• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Researching...

puddytats

So, I'm 6 weeks post bypass, and have just sent a message to my 'old' dance school. I started with Jazz and Musical Theatre, but I had an email last week that this class is stopping, and not sure if this is permanent or not. I stopped going with the pressure of my last placement at uni, last year, but also, I was having terrible problems with my knees, all weight related, and I stopped going. The school did a dance show 2 years ago, and I was involved in that, but I am not involved this year, due to surgery, plus having holiday, I didn't think it was fair to restart if I couldn't commit, when they are learning routines for this.

So, after I've rambled, above, I've just sent an email asking if they think I'm suitable for the ballet fundamentals course, which is the 5 week course, they recommend for total beginners. I've explained that I've had a bypass, I've explained I used to attend Jazz, as the tutor is different, and I'm hoping she'll talk to my old tutor, who is also the owner. I feel like I did when I made that very first move, 3 years ago, asking, shyly, if an overweight woman, who has always wanted to learn to dance, could join their Jazz and Musical Theatre class! If I can go, I can, afterwards, go to their ballet beginners class, weekly.

If it's full, they run courses throughout the year, so that's ok. I've also been through the fitness timetables for my 2 local leisure centres, making a list of all that sound interesting over the week, factoring in my other commitments! Zumba seems to be a clear winner at the moment. There are a lot of classes on a Monday and I can't find any I like on a Friday. I hate the gym, I am not going to join on a whim, as I know that I will never go. I'm also a beaver scout leader, but I'm not too happy at my group, which opens up another night.

The only thing I can't find, is a timetable for swimming. I can't go on a morning, as the local pool doesn't open until 7, and I need to be on the bus just after 8, for work, so it isn't an option (I'm an awful dawdler when I get dry), so I'll wait for the new adults only timetable to go up, which should be up for next week.

Am a bit excited. Even if the dance school say no to ballet at the moment, when I've lost more weight, it is an option I can go back to.

countrywench

That all sounds like a lot of fun !

Gemmmmmmmmmma

That sounds amazing. I'm really pleased for you.

I did GCSE and A-Level dance, but stopped once I left college. I regret it so very much.

I too am 6 weeks past bypass, and have started looking at classes I want to take. To be honest all of the dance ones jumped out at me, but I'm still feeling self-conscious about my size.

I really hope I can be as brave as you. Xxx

FeeBee

Congratulations! Finding something you enjoy is vital :) I'm starting to look for something I can safely do too and I really hope I can find something that inspires me as dance seems to you x

puddytats

That sounds amazing. I'm really pleased for you.

I did GCSE and A-Level dance, but stopped once I left college. I regret it so very much.

I too am 6 weeks past bypass, and have started looking at classes I want to take. To be honest all of the dance ones jumped out at me, but I'm still feeling self-conscious about my size.

I really hope I can be as brave as you. Xxx

I'd never danced up until 3 years ago. I took the plunge, and the hardest part was walking in the first night, especially on my own. The tutor was really friendly (I'd emailed her prior, explaining I was v overweight, never danced before and did she think I would cope. She said yes, and it took a few weeks, but by the end, the only thing I couldn't do was the star jumps in the warm up - 8 facing the front, 8 to the right, 8 to the back, 8 to the left and 8 back at the front!

Through the dance school, I have increased my confidence, took part in a show on stage and took part in the local #thisgirlcan campaign. I'm also lighter now than I was then...I'm hoping that ballet is as fun - it doesn't matter if I can't do it properly, that will come, same as jazz (still can't spot for turns)

I was 21st when I started. I'm now just over 19st.

Congratulations! Finding something you enjoy is vital :) I'm starting to look for something I can safely do too and I really hope I can find something that inspires me as dance seems to you x

I can't stand the thought of being in the gym, alone, pushing through. At least with dance, it's social. The jazz classes started with a warm up, then skills, before a mini routine and cool down. Before the show, we did those routines for weeks and weeks (Vogue - Madonna/Gotta Be Starting Something - Michael Jackson/Footloose - Kenny Loggins). I was knackered at the end of it all. I'm disappointed I stopped and won't be in this show, but I would have missed 6 weeks rehearsals up to date and another 2 when I'm away, so it just wasn't possible anyway. These things happen for a reason and with the jazz class closing, means I get to try ballet. I may hate it, and after the course, may never do it again, like tap, but I'll know.

