• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Restrictions...

bubbaloo82

Hi, I'm nearly 10 weeks post op.. An really worrying about the amount of restriction I have.. I don't have to sip I can drink up to half a pint at one time... Tbh I haven't tried goin anymore.
As for eatin... I eat on a side plate or small bowl (about a handful) I haven't found anything I can't eat.. Like rice noodles red meat or bread.. I admit I don't eat these often! I have been sick a couple of times.. more need to get it back up as it was hurtin... But found that this was because it was dry or I hadn't chewed properly. I feel light headed an very odd after eatin at times an have felt this throughout the journey since bein post op just wondering if this is all normal or mayb I'm missin signs an not understanding... Pls help :) x jo x

Last edited:
Throughout this forum I've noticed everyone is different. I've found that I can eat fine and any foods from very early on. I've realised the thing is to not compare yourself to othersi and find what's comfortable for you. The way I control myself is to keep track of my calories which works for me. I have 1200 a day. Sometimes more, sometimes less, but always around that.
Hopefully you'll find what works for you. A side plate is fine! Good luck Hun x

Throughout this forum I've noticed everyone is different. I've found that I can eat fine and any foods from very early on. I've realised the thing is to not compare yourself to othersi and find what's comfortable for you. The way I control myself is to keep track of my calories which works for me. I have 1200 a day. Sometimes more, sometimes less, but always around that.
Hopefully you'll find what works for you. A side plate is fine! Good luck Hun x

Thank u :)
How far r u post op?

I too have noticed everyone is different...
Think I might start lookin at calories...

x jo x

I have been largely able to eat anything. I can drink any amount, but I think thats because it just rushes through the pipes, which you can hear!!!
Food wise I also stick to around 1200 calories, I figure with the mal absorbsion that will keep my calories in the right place to lose weight. I am 13 months post op and can eat more than I did in the beginning and my danger is grazing. I have to work really hard to keep that under control.
I occasionally hit on a food that plays me up and there is no reason for that as previously it would have been ok.
I look at it as something I have to work with. Good luck!!!

Hi, Pooh is right, you can't just wait for restriction so you need to find other ways. Calorie counting on my fitness pal is my way.

If you're feeling odd you may be dumping? Try and slow down when you're eating. You may find it easier to get a full signal then.

I think initial restriction is due to swelling mainly so you may not have much. Don't lose heart though. You can do it :)

I use myfitnesspal to count calories and track my protein. I have to be honest, I find it a really useful tool.

As for restriction, mine varies. I've noticed in the hot weather I'm not able to eat as much and my pouch feels very tight. I can eat all meat and fish. I have problems with bread if its too doughy, so I stick to warburtons thins. Rice, pasta and noodles are all a no no for me, but I do keep trying them every now and again.

We are all different even though we've all had a bypass. You just have to find what works for you :)

Hi Jo, I had very similar worries when I had my op as I seemed to be able to eat more than most. Fast forward to 15 months and my portion size has grown by at most 2 - 3 tablespoons. I still eat off my sideplate and I have had less 'stretch' than some. You're supposed to be able to manage a sideplate of food, sometimes less. As long as you are losing don't worry at the moment about calories etc, just make sure you're eating your protein - about half your plate should be protein based. Also, don't compare to others! In particular bypassers are supposed to be able to eat more than sleevers, and your restriction and tolerances will depend on how much scar tissue you have - the less scar tissue, the fewer intolerances and the better capacity. I say better because you do need the nutrition. That said, I am worried that you say you're being sick - make sure you slow down as being sick or having pain are signs that somethings not right.

2 days post op and I am already worried as they gave me a pot of jelly and told me.to eat what I could. I ate it all without any problems. I could have eaten two. My god what if it hast worked

Im more worried they're giving you jelly at 2 days post op?? what are your post op instructions? Also you will not feel restriction for at least 6 weeks. The vagus nerve feels fullness - it has been cut during surgery and will take 6 weeks to heal. Stick to recommended quantities for now.

Jo, I was the same at your stage (and still am. It is nothing 2 worry about, in fact in the long term it may be an advantage. I agree, you don't need to wait for restriction, let your lack hunger work for you and work out a way of eating that works for you. To be honest its basically dieting, but without the agonising hunger. Knowing that you have to maximise your nutrition, making good food choices becomes easier.

Yve, Jo was at St Richards, same as me. We were on puree from day 2.

Ah okay thanks for letting me know - a little consistency from surgeons would help lol

After reading your posts, if you do not have restrictive feelings early on post-op, are you actually relying on your surgery to lose weight or is it just old fashioned dieting like anyone else would do ? I must say it does worry me that as I suppose I am relying on the fact that when I do have the bypass, I don't get a choice to eat too much. I don't want to be able to.

To lose weight and keep it off you have to make permanent lifestyle changes. In the first couple of months you won't feel hunger like you used to so its fairly easy to stick to it. By my stage you will have to diet if you want losses to continue. I was the worst at sticking to diets - perfect until a single slip. Now I can stick to a diet because even though my appetite never really went away, I could satiate it. That, for me, is the biggest difference.

Yve my cosultant suggested it this morning and its on all the post op information. Free clear fluids and jelly. I feel fine. It went down grand and gas stayed down. X

That's totally fine hon - I was just worried the hospital had got it wrong - believe me it happens!

Back