• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Psych appointments...UPDATE....WOOHOOHOO!!

Meggie

Hi,
I have my psych appointment in a few weeks. I was just wondering what the psychologists asked people in their appointments. I'm so worried about saying the wrong thing and having to have treatment of some kind before surgery. Obviously if I genuinely need some then I am happy to go........I know it'd be stupid to not be prepared fully before my op. However, I do not believe I have problems with food at the moment. Most of my issues have stemmed from becoming lazy and having bad habits. I don't binge eat or really comfort eat.

Any help on this would be truly appreciated, especially from those people who were assessed by the team at St Anne's, London.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi,

I was under a different team, but had a lengthy psyche eval before funding was granted. I basically was asked to go through major events in my past, when I had started gaining weight and did I know why, what support systems I had in place, who was around for me to talk to, and how prepared I felt for surgery. I blubbed the whole way through and passed :) and those that know me will vouch for me questionable sanity!

Hi Meggie,

I had mine privately a few weeks ago, it was very straightforward, lasted about an hour and was really just general chit chat about my eating history, my feelings towards surgery and my feelings about life in general.

No taxing questions were asked and I didn't blub although felt like it at one point! I don't think there are any right or wrong answers, just be honest and you'll be fine!

Good luck,
Cuppa xx :D

Hi,

I was under a different team, but had a lengthy psyche eval before funding was granted. I basically was asked to go through major events in my past, when I had started gaining weight and did I know why, what support systems I had in place, who was around for me to talk to, and how prepared I felt for surgery. I blubbed the whole way through and passed :) and those that know me will vouch for me questionable sanity!

Thanks Hun. That is very good to know. I'm not very good at talking about private things from my past so feel I may cry too!!! I think I'll be fine as I don't use food as a crutch anymore! Just thought I'd ask other people's opinions and experiences so I feel fully prepped for it!!!

Hi Meggie,

I had mine privately a few weeks ago, it was very straightforward, lasted about an hour and was really just general chit chat about my eating history, my feelings towards surgery and my feelings about life in general.

No taxing questions were asked and I didn't blub although felt like it at one point! I don't think there are any right or wrong answers, just be honest and you'll be fine!

Good luck,
Cuppa xx :D

Hope you don't mind me asking but how much did your Appt cost? And where did you have it done? I've booked mine with the same psych as we'd have on the nhs but it isn't cheap!!!!

Thanks for your helpful comments by the way. I feel a bit better about it now!!!

Hi Meggie, I couldn't get funding so have had to pay for the op privately, I paid a package price which includes apps with the dietician, psychologist etc, what the cost would be individually I don't know.

The meeting is really nothing to worry about hun. :D

Cuppa xx

Hi Meggie, I couldn't get funding so have had to pay for the op privately, I paid a package price which includes apps with the dietician, psychologist etc, what the cost would be individually I don't know.

Cuppa xx

Ah ok! I'm sure I'll be fine! Just feel a bit up and down emotionally at the mo!! I went through this weird up/down time right at the start and I think I'm starting to freak myself out again because I've actually started going to appointments. Feels a bit more real somehow!!!

Thanks

Meggie u will be fine hun, u dont use food as a crutch or binge i think like many of us u just like ur food hence all of us being in the situation we are all in now needing surgery to correct a lifetimes of eating wrong (well in my case it has been a lifetime :) )

Meggie u will be fine hun, u dont use food as a crutch or binge i think like many of us u just like ur food hence all of us being in the situation we are all in now needing surgery to correct a lifetimes of eating wrong (well in my case it has been a lifetime :) )

Thanks hun. I know I'm just worrying myself over nothing but can't stop myself either!! I'll be fine next week!! Just switch off your phone until then!! Hahahahaha!!!

I think I was fine until my boss called me into the office. I still don't know what to tell her. My sister suggested just telling her the truth but I don't want anyone at work knowing. But I need to come up with something quick as I need to talk to her this week. I feel like she doesn't believe me about having all of these appointments, and now I have to book even more!! So I KNOW I have to say something. I have taken copies of all of my appointment letters to date, tippexed out any details about the surgery etc and am going to show her these. Not sure it'll help but at least she'll see I'm not lying!!!

