• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Question

mariew said:
Nice guidelines are BMI +40 or +35 with co morbids. I can't see why 36 would be too low but I certainly think 30 is far too low for a bypass.

I haven't got any health problems... Apart from being obese... Which is a health problem in itself??!! I didn't even bother going to my GP as I also researched and discovered the above.... I just didn't want to put on a few stone just to be considered for surgery. I by no means could afford it, I bought my first house on my own a year and a half ago and had to get a loan over 3 years to afford the op - but as I said in a previous thread, if the band helps me lose weight and get back to my old confident self then it'll be the best money I've ever spent.
I really wish everyone the best sucess in whatever weight loss journey they choose. Xxx

All of your comments are really interesting and thank you for taking the time to respond. I did lots of research into the bypass last night and I don't think I'd be eligible for one so I'm going to go ahead with the band and somehow quit the sweets.

To the person who said 'just go to the gym'. Yes I'd love to go to the gym every day but I'm a single parent with 2 under 6's and no support whatsoever. I work full time and then I'm home with my kids - there is no gym time for me. I've also tried every diet there is and always ended up putting the weight back on and more. The Wls is a last resort for me - I can see myself headed towards my dad and his mum and 20 odd stones.

Thank you for all of your opinions, they really helped.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Karen just to reassure you hopefully. I had a massive sweet tooth before I had the band six monhs ago. Previously I would fill up on fuel approx three times a week and at the same time buy a couple of family size bags of chocolates and eat both of them very easily in half an hour while still in the car. Then I would go on an eat all my normal food as well. I couldnt eat just a couple of biscuits, it would be the whole packet. I couldnt freeze part of a batch of baking to stop me eating too much, as I found out very quickly you can still eat frozen deserts/cakes. Sounds awful, but true. And I am sure I am not the only one who has been in that place.

My head is in the right place most of the time now. I do have my odd moments, where I think I am craving sweets, but when I have them, they really dont taste as good as they used to. My taste buds seem to have changed. I really really prefer my savoury food. Thats obviously only my experience, but all of us going through WLS are different.

Good luck with whatever route you choose x

Karen_Ponte said:
All of your comments are really interesting and thank you for taking the time to respond. I did lots of research into the bypass last night and I don't think I'd be eligible for one so I'm going to go ahead with the band and somehow quit the sweets.

To the person who said 'just go to the gym'. Yes I'd love to go to the gym every day but I'm a single parent with 2 under 6's and no support whatsoever. I work full time and then I'm home with my kids - there is no gym time for me. I've also tried every diet there is and always ended up putting the weight back on and more. The Wls is a last resort for me - I can see myself headed towards my dad and his mum and 20 odd stones.

Thank you for all of your opinions, they really helped.

Hi hun...do what I've done...as I too don't have the time to commit to gym memberships..I've bought a treadmill off eBay..£125 fully motorised and it's ace..stick my soaps on the tv and off jogging I go in my pj's lol. You can hire them too. if you want any support re band don't hesitate to ask..I was more a savoury person yet post op I want/need chocolate lol...but a mini bag of buttons or a one finger time out a day gives me my fix then I go upstairs to prevent me dipping in for seconds :)
The band will help your portion control so you can't eat a big takeaway anymore but a few spoonfuls and youre full...but I still have to remember what bit I do put down reflects on my scales so try my hardest to eat healthier now...but I'm not perfect!!! xx

I am the same as you massive sweet tooth... but because you go through pre op diet then recovering diet all in all you won't be eating normally (albeit smaller quantities) for about 6 to 8 weeks depending and now still want chocolate but I get that sickly feeling a lot quicker to the point of not enjoying it as much as I did so don't finish a chocolate bag anymore and like flutterby said your taste bud ll change and adapt. Wishing you all the best. Any questions we are all here for you xxx

I've ordered my treadmill :) Thank you so much for your responses.

I'm going to join my fitness pal too so if any of you have user names you're willing to share so I nosey at your diets, please share them with me!

13 days to go!

Ooooo well done on the treadmill!!! My username is the same on my fitness pal so feel free to add me :) JO28172 xx

Back