• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Question for those who went private

ladylite

How long from your first consultation did you have to wait before you had your op.

Also I am electing to go to a hopital which is 2 hours away from where I live as I have seen it on TV "The Fat Doctor" and have been impressed with what I see, do you think I am doing the right thing. I will understand that it will only be your opinions.

Start to finish about 2 weeks. Actually might have been shorter but I had to fit my pre-op appt in before the first date available so I had it the following week.
I think do what's right for you, other's opinion isn't important as you know your own body and mind and it's your quality of life isn't it?
I knew I couldn't lose my excess alone and I was tired of hiding myself out of shame and feeling a failure...and most of all letting my kids and partner down because I wouldn't / couldn't participate in life with them.. Everyone has the collywobbles before this kind of op and no-one can really tell you what you should do. If you feel in your heart that it's worth it then you do what you have to do. xxxx

It can only take a matter of weeks, your paying for it so it does make a big difference, your their customer and what you say goes basically !

A hospital 2 hours away from home should be fine, your only in hospital for around three days, so the travelling is only really done by those visiting you.

Good Luck x

Oh Shxt...... that has taken my breath away, must do more research.

No this feeling is exciting...... whey hey.:)

Basically you are in the driving seat, if a date 2 weeks away doesnt suit pick one that does. Remember you will have to do a preop diet first to make sure your liver is nice and small and doesnt get in the surgeons way. These vary in length of time and also what you can eat (or drink). I waited a month to coincide with a bank holiday so I got an extra day off work.

Good luck x

Mine wasn't quite that quick as my surgeon insists you lose 5% of your bodyweight before he operates to show commitment from you. So in total mine was 7 weeks from my first consultation to my actual op.

Good luck with your decision,
Cuppa xx

As everyone says you are in control when going privately. Mine was 6 weeks but that was only cause i was on holiday then my chosen surgeon was! I could have been done and dusted within two weeks. I travelled from Glasgow to Manchester ( about a 4 hour journey) i was in hospital two days and the journey back up by car was no bother as we stopped frequently. From my own experience i would say its well worth travelling to get the surgeon you feel confident with. xx

Thanks for your replies they are really helpful.

AM. Basingstoke is a lot closer to me, I think I will need the Bypass as there will never be any funds again, so if it didnt work that would be it.

I am seeing Mr Slater at Chichester but I beleive they do surgery in basingstoke, was it a good hospital?

Yes, like most private hospitals really. They do have an HDU there which was an important part of my decision making (some private hospitals don't). I know that Shaw Somers operates there every other Monday - not sure about Guy Slater.

Mine took 10 days from 1st appointment as i had to do slimfast diet for that time!!! Good luck

I could have had my surgery the following week but ended up waiting nearly 6 weeks as I needed to arrange my husband to be home with the children. I had my operation on a Friday and was home on Sunday and it was three hours from my house to the hospital. Best decision I ever made.

I waited about a month, I was given a selection of dates, from two to six weeks after my first consultation. As others have said it's pretty much up to you. My daughter has had a consultation but has told them she will need to wait six months to get the money together.

I think I waited 2 - 3 weeks, I remember being really frustrated at waiting, and wanted it NOW!! But realistically, the wait was fine, and I had to do the pre op diet.

I also travelled to the hospital where I was having surgery (about 3 hours) and the only frustration I had with that was having to drive there and back 2 days before surgery for my pre op physical and bloods, and to meet the surgeon and anaesthatist, that was very frustrating!

I have to say I found travelling in the car for that amount of time 3 days after surgery AWFUL, and if I had to do it again, I would go to a local private hospital, and certainly when I get my tummy tuck done I will be opting for local, as the journey was just so uncomfortable, and I had to keep getting hubby to stop the car as I was so nauseus :-(

Rx

Back