I quite fancy Zumba at the local leisure centre and aqua aerobics as well as swimming. Will start with one at a time though! Swimming timetable not out yet, wonder if they're waiting for the kids to go back to school

FeeBee

I do dance stuff at home because when I fall over I land on the sofa :)
It sounds fantastic though and like you're raring to get back to it.
The gym isn't for me either and I've not been able to find a disability friendly exercise class but I did find one class or aqua circuits that happens in only one of the many leisure centres once a week. it sounds ideal because it's using gym equipment in water. I'm much more confident in water because it doesn't matter if I fall over :) it's totally the wrong time of day and in a place that I'd need to taxi there and back though which makes it so expensive :( by the sounds of it you'll be an exercise queen in no time!

puddytats

I work on the theory that the money I'm not spending on food can go on exercise. Thankfully, I don't have taxi fares to pay for tho.

FeeBee

The food bill hasn't gone down much really because the rest of the family are still eating normally and i wasn't someone who eat a huge amount anyway the weight just didn't come off. Plus since I was retired all i get money wise is PIP and they slashed that payment too :( so there was and still is nothing spare sadly.
As I posted elsewhere I'm going to stick to trying to walk more when I can. It's free and doesn't require a new outfit ;)

puddytats

These cuts are so sh*t; see it daily at work and personal experience - mine was stopped. I'm so lucky there is only me here (with the two cats - their food bill hasn't changed!). Walking is good. I live on top of a hill, so it's always uphill home!

I can't keep my trousers up at the moment!

FeeBee

So many innuendos for that last comment but I'll be good ;)

SAM55

The food bill hasn't gone down much really because the rest of the family are still eating normally and i wasn't someone who eat a huge amount anyway the weight just didn't come off. Plus since I was retired all i get money wise is PIP and they slashed that payment too :( so there was and still is nothing spare sadly.
As I posted elsewhere I'm going to stick to trying to walk more when I can. It's free and doesn't require a new outfit ;)
If you fancy walking Fee then have a look to see if there is a Walking for Health Group in your area. Mine offers a slow 30 minute walk once a week for people who have health problems or are recovering from surgery.

FeeBee

I think there is but to be honest I prefer to do it alone. My job involves listening to often quite traumatic things all day, I have 2 very talkative children and it's often my only time to think or listen to music or podcasts without taking my headphones out every 5 seconds :) I've already started building up my steps gradually but unfortunately I think I've got sciatica the last few days and the pain is getting worse so I might end up needing an xray to check I've not cracked my spine :(

SAM55

I'd never danced up until 3 years ago. I took the plunge, and the hardest part was walking in the first night, especially on my own. The tutor was really friendly (I'd emailed her prior, explaining I was v overweight, never danced before and did she think I would cope. She said yes, and it took a few weeks, but by the end, the only thing I couldn't do was the star jumps in the warm up - 8 facing the front, 8 to the right, 8 to the back, 8 to the left and 8 back at the front!

Through the dance school, I have increased my confidence, took part in a show on stage and took part in the local #thisgirlcan campaign. I'm also lighter now than I was then...I'm hoping that ballet is as fun - it doesn't matter if I can't do it properly, that will come, same as jazz (still can't spot for turns)

I was 21st when I started. I'm now just over 19st.

I can't stand the thought of being in the gym, alone, pushing through. At least with dance, it's social. The jazz classes started with a warm up, then skills, before a mini routine and cool down. Before the show, we did those routines for weeks and weeks (Vogue - Madonna/Gotta Be Starting Something - Michael Jackson/Footloose - Kenny Loggins). I was knackered at the end of it all. I'm disappointed I stopped and won't be in this show, but I would have missed 6 weeks rehearsals up to date and another 2 when I'm away, so it just wasn't possible anyway. These things happen for a reason and with the jazz class closing, means I get to try ballet. I may hate it, and after the course, may never do it again, like tap, but I'll know.

I quite fancy Zumba at the local leisure centre and aqua aerobics as well as swimming. Will start with one at a time though! Swimming timetable not out yet, wonder if they're waiting for the kids to go back to school
Hi I have a friend whose partner is involved with the Northern School of Contemporary Dance in Leeds if you haven't heard of them or is that the one you have been too? It appears they run contemporary dance classes for the community. http://www.nscd.ac.uk/learning-participation/ Don't know if Chapeltown is anywhere near where you are?

