• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Question for us girls or boys who sit down :)

Roch

Shrinking away nicely :)
To all of us especially women :)who are having our ops in a nhs hospital and will be sharing bathrooms have you thought bout the situation when you are post op and the catheter is out and u r still in quite a bit of pain and u need the loo.
I am really funny bout sitting on public toilet seats and i wont ever plonk my arse on a public toilet seat and in the past had to squat or cover the seat with toilet paper but still was not easy especially squatting over a toilet seat at 27 stone:) 9/10 i would wait till i got home sometimes all 8/9 hrs and then be busting for the loo.
So one time when i was on a plane i saw disposable toilet seat covers, that can be flushed down the loo and i thought wat a fab idea
When i got back home i looked on-line and there are plenty of company's that sell them.

When i finally get round to having my surgery this is something that will def be near top of my list, there is no way i want to have major surgery then having to squat over the toilet seat or plonk my fat arse on the seat that others have used and tbh i dont know what germs or infections they may or not have.
I know this might sound over the top to some but unfortunatley that is me all over lol, was just wondering if anyone else was worried bout germs and infections with sharing public toilet in the hospital.

Hi I can see where you are coming from. When my brother visits with his family we get through loads of toilet paper. I carry around one of those small bottles of hand cleansing gels you can get from the pound shop. At home I have those flushable toilet wipes for guests to use if they want saves on splattered seats and floors.

Rebirth

Hi I can see where you are coming from. When my brother visits with his family we get through loads of toilet paper. I carry around one of those small bottles of hand cleansing gels you can get from the pound shop. At home I have those flushable toilet wipes for guests to use if they want saves on splattered seats and floors.

Rebirth

So its not just me then :)

Disposable Toilet Seat Covers (3 Packs of 10 Covers)
Hi Roch
I found these on ebay under health and beauty . Good thinking hun .
Margaret xx

LOl its not something that most of us think of when making our list of wat to take to hospital but at a time when we r prone to infection as we just had major surgery and we dont have the luxury of standing up and doing a wee:) its def something that comes handy and is a lot quicker and less fiddly then putting toilet paper round the seat that comes off when u sit down, or cleaning the seat first which i still dont like in a public toilet, gosh i am fussy lol:)
They are the ones i use 2 u cant go wrong £5.95 including p+p for 30 toilet seat covers :)

You may not have this problem at all. After the cathetar is removed, some hospitals like you to pee into a bedpan - made of thick card stuff. They like to measure the fluids! You won't poo for a few days, so no worries there 'til you get home. x x x

You may not have this problem at all. After the cathetar is removed, some hospitals like you to pee into a bedpan - made of thick card stuff. They like to measure the fluids! You won't poo for a few days, so no worries there 'til you get home. x x x

Omg there is no way at my weight i can pee into a bed pan :D:D:D:D

they stick the cardboard bed pan in the commode (mobile thunder box) lol :D

To all of us especially women :)who are having our ops in a nhs hospital and will be sharing bathrooms have you thought bout the situation when you are post op and the catheter is out and u r still in quite a bit of pain and u need the loo.
I am really funny bout sitting on public toilet seats and i wont ever plonk my arse on a public toilet seat and in the past had to squat or cover the seat with toilet paper but still was not easy especially squatting over a toilet seat at 27 stone:) 9/10 i would wait till i got home sometimes all 8/9 hrs and then be busting for the loo.
So one time when i was on a plane i saw disposable toilet seat covers, that can be flushed down the loo and i thought wat a fab idea
When i got back home i looked on-line and there are plenty of company's that sell them.

When i finally get round to having my surgery this is something that will def be near top of my list, there is no way i want to have major surgery then having to squat over the toilet seat or plonk my fat arse on the seat that others have used and tbh i dont know what germs or infections they may or not have.
I know this might sound over the top to some but unfortunatley that is me all over lol, was just wondering if anyone else was worried bout germs and infections with sharing public toilet in the hospital.

Hi Roche

Those disposable toilet seat covers are in a lot of public toilets in the States...Never seen them here...Thing is, thin paper barriers won't stop the germs filtering through anyway...Sorry, but it's true.

I too am a bit finicky about toilets but what I do is wipe it with the antibacterial hand gel that I carry with me...Always on tap at hospitals, so I would use that.

(((hugs)))

I hopeif you have the energy to be routing in yr bag post op for yr seat covers. Personally i think you have less chance of picking something up off the hospital toilet seats on the ward as they are for patients only. i didnt have aq catheter and was up peeing within 3 hrs of surgery with drip in tow, leg cuffs on and trying to keep my neither regions covered whilst i waddled there couldnt of carried anything else. but plenty of hand gel and hibiscrub in the toilet.
hth
carole

Hi Roche

Those disposable toilet seat covers are in a lot of public toilets in the States...Never seen them here...Thing is, thin paper barriers won't stop the germs filtering through anyway...Sorry, but it's true.

