• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Really struggling and no weight loss!

Helski

Hi All,
Looking for a bit of support really. I was banded last October and have not really made any progress with my weight loss. I'm finding it so very difficult. To be honest I hadn't anticipated that I would need to go on a strict diet. I thought the band would just make me feel that I didn't want to eat so much. I feel like a complete failure.
Yesterday my mum said did you see Jenni Murray is going to get a band, I hope it works for her as it obviously hasn't worked for you! I was so upset, so what do I do turn straight for the biscuit barrel! I'm so fed up.
Sorry for the moan, but it is really hard.:sigh:

Oh dear, sorry to hear your mum isnt being sympathetic. Unfortuntely I cannot help in terms of food etc as I am not a band-it and will be going for a bypass. But I just wanted to say, that i hope things improve for you and that your weight starts to fall off.

I think with the band, you have to have a diet of some sorts, although I did think that the restriction helps you feel full a little at least. Have you been for a fill to see if perhaps your band isn't tight enough? That might help? Or speak to your aftercare team and see if they have any suggestions.

As long as you still have the band, you can definitely make it work. Don't beat yourself up about a few biscuits, we all have bad days. Just pick yourself up, dust off yesterday and start today as fresh. Phone someone for support and remember this journey isn't easy, but you can control it.

Good luck! :)

Im so sorry your are having no joy with your band...Im not too knowledgeable about bands and how they work....I think you should see your surgeon and explain what is going on...

I really hope your weight loss starts soon....I know it can be very distressing having gone through so much to get a band and it hasn't worked....Take it back to basics and speak to your medical team....All the best hun...x

Hiya
Sorry to hear you not doing as well as you hoped? Does your provider give extra support? how much is in your band?

Hi sweetheart firstly let me send you a friendly supportive hug :) I just want to say having a band is surly not an easy option and it takes an awful lot of determination, drive, desire, willpower all those things we needed pre band unfortunately lol Today you have taken the first step to getting back on that wl treadmill :) with all our support too. Sometimes others think wls surgery is a quick fix, which really isn't the case. Let the comment go over your head, pop the lid back on the biscuit tin and dive into some threads here to help get you motivated again :) Secondly, i would be getting on to your provider to organise a fill if your not feeling any restriction. You don't say how much you have in your band? Speaking from my own experience, i have still an empty band 6 months post op and thru hard work, dieting and exercise have managed to shift just over 6 stone (including pre op) But even with my band empty i must have a little restriction of sorts?? but basically its about following the rules. The band is a mere barrier to help slow you down with your eating, hopefully giving your brain time to register that its full.............. of course its all too easy to eat those naughty things packed full of calories , and for that in comes the willpower......... unfortunately just like being on a diet uughhh Try going right back to basics with the rules........ chew chew chew and see how that feels but certainly call your provider too and the third prong of attack is upping the exercise....... again i speak for myself here....... the dieting (with or without band) is not going to cut it alone..... i got myself a fitbit and now log my movement during the day and have learned that i need to move to get that weight loss (i think they say its -1000 cals a day to get a 2lb loss a week) so if your eating 1000 you need a deficit of 2000 cals to get your loss...... (again that's from my experience) I have gone from walking 300 steps pre op to 5 miles a day most days..... one day last week i hit 9 miles LOL but even now i'm finding the weight loss is slowing down......

Anyway sweetheart, sorry i've gone on and on and on, but i hope some of what i have said helps :) don't allow one bad day upset you..... we all have our days (me today too) but as someone else said tomorrow is another day, a new start, you can do this, and soon enough you will be showing your Mum just how fantastically your doing :) I wish you heaps of luck and strength to get thru this blip :) I find the forum of great help, post away, ask questions and most of all reach out anytime you need help, happy to help anytime x x x x

Thanks all. It does help to hear your comments.
I have 6.2 in a 10 ml band. I had 6.4 but that was a bit too tight, so I think I probably need 6.3 which I will ask for next time. Although that's not until October as they are only near me once a month and next month I'm on holiday.....
Every day, I say this will be the day and then I've usually lost the plot by lunchtime. I don't know what's wrong with me. But I do get properly hungry between meals, but tbh it's probably the nibbles and wine that are being my downfall. I need to sort myself out! x

Back