• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Regrets

And the bowl thing is so normal, believe me. Smaller bowls, smaller plates will help.

It was actually my providers recommendations in fact - they gave me a diet sheet with all this stuff on :)

I didn't get much at all from my provider - they told me that they don't have a diet and I should just trial and error it. They did say 3-4 desert spoons though so I probably did over do it last night!! I must admit I'm feeling a bit down today thinking I may never be able to have anything sugary again (stupid i know)!

Not stupid at all this whole journey is hard on the emotions. You may well manage other things - and in time it will lessen.

i'm so sorry it did this to you i usually share it into 4 pots so maybe it was a bit much xx i feel terrible recommending it now :( hope you are better soon x

Hi Angie, don't worry at all - I should have realised that I was eating too much. Pre-op I would have eaten the whole pack so I figured half would be ok! I had no restriction with it going down and I didn't think the sugar was too high (esp. when compared to normal AD)!!

emmakc said:
Hi Angie, don't worry at all - I should have realised that I was eating too much. Pre-op I would have eaten the whole pack so I figured half would be ok! I had no restriction with it going down and I didn't think the sugar was too high (esp. when compared to normal AD)!!

Get yourself some baby bowls and plates,it really helps with portion control.

I wish I had a time machine and could go back and undo what I've done! I'm sure I'm the only person who feels like this - I've spoken to two post op patients at my hospital who had bypass after me and they are loving it already.

yes, I'm losing weight but its so bloody hard. I never ate because I was hungry so head hunger is a big part of it, and there are loads of things that I'm grieving - just normal things that the rest of the family has.

Last night hubbie did meat and potato pie (corned beef, boiled pots, gravy topped off with pastry). I had some and a v. small bit of pastry (postage stamp size) - 45 mins later I was in agony and spent half hour on the loo:-(

I thought, wrongly, that I'd be able to eat whatever I wanted just in smaller portions but it looks as if it is healthy diet for rest of life with no treats. I know I need a kick up the bum, and this is what people want but it just all seems so depressing right now.

Emma it really is still very early for you xx don't get yourself in a tizzy over it , i didn't have bypass but DS and i can only eat small amounts even almost a year after surgery but i keep reminding myself why i had the op in the first place and i know i would never want to be like that again , i was told one day Angela you just won't wake up so it really was life or eating rubbish xx i'm sure it will get easier and you will be able to have some of the things you used to enjoy but you may have to adapt to lower fat sugar etc a very good friend of mine had bypass two years ago she eats eveything now just less of it and knows what to avoid for dumping etc :) good luck and try to think positive and baby steps honey xx

I wish I had a time machine and could go back and undo what I've done! I'm sure I'm the only person who feels like this - I've spoken to two post op patients at my hospital who had bypass after me and they are loving it already.

yes, I'm losing weight but its so bloody hard. I never ate because I was hungry so head hunger is a big part of it, and there are loads of things that I'm grieving - just normal things that the rest of the family has.

Last night hubbie did meat and potato pie (corned beef, boiled pots, gravy topped off with pastry). I had some and a v. small bit of pastry (postage stamp size) - 45 mins later I was in agony and spent half hour on the loo:-(

I thought, wrongly, that I'd be able to eat whatever I wanted just in smaller portions but it looks as if it is healthy diet for rest of life with no treats. I know I need a kick up the bum, and this is what people want but it just all seems so depressing right now.

Pastry does exactly the same thing to me even now, after 2.5 years. I just can't do it. It's one of those things I've accepted I can't eat anymore. But through trial, error and experience, there's lots of things that in the beginning I couldn't stomach (literally!) and now am ok with. There needs to be some acceptance, I think, that your diet needs to be as healthy as possible especially in the beginning to maximise your opportunities for weight loss and health benefits, or else all this horridness that you're feeling right now (and you're certainly not alone there!) will have been for nothing, and we can't have that! You're also only a few weeks out, unsurprisingly feeling a bit pants and that's completely understandable, trying to get your head round this thing. But you will. Don't be like I was, so impatient for everything to go right and getting totally wound up when it didn't, that you lose sight of the greater goal. This thing takes time, physically and mentally. You WILL get there.
BIG HUGS xx

Thanks for all your replies. I'm much more positive now although at the moment I'm
Still kinda regretting my decision (too late now)!

