• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Returning to work

I've booked for Gastric Sleeve Aug 12th The glorious 12th in more ways than one.
My concern is how long until I can return to work?
Would appreciate any comments experience of what you have found x:wave_cry:

Hi Punkiefairy,

A friend of mine had a sleeve in April and she was told 2 weeks if an office job. But any jobs that involved lifting or physical 4 weeks!

I was thinking just a week as I sit down, never really thought it would be longer. Luckily my work will adjust my shifts, but need to prepare for longer.

My gp gave me 2 months off , due to the nature of my job(work with disabled adults) did feel great after a couple of weeks but just kept falling asleep when at home was out and about 4 days post op but was on reflection the 2 months off was very much needed, everyone is different it depends on how you are, recovery post op and what kind of job/homelife you have .I personally think get as much as you can and if you feel ok to return to work after talking with your team/GP then cut your time off down
good luck with everything

I was thinking 2 weeks or rather hoping it would no longer LOL.
I'm self employed not much physical really albeit I m a nurse but mainly sitting at a desk these days.

Los 2m don't think I could manage having that amount of time off regrettably. I work as an independent Practitioner so if I don't work I don't earn. I have planned and saved for approx. 2-3 weeks off returning for 4th week on half days. No idea if that's going to be enough but I do hope so.

Los 2m don't think I could manage having that amount of time off regrettably. I work as an independent Practitioner so if I don't work I don't earn. I have planned and saved for approx. 2-3 weeks off returning for 4th week on half days. No idea if that's going to be enough but I do hope so.

I had the bypass and have an office job, I went back in just over a week and was fine, back full time but everyone is different. I wasn't even in hospital 24 hours

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I'm 8 weeks postop & not back at work but I did have my laparoscopic procedure converted to open. I know everyone tries to get back asap but I found it reassuring to hear that not everyone is back very quickly.

The sugeon first said about 4 to 6 weeks off , sounded like a standard about of time off and my gp rounded it up to 2 months had my op on thurday and out on Saturday and felt fantastic but boy I just kept falling asleep, I felt like a cat always dozing off!
Because of that and building my strength up im glad I had that amount of time off as its not easy in my job to for example start late finish early too much of an impact on my job so when I did return I started normal time but early finish and no heavy duties for the first fornight all went great for me

Back