I too am a bit finicky about toilets but what I do is wipe it with the antibacterial hand gel that I carry with me...Always on tap at hospitals, so I would use that.

(((hugs)))

Never thought bout that one will def make sure i have some anti bac wipes and always have the gel in my bag lol.
Its so nice to see that i am not the only person like that:D:D:D

LOl its not something that most of us think of when making our list of wat to take to hospital but at a time when we r prone to infection as we just had major surgery and we dont have the luxury of standing up and doing a wee:) its def something that comes handy and is a lot quicker and less fiddly then putting toilet paper round the seat that comes off when u sit down, or cleaning the seat first which i still dont like in a public toilet, gosh i am fussy lol:)
They are the ones i use 2 u cant go wrong £5.95 including p+p for 30 toilet seat covers :)

I can honestly say that after having major abdominal surgery thiss is probably the least of my worries. I may just pop aa small bottle of dettol in my washbag to give the seat a gentle wipe over if i'm worried about hygiene. If there are any nasty germs i can't see a paper loo cover offering much infection protection!

But if it helps you feel better then go for it, don't look to expensive....

Lol after 24 hrs of contractions every 1 min i still covered the seat with something x b4 i sat on it in hospital lol
I suppose its just something i am used to as from a little girl i was always taught to not sit on toilet seats so its habit lol

You are a lot more likely to catch an infection in hospital than you are anywhere else.

I got a proteus infection (hospital induced) so don't blame you at all for worrying about it. Not sure it was off the toilet seat but the lady in the bed next to me did have two infected abcesses on her bottom due to her diabetes so it was constantly at the back of my mind.

I do think the Flash wipes idea is a good idea and not one that many of us would think of pre-op.

Good thread this.

God I thought I was the only germ freak on the planet :giggle:
I will only use a public loo if its a matter if life & death, I hate when my children are out somewhere and I hear the dreaded words 'I need the toilet' oh God I cringe, my back breaks as I wont let them sit on the loo so I have to hold them up over the toilet!!, its awful
I have hand gel everywhere, in the car, in my bag, in the baby bag, in the bathroom, in the kitchen, its everywhere!!
My children are turning into freaks too especially my daughter, she wont go anywhere without gel for her hands, I dont know of thats a good or a bad thing, she got really bad after seeing the swine flu advert where the man sneezes all over the lift, it totally freaked them out!
So im with you on this one.......toilet seat covers all the way!!

You are a lot more likely to catch an infection in hospital than you are anywhere else.

I got a proteus infection (hospital induced) so don't blame you at all for worrying about it. Not sure it was off the toilet seat but the lady in the bed next to me did have two infected abcesses on her bottom due to her diabetes so it was constantly at the back of my mind.

I do think the Flash wipes idea is a good idea and not one that many of us would think of pre-op.

Good thread this.

Hi Bonita, thanks hun for ur post, i think that so many of us totally forget bout the hygiene in hospital bathrooms as all they have on their mind is recovering from surgery, but at a time where we are even more susceptible to infection as we have just had major surgery, although we might be sharing a bathroom with others who have had wls surgery who know`s what infections they do or do not have.
I think i will use the flash wipes and then sit on the toilet seat covers as will feel more comfortable.

Thanks hun, take care and have a good day xxx

God I thought I was the only germ freak on the planet :giggle:
I will only use a public loo if its a matter if life & death, I hate when my children are out somewhere and I hear the dreaded words 'I need the toilet' oh God I cringe, my back breaks as I wont let them sit on the loo so I have to hold them up over the toilet!!, its awful
I have hand gel everywhere, in the car, in my bag, in the baby bag, in the bathroom, in the kitchen, its everywhere!!
My children are turning into freaks too especially my daughter, she wont go anywhere without gel for her hands, I dont know of thats a good or a bad thing, she got really bad after seeing the swine flu advert where the man sneezes all over the lift, it totally freaked them out!
So im with you on this one.......toilet seat covers all the way!!

Lol u sound just like me, i have gel in my bag and a bottle on my kitchen work surface :)
I was always told as a child never sit on a public toilet seat so i suppose i have always grown up with that.
I def dont want to be picking up any germs whilst in hospital that could add extra time on to my hopsital stay or recovery so flash wipes and covers will def be with me in hospital along with my andrex toilet paper as no way want to use that nasty stuff they give u in hospital :)

Back