It's very hard for example waking up thirsty in the middle of the night and having to sip a glass of water - hopefully this won't be for too long

I also get a tightness under my ribs like a band of rubber being stretched kinda like a too tight bra or being pregnant which is quite uncomfortable.

I don't think you can prepare yourself preop for what it's actually like when making this life changing decision

Hopefully in a few months I will love it and will be referring others to this post!
I'm glad I came across this post because this is EXACTLY how I have been feeling (I am 6 days post RNY) and to see I am not alone has given me renewed hope.
So, thank you

Yes ladies hang on in there it is very early days I AM just over 1 yr and 2 months post bypass and I can eat most things, but only in small amounts, if I go out for a meal I ask for atake out box or take a one with me, I bring it home and eat it the next day, or give the other bits to who ever is with me at the time. I still go out for a dri nk, just dont have anywhere near what I used to, it is life changing and it is tough the first few weeks thinking what have I done and I cant go back but hey you'v made a good healthy choice, I have dumped very rarily but I try to watch what I eat sometimes I have the odd treat but only in ver small portions now. I still eat the protein first then the veg then the carbohydrates last usually don;t eat much if at all. So that is better for me, I think I am going without if I don't have potato on my sunday lunch and yet feel really proud of myself when I leave it there and don't touch it cos I'v had enough to eat without it. I don't regret it at all, I just wonder what the future will hold and I worry if I will be able to keep off the weight permanently, but time will tell, I just have to try and keep a tight rein on things. I have been very stressed of late and have been eating healthy but have had the odd naughty thing but small portion only would have been much bigger quantities a couple of years ago. Good luck ladies and keep posting it does help to know that others are feeling or have felt the same as you. Ask away about anything you want to know there is usually someone who can answer, wether its an answer you want to hear or not is another kettle of fish but can't have it always. HAPPY WEIGHT LOSS xx

Last edited:
How you feeling Emma?
I have been reading your posts and see you have had a bit of a tough time.
I hope you have turned a corner and things are getting better.

All the best
SNx

I'm feeling much better now thanks - I think to a certain extent its all about positive mental attitude. I kinda felt robbed that I couldn't have the foods I used to have (the foods that made me fat lol).

I've just had my postop appointment and I fell much better. I need to keep telling myself that I would never have lost the weight alone and that I'm lucky that I could get the money together and have support of family to look after kids etc to actually have the op done in the first place.

I was borderline diabetic before the operation so without it, it was a matter of when not if I got diabetes.

Im on normal food now, the hardest part is my brain agreeing to the portion sizes. I knew before the op that portions would decrease but I didn't realise to what exent. It is literally the size of a petit filous tub, anything more and I spend a couple of hours feeling quite sick.

I've been able to tolerate most things so far (apart from angel delight and corned beef/pastry)! I've had toast in the mornings and crackers with pate for lunch - also had beef, a small bite of bacon. My sweet tooth has not gone (which I thought it would) - I still miss chocolate desperately but I'm too scared to eat it after the angelgate lol

All in all, I think its getting better and better - but really, when people say it isn't the easy way out - it isn't!!

Glad you're feeling better Emma and you're thinking on the right lines got to remember why we did this in the first place and why we got so bloody fat we needed to do it :) take care and well done x

Hi Emma glad its getting better for you. If its similar to the sleeve your portion sizes will go up so try and enjoy the mini portions and weight loss while it lasts.

Hi Emma,
Great to hear that things are getting better.
Keep us updated!
All the best
SNx

Emma if you're craving chocolate that bad, maybe have a look at the thorntons no added sugar? Its nice enough that even if it doesn't work for you your family can finish it off.

Back