Ramble, ramble, ramble.........back to work now!!

Cuppa xx

Hey, me again!! Did you have yours in London? If yes, can you remember the name of the person? I'm having trouble getting an appointment with the psychologist I was going to use as he is going away for two weeks and only works 3-7 on a Thursday!! Thought I might try and find someone else but don't know where to start!!!

Thanks

Hey, me again!! Did you have yours in London? If yes, can you remember the name of the person? I'm having trouble getting an appointment with the psychologist I was going to use as he is going away for two weeks and only works 3-7 on a Thursday!! Thought I might try and find someone else but don't know where to start!!!

Thanks

Would any of the clinics on this list be of any help?

Eating Disorders Treatment : UK Treatment Clinics

If you're going private I'm pretty sure you can self-refer so it's probably just a case of ringing around for prices and waiting time xxx

Meggie you would have to check with Lorna if Mr Heath would allow you to go to an independent clinic, Lorna is on annual leave till the 9th November.
Lol in response to ur last post bout switching off ur phone this week, its ok i think i can put up with your texts lol they keep me occupied and at least i dont have to stare at the 4 walls for the mins i am reading ur texts and replying lol.
Could u maybe tell work u r having a hernia op and ask ur doc on the sick note to just put gastric surgery, at the end of the day its not their business wat op u r having and they should be more flexible with you.
Take care hun chat soon am sure and keep those texts coming :):):)

Hi Meggie

I understand your fear about the psych assessment but really it is nothing to worry about. I had myself in such a tizz before mine I was convinced they would lock me up in a padded room and throw away the key, if I was honest. But I was honest with them and it was fine. It only lasted about 20 mins. I was explaining it to a friend recently and basically it is a bit like doing the theory test for driving, you may not know the answer to questions but you know the things they want to hear and the things they don’t want to hear. For example they asked me if I ever deliberately threw up after food (like I would be this size if I did!), did I eat regular meals etc She asked me to go through the previous day’s eating and tell her what I ate and I was completely honest with her and told her everything I ate including the take away the night before. . She asked me questions in response to my questionnaire that I have previously filled in and it really was a piece of cake. I think they just want to know that you are doing it for the right reasons, i.e health etc and that you have a realistic view of how life will be after.

You will be fine J

Has anyone actually had surgery refused following a psych assessment? ... or been asked to attend a course of therapy before they're allowed surgery?

Has anyone actually had surgery refused following a psych assessment? ... or been asked to attend a course of therapy before they're allowed surgery?

Hi Twiggie not sure bout being refused have not heard anything like that b4 but Kirsten did mention in our info meeting that if the psych decides u need therapy you have to have it b4 surgery and that could be a few months long.
Take care luv Roch xxx

hi had mine done at st anns hospital she just went through eating habits how much ate how i felt mt triggers etc spoke of wat i knew on surgery as well she asked loads of stuff was really nice to me sshe thyen told me she thought i was fit for surgery and wrote her report and sent me 1 as well........im under mr mannur at homerton and the phycologist worked with him there also xx

hi had mine done at st anns hospital she just went through eating habits how much ate how i felt mt triggers etc spoke of wat i knew on surgery as well she asked loads of stuff was really nice to me sshe thyen told me she thought i was fit for surgery and wrote her report and sent me 1 as well........im under mr mannur at homerton and the phycologist worked with him there also xx

That is very good to know hun. I will also be going to St Ann's so may have the same person!!! I don't forsee any huge problems but you never know!!!

How a day can change things!!! I got a call earlier from the lovely people at St Ann's saying they had a cancellation and did I want it. It's for this Friday (the 6TH!!!) at 11 a.m. I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooo happy as it means I won't have to pay £300 for the private assessment, and I won't have to wait weeks AND the report should be through in time for my appointment on the 7th of December!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo,fab news lol i told this to ya already in a text this afternoon lmao :):):)
Am so chuffed for ya Ellen big time that finally things are moving on for ya after such a prob with all ur appointments.
Just need ur sleep study to come through and u will be done and dusted app wise by the time u see Mr H on the 7th so fingers crossed the study comes through any day now.
Take care hun chat later am sure lmao xxx

Back