried beef jerky (useful pocket snack, a bit expensive though) and protein bars (the pink ones, I got them free with a voucher, good replacement meal in case you need one).
I'm not a fan of replacement meals but it's useful to have something to eat in your handbag if you're unable to eat a proper meal...better than skipping meals.

Just wanted to say thank you so much for recommending the impact Whey shakes... They are fantastic and actually yummy! Right now I'm having the impact whey isolate shakes, and love the strawberries and cream flavour. I knew I would get great recommendations on here. :)

Back