• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Putting It Back On Again...

Mrs Quiggle

Does anyone worry about this. I have a friend I was at school with on FB who had a bypass a few years back and everytime I post on there that I've lost weight etc. she is always so pleased for me and mentions that she is putting it back on again and must start to diet or do slim fast etc.

I'm terrified of putting it all back on again like I've done in the past. Is it easy to put back on again or is it just a case of just eating like we are now for the rest of our lives. I can't see me eating loads more than I'm eating now, some days I'm not managing to eat enough calories which is why I only lose a pound a week. Good healthy weightloss though!

Kate x

I worry about it all the time and I'm only a month in! I have always been up and down in my weight

I think it is a fear we all bury deep in the back of our minds. Having tried & failed so often in the past it is bound to be. I think whilst we only eat small amounts compared with in the past if we allow our old habits to sneak back in then we could & probably will regain after all this bypass, band or whatever surgery we have it is a tool not an ultimate solution. We still have to take responsibility for our eating & exercise as well as dealing with our demons to allow us to use our tool to it & our best advantage.
I have regained the odd pound or two if I've been constipated or not done much exercise or kept up my fluid levels or allowed old demons to get the upper hand. So yes I have my fears of regaining but hope that the nagging fear will keep me on the straight & narrow & stay on the maintainence side of control when I reach that stage.
Others may have their views & opinions but for me I'm glad it's there in the background to keep me honest with myself & hopefully not regain any of what I've fought so hard to lose.

Hi

Just remember surgery is no more than a very effective tool to help us overcome our food addiction, which basically is what we all have, if you want to cheat and ruin all that hard work then yes it can be done and you can end up just as big post surgery as you where before. Don't worry about anyone else's lack of control, just work on your own.

Addiction is a terrible thing, I used to smoke 60 to 70 cigarets a day, but gave up the day Denis Heally put them up to a pound a packet, so that's in the early eighties and I still to this day find myself staring at hem in the news agents, so addictions can be with you for years, and long after you think you have kicked the habit.

Just take it easy and don't be tempted by foods you know you shouldn't be eating and don't be tempted to try to eat too much in case you stretch your pouch. Follow the rules and you will be ok.

Paul

Maintaining is the hard bit... we have to keep in perspective what we have learned in the time we have lost the weight, and do our best not to slip into pre-op eating habits. by keeping a healthy frame of mind and keeping the odd treat as exactly that.. we should be able to maintain xx

I read on someone's signature here a little statement that I'll probably remember for years to come.... 'It's not a diet, it's a lifetime commitment'.

I try compare it to smoking, one cigarette won't do any harm to our bodies but mentally, it'll make us want more. The same goes for that packet of crisps or the McDonalds burger that we all loved.

We might be slim with our bands and bypasses but we will always be "fat people" who regain weight much easier than someone who is naturally slim. Slip ups and returning to old habits is dangerous and will most certainly take us down a slippery slope.

It's a choice between your new slim body or the tastey but devilishly unhealthy foods - it can't be both.

I really do think it depends how much work people have done on their minds to make this as much a mind bypass as a stomach bypass.

I read the rules of the pouch thread today and will make sure that once I am healed I refer back to it. I feel blessed to be given this chance by the NHS and wont be wasting the money. Likewise, would feel the same if had had come out of my pocket. But then I am stingey(sp?lol). So wasting money goes against my nature lol

I really do think it depends how much work people have done on their minds to make this as much a mind bypass as a stomach bypass.

I read the rules of the pouch thread today and will make sure that once I am healed I refer back to it. I feel blessed to be given this chance by the NHS and wont be wasting the money. Likewise, would feel the same if had had come out of my pocket. But then I am stingey(sp?lol). So wasting money goes against my nature lol

I agree, it's a once in a lifetime opportunity for anyone (NHS or private) so we need to find all of the willpower to make it work for the remainder of our lives.

It's not just about the surgery either, this is our last chance to do something about our weight... all of the diets and everything else we've tried have failed and this surgery is the final thing. If we can't make it work then we have nothing else to fall back on. Easier said than done and slip ups will happen to every one of us but as long as we acknowledge it and try harder to make sure it doesn't happen again, all will be fine I'm sure. :cool:

I agree! Its the rules of the pouch thread, the doctor talks of the reasons the bypass can fail for people. I think he hits the nail on the head.

Personal responsibility is a big one in my mind. Not one of us are perect, or we would not be in this position. However, we have to learn to be 'better' and do 'better'.