My local pool runs hydrotherapy classes for people who need the support of exercising in water because of health issues or recovering from surgery, as well as aqua aerobics which I started when I went to my GP for WLS referral, but had to give that up after a year because my knee wouldn't take the running in the pool . I have been going to hydro for the past five years, even when i could barely walk. Initially I was referred by the physio dept following a GP referral Would be in a wheelchair now without it. Great fun and very sociable. I haven't been for the past two weeks as I have been on the LRD and was worried about strenuous exercise and managing my blood sugar levels as I am diabetic. Can't wait to go back as soon as I am able. I hate the gym too, it is so boring. The second and last time I went some years ago I went to sleep on the treadmill whilst watching the boring sports TV they show, fell off and ended up with a big carpet burn on my leg! :whacky068::bolt:

puddytats

So many innuendos for that last comment but I'll be good ;)

:oops:

I think there is but to be honest I prefer to do it alone. My job involves listening to often quite traumatic things all day, I have 2 very talkative children and it's often my only time to think or listen to music or podcasts without taking my headphones out every 5 seconds :) I've already started building up my steps gradually but unfortunately I think I've got sciatica the last few days and the pain is getting worse so I might end up needing an xray to check I've not cracked my spine :(

Hi I have a friend whose partner is involved with the Northern School of Contemporary Dance in Leeds if you haven't heard of them or is that the one you have been too? It appears they run contemporary dance classes for the community. http://www.nscd.ac.uk/learning-participation/ Don't know if Chapeltown is anywhere near where you are?

My local pool runs hydrotherapy classes for people who need the support of exercising in water because of health issues or recovering from surgery, as well as aqua aerobics which I started when I went to my GP for WLS referral, but had to give that up after a year because my knee wouldn't take the running in the pool . I have been going to hydro for the past five years, even when i could barely walk. Initially I was referred by the physio dept following a GP referral Would be in a wheelchair now without it. Great fun and very sociable. I haven't been for the past two weeks as I have been on the LRD and was worried about strenuous exercise and managing my blood sugar levels as I am diabetic. Can't wait to go back as soon as I am able. I hate the gym too, it is so boring. The second and last time I went some years ago I went to sleep on the treadmill whilst watching the boring sports TV they show, fell off and ended up with a big carpet burn on my leg! :whacky068::bolt:

Oh dear! Yes there are TOO many innuendos for that comment. I should have known! I've no men tied to my bed at the moment (it's the only way they stay...!!!) So the trousers come down when I'm walking. I need a pair of braces!

I could start walking but in all honesty it was hard enough getting the motivation to get to morrisons today!

Sam I kniw where the NSCD is, and I never thought of looking there. I did before I found Dance Studio Leeds but never looked since. I'll check it out, thanks. I have a car so getting around the city isn't an issue unless classes start early, as it takes 40 mins to get home on a night, then I need to feed the cats and then get put again.

It's a shame you had to give up the hydrotherapy sessions. I don't kniw of anything here but then I've never looked really. Hope your sugars sort themselves out. I am so.pleased I only had to do 4 days diet but I did 'only' lose 7lb on it. Sorry but falling asleep on the treadmill did make me laugh...it's the sort of thing that would happen to me. I don't get the attraction with the gym.

I've 1 week left before holiday so I want to swim next week if I'm signed off again (long story), as the schools will be back. As long as I don't hit a school swimming session! It's a start then rhe dance can start aftwr my jollies.

Fee, I sincerely hope that you haven't cracked your spine and sciatica is so so painful I hope it rights itself very soon.

FeeBee

My auto correct drives me mad. Why would I mean th r not the for example? Th r isn't even a word!
I've gone for a walk this morning which seems to have helped with the pain which is something. Spontaneous fractures are more of a worry now because I'm so close to osteoporosis and with the bone disease I already fracture much more easily than a normal person. I'm not giving up hope though that if I keep trying to walk more even though the weight loss will mean I shed more bone density to start with I can keep myself out of the danger zone. If not it's more medication for the pill box and I'll cope :) Anyway I'm on the full lot of extra painkillers and muscle relaxant on top of the usual stuff so the pain is manageable :)

Enjoy your swim, hopefully it will be peaceful. I used to go to a regular disabled session which was lovely and chilled out and I never felt bothered being in my costume but it was hard to actually swim a full length :)

countrywench

I've been in a lot of trouble due to auto correct ! o_O