• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Update on ongoing psych appointments

novamay

Born Free
hi all,

I had my 3rd psych appointment the other week and we talked about how overeating is a very successful coping mechanism - I disagreed with this at first because I know what my overeating has done to my body; but the point was that it is very succesful 'for my head'. My head just needs to find another coping mechanism that isn't so hard on my body! Simples??? :rolleyes:

So, my homework is to look at what things drive me to cope by overeating. I've identified the following:

1. Habit - this is something that I've done for 40 yrs - automatic response is to eat to feel comfort.
2. Sensitivity to external cues and believing the stereotypical image of a 'fat' person is true; hearing a comment from a stranger, friend or family which I take to heart.
3. Sensitivity to external food cues - a hightened awareness of food when dieting - smell, appearance, tastes and textures all appear stronger when we can't or shouldn't have them.
4. Emotional triggers - as 2 above but also feeling tired, sad, lonely, bored, etc; and Fear (this is probably my biggest trigger!) of failure; thought of as stupid, greedy or lazy; upsetting others; not pleasing others; conflict/confrontation; and
5. The use of food to control these feelings.
6. The lack of other pleasures in life.

No 6. was an eye opener! when I think about it food is my greatest pleasure. I don't do much other than be at work, or at home - think I need to get out more!

Im going to keep a diary of when I overeat and see if I can highlight any of the above reasons on those days; what I was doing, how I was feeling and so on.

I've also looked at mindful eating - which is mainly making food the focus while you eat/drink rather than the tv or the internet or a book, etc. Also going to look at when I eat because I am hungry, and see if I can recognise hunger rather than just a feeling of 'emptiness' (which I get but I know isn't hunger!) - with an aim to find out what else can fill the emptiness at that moment other than food.

So quite a good session when all said and done.

Wish me luck! :wave_cry:

thanks for sharing....... good luck hun xxx

Good luck, I hope the diary works for you...anything that helps on this journey is a worthwhile tool

Good luck with it. Sounds very much like the CBT I did before my surgery. I found it very helpful in the weeks immediately post op. Bear in mind though that it is so easy to slip back into old habits again. I need to keep getting back on track and using the skills I've learnt again. However I have noticed that I'm much more aware of the reasons behind my binges and they no longer escalate into days of overeating like they used to.

Back