• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Recommendations Please!

EmDubs

Bleurgh...!
Hi all!

I'm back on the site after disappearing for well over a year... I had a tummy tuck on the NHS back in May 2011 which completely changed my world. I started at 94kgs and was told by my surgeon to lose 10kgs to qualify for the op, which I did within a 6 week period. Since then my weight has gone up to over what I was when I started...

I would like to have a gastric band fitted as I have a BMI over 30 and with family such as my Mum, Dad, Uncle and Grandfather (both of my Fathers side) having diabetes I am worried that I will develop the condition.

I am 30 and am desperate to enjoy my life without constant diets, the constant reminder that I have to spend numerous hours exercising and the ability to be able to feel comfortable on a day like today in a pair of shorts! I've battled with my weight as far back as I can remember and I have had enough!

So...

I would greatly appreciate some recommendations on where you have all had your bands, if possible how much you paid and any tips you can give me!

I have booked an appointment with The Hospital Group in the next couple of days and they're quoting £4995. Is this about average?

Thank you all so much in advance!

Em
xXx

If you have issues with food maybe look at the sleeve as well. More permanent solution in my opinion. No guarantee you will get on either the band as it doesn't stop your hunger so dramatically as you still have ghrelin.

People (me included) have bands as less invasive and cheaper. Many many more fail with the band for one reason or another as opposed to the sleeve or bypass.

Just don't rule them out. From what I've read THG is keen to sign you up. Other hospitals like Nuffield and Spire do free WLS presentations. Take a look at these and don't rush into it.

Good luck!

Thanks for your response ThinnerJemima.

I've looked into the sleeve and the bypass but they're a lot more expensive. Money is obviously a factor in all of this.

I've looked into both Nuffield and Spire and none of them can offer consultations locally enough to where I am.

I'm of the understanding that the bands tightness will assist with the hunger pangs... Is this correct?

Em
xXx

i had my surgery with healthier weight and cannot recommend them enough. I paid more for my surgery as my BMI was over 50.

But it included not only 2 years post op care but 3 years insurance in case of problems. Their pre, during and post op care has been wonderful. I didn't have very good contact with THG and also needed a surgeon and provider with a zero % mortality rate.

The band reduces amounts you can eat in theory but it doesn't always take away the hunger, at almost 13 months post op I can still eat what I want and in what quantity but also my hunger feelings are there ALL the time.

The band can take a lot of work, needs a lot of willpower and control, it's a great tool but only if you can and are prepared to work with it.

Top kat has said some very important points. I am 3months post op with the band, though I have lost about 3 stones. I can still eat what I want and in huge quantity but it all boils down to will power. Though its very much obvious I do not eat large amount of food as I used to but I have changed my lifestyle in general and the hunger pain still comes.

I had my band with surgicare( same as THG) and so far I can't fault them yet, I also wanted a surgeon with a zero mortality rate and Dr super has that. So do a lot of research and u can then take ur decision.

I too had my op with mr super but via THG and I only have positive things to say about both my consultant and provider. Do plenty of research and chat honestly with your consultant about your issues. And maybe see more than just one provider to be able to get comparison.

I do feel hungry still with my band, but perhaps not quite as soon as I would have done preband. Like tonight when i have eaten about 3/4 of an Indian meal ... If I eat a decent size portion I can feel full for 3-4 hours however I try not to push the boundaries so prefer eat smaller portions and more often...which is where the will power has to kick in. I do love the band and the control it has given me though. I think its been a great investment.

Let us know what you decide :)

Thanks everyone.

I haven't been told I'm seeing Mr. Super but as you guys have mentioned his name I think I may change the appointment to see him.

xXx

im a bit different to the others in the fact when my band was working I had no hunger pangs at all and still rarely do now and I had easy weightloss because I hit perfect restriction but I also am now experiencing a failed band due to slippage and all the weight going back on quiet quickly so im now reverting to a bypass.

That's one thing that worries me... Spending all that money for it not to work or having so many problems it has to be removed...

xXx

Mine had to be removed as well as so many of them are due to problems with the port.

Best to save up some more pennies and get a more permanent solution, although you still have to watch your weight down the line with any of the wls.

I think you should discuss the options with your surgeon, ultimately they have more knowledge and it should be a decision made between you and him. Personal preferences from the internet are just that, personal to other people.

My provider discussed my reasons for gaining weight and then we discussed the most appropriate solution that would meet my needs. I wanted to ensure that I worked with my surgeon's recommendations rather than against. Also the mortality rates are very important to me.

My surgeon actually recommended the band, I was prepared to pay for bypass. I was really pleased that his recommendation was not driven by profit.

Why is the band 'not' a permanent solution? :confused:

There is no 100% guarantee with any surgery. Medical advice should be taken ... Following totally open, honest, frank discussion about your issues x

I am only 8 weeks out of surgery and already I feel like the band has make a massive difference to my life... I am gaining more and more control over my life long battles with food every day.. If I really wanted to I could eat large portions, but I try my absolute best to listen to my body and my band and follow the rules, and by doing this I have lost a stone to date, which is about 40% of my total weight to loose.
For me this is a life long solution to yoyo dieting and although I admit to date it hasn't been easy I see a bright future ahead as I know with some better restriction I am very unlikely to pile the weight back on!
I do feel hungry after about 3-4hours but never starving as I would before, I eat far smaller portions, In fact less then my 5 year old, I feel I can eat all the foods I fancy, and my guild around food is already starting to disappear.

I was banded by Mr Li at THG, and all though I felt it was a production line, I did not mind, I wanted the procedure and they were my local provider and the price was ok. I do feel that most of these companies only employ excellent surgeons and all also work for a number of private companies and the NHS... I let the GMC do the vetting, a title of MR was enough to reassure me..

Good luck with your future

Lou x

Hi Em

As you already know surgery is a big deal and WLS is not the easy way out the press or some of your peers may think.

If you do decide to go down the surgery route rather than going for the cheaper option you need to consider whats going to be best for you!

Here's a useful link with comparisons:

Bariatric Surgery | Surgical Weight Loss Options | UCSD Bariatric and Metabolic Institute

The most important thing to note and is that all options require a willingness to make significant lifestyle changes.

Good luck with your research! x

What happens if it doesn't work? Is it just 'Oh well, goodbye' and that's it? I mean that's thousands of pounds up the swanny and I'm back to square one.

Plus it's a little scary thinking about being in a private hospital... Silly as it may sound but you hear so many horror stories. I think it's because any ops I've had before have all been on the NHS so the surgeon has had to be fully qualified and regulated... Just don't want anything to go wrong as I see this as last chance saloon for my weight battle and I so desperately want it to be successful.

As far as i am aware, the surgeons operate both in the nhs and privately so they are still qualified. Horror stories can happen anywhere. Any surgery whether via the nhs or private could have issues or on the flip side, could be just what you need to be successful. I think all we are saying, is go in well prepared/researched, open eyed and realistic about the pros and cons of wls. It may not be a waste of thousands of pounds! :)

Back