I am this size because I use it to hide from myself. Losing the weight will be like Shreks analogy of the onion lol. Once I have peeled away those layers and found the treasure (I believe this totally, so wont be disappointed! rofl), I wont be covering it back up for nothing!

I feel for the people who fail to change their mindset. It is a very hard challenge to take on and not all of us can win. Just the nature of life :(

Good luck comrades!

I agree! Its the rules of the pouch thread, the doctor talks of the reasons the bypass can fail for people. I think he hits the nail on the head.

Personal responsibility is a big one in my mind. Not one of us are perect, or we would not be in this position. However, we have to learn to be 'better' and do 'better'.

I am this size because I use it to hide from myself. Losing the weight will be like Shreks analogy of the onion lol. Once I have peeled away those layers and found the treasure (I believe this totally, so wont be disappointed! rofl), I wont be covering it back up for nothing!

I feel for the people who fail to change their mindset. It is a very hard challenge to take on and not all of us can win. Just the nature of life :(

Good luck comrades!
im so scared that my head is going to let me down :(

I have that fear too Caren. We have years of bad habits to get rid of :(

I have had times in weight management where my life has been hard and biscuits have crept back in. A bit of cake and custard. I had promised myself that wouldn't happen. But stress is hard!

So, I have been having a big word with myself. I now have to BAN myself from having my triggers ever again. I think we will all be able to enjoy some things we like now and again. But trigger foods have to be banned or I am doomed.

This stuff is a lot more serious than some people take it. I see some people on the forum really not getting it. And I feel for them. I really do :(

This is why groups like this are amazing... to help us keep on track xx

I was told that I have "A golden year" when the weight will fall off I will feel great, this is the time to aim for my goal weight - then like most weight lose diets/lifestyles ets - it's the maintenance that's the really hard bit.
If you think about it, that is probably what we have all done over the years, managed to stay focused and motivated when we are seeing good results and when it plateaus off we can become deflated and feel we are failing again and that can be when the bad habits sneak back in and the weight gain comes back.
I think we all need to remember that we are basically S*** at maintaining weight lose that is why we turn to surgery for assistance in the first place - for me it's that year down the line that scares me as I know the ball will completely be back in my court then!
keep calm and carry on as they say!!
x

I'm four years out and have maintained for over year. It's a way of life, I give it very little thought. It's like being a normal person, sometimes you have to watch what you eat because a few pounds have crept on and most times you're so active it just takes care of itself. Worry is wasted energy, just do your best!

Anna x.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Some true and good advice up above. Concentrate on your own journey op and not worry about what may or may not happen - Just because your friend is gaining don't assume that you will, don't wish to speak out of turn of your friend but it maybe that because she is gaining and feels like she is failing that she maybe somewhat jealous, or it could be that she is giving you some word of warning. As I said I don't know your friend so just thinking/talking out loud, Wishing you all the best xxx

I am waiting for my op but do think about the what ifs regarding weight gain and as said previously this is a lifetime commitment

I keep thinking that once I can run (not been able to do that since pre teen years) and become active this will give me the push to be able to do this all the time as in my dreams I always see the slimmer me running so determination and a head change of thinking of food as fuel rather than a reward should be the right combination to keep the weight off

but I do understand that this is a major concern for many of us as self doubt creeps in this weight has been here for many years and has become a familiar friend and foe but WE WILL ALL KEEP IT OFF the health benefits are there for us all to see no weight gain for us

Same here....the thing is i seem to be the complete opposite to how i read most people are with food.....i eat a lot less if i'm upset or something has gone wrong....i overeat when i'm happy!

It got to the stage i almost enjoyed being unhappy or fed up with something as it kept me away from food.....weird :confused:

I'm having my surgey on the 12th and know i have to change my whole way of thinking about food, when i'm happy and have no worries i don't need to celebrate with food! hopefully i'll be able to switch it around and because i'll be loosing weigh,t do things like go shopping for clothes that i cant wear now!

I know it wont be easy but i feel quite determined to do it.....a determination i've never felt before so hopefully i'm making the right decision.

Right now i'm determined that when i become the "new me" that wont just mean being slimmer.....it'll mean i dont have to celebrate with food!

My dietician talks a lot about non food reward...nails done, shopping, massage etc :)

I am a mood eater...I eat whatever mood I am in! lol

My dietician talks a lot about non food reward...nails done, shopping, massage etc :)

I am a mood eater...I eat whatever mood I am in! lol
me too :rolleyes:

Back