• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Reactive Hypoglycemia, managment with diet?

EnigmaticSapphire

Recently I had been feeling tired and faint. Started testing my glucoseagain and noticed it was low on days I was working and hiking. Consulted with my nutritionist and surgeon and they agreed that I am experiencing Reactive Hypoglycemia which they think I can manage with diet changes. I am looking for others that have experienced this and wondering what food changes you made to manage this. They suggested I eat less fruits gluten free grains (I have gluten allergy) and replace with extra protein bars instead. :(

I am a little discouraged as I thought I was supposed to be learning to eat healthy portions of good foods again, not depending on shakes and bars and picking at chicken all day.

Hi.. I had a similar situation about a year or so post op, I focused on having dense protein at breakfast, and more protein 3 hours later, and shortened my workouts in duration and increased frequency instead, meaning; instead of walking an hour, I walked three 20min sessions. and a typical day intake for me is like this:
Breakfast: 1-2Eggs (fried, boiled, omelet, etc..) plus coffee or milk.

Snack: another boiled egg of a piece of white cheese or yogurt.

lunch: Salad with chicken or tuna or plain. (My main meal)

dinner: Mostly I do not eat but if my lunch was early (I usually eat around 3pm), I'd eat some form of meat or have yogurt, or greek yogurt.

As long as there was dense protein every few hours my glucose levels were balanced, and stopped dropping low.
hope this works out for you :)

I eat every two to three hours throughout the day which is 6 mini meals in total, this is usually porridge and protein yoghurt as it suits my stomach. Watch your carbs..I can give myself a hypo with high sugar food and I then sweat a pant and my heart races before I fall asleep for 2 hours.
I walk a lot, average of 8 miles a day currently but as long as you keep eating and drinking water you will be fine.

Back