• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Reversed bypass

Fuffs

Shrinking Big Brummie
Hi all

I was on a group on a social networking site and there was a poor lady who had to have her bypass reversed:

"Twisted bowel & stomach pouch tore from rest of stomach - in hospital without use of bowel (no food or drink by mouth for 11months) fed via peg feed into bowel - re-joined in October but now no bypass!"

I did nor realise it could be reversed! I once heard someone mention reversal at support group and thought to myself they must be mistaken.

This lady has been through a hell of a lot and now they wont give her counselling or a revision and she has gained 3st.

Not trying to bring bad news. Just was something that surprised me and thought I would like to discuss it.

It doesnt put me off going ahead with my surgery, as thousands go well. Just feel for the lady :(

It may be that they want her to heal fully and keep an eye for complications before they try again?

It is very very rare, but it is just about technically possible to reverse a bypass (because all of the bits of the stomach remain inside).

Surgeons don't like to discuss it much -- you would have to be in a very unlucky tiny percentage of patients whose complications were so bad that you needed a reversal.

I doubt whether they will "try again" Yvessa.

As was explained to me at my last Whittington support meeting, any surgical "revisions" cause the stomach tissue and intestinal joins to become more and more fragile .... there is a limit to how many surgeries you can perform on the same tissue.

The nurse at the support group was actually discussing "revisions" to gain greater restriction if the pouch had become stretched .... she was basically advising against it as it is a very complicated procedure, and each surgery adds more scar tissue.

Aw poor woman :( I really feel for her xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Aw poor woman :( I really feel for her xx

That is my overriding feeling too :(

I think beyond they physical why's, they should at least give her counselling. This must have been sooo hard on her :(

Fuffs said:
That is my overriding feeling too :(

I think beyond they physical why's, they should at least give her counselling. This must have been sooo hard on her :(

Yes defiantly counselling is the least they can do :( xx

That is so sad for her to have gone through the first op only to have to face another.
One thing about the sleeve the only thng they can do to that is convert it to a bypass as there is no stomach to reconnect !!!!!

It is very very rare, but it is just about technically possible to reverse a bypass (because all of the bits of the stomach remain inside).

Surgeons don't like to discuss it much -- you would have to be in a very unlucky tiny percentage of patients whose complications were so bad that you needed a reversal.

I doubt whether they will "try again" Yvessa.

As was explained to me at my last Whittington support meeting, any surgical "revisions" cause the stomach tissue and intestinal joins to become more and more fragile .... there is a limit to how many surgeries you can perform on the same tissue.

The nurse at the support group was actually discussing "revisions" to gain greater restriction if the pouch had become stretched .... she was basically advising against it as it is a very complicated procedure, and each surgery adds more scar tissue.

Hence the "maybe". As I don't know the slightest thing about this patient I was simply making "suggestions".
Thank you for your "medical opinion"

Yvessa said:
Hence the "maybe". As I don't know the slightest thing about this patient I was simply making "suggestions".

Lol!

That's the thing. None of us lay people know what the amazing surgeons are capable of.

This woman couldn't eat for 11 months!

All I know is she needs help in some form. It's barbaric to leave her hanging. She has asked for counselling and been rejected. So wrong :(

Yvessa said:
That's horrid :( I hope that they can get her some help.

Me too Yve. I really do :(

I was not offering a medical opinion, Yvessa -- just my opinion (the same as you) -- which is why I used the word "doubt". I said I "doubt" whether they would try again.

The reason I said that is based on, not only the Whittington Bariatric nurse's advice about the difficulty of surgical revisions, but also hundreds of hours I spent researching RNY v sleeve before coming to my decision to have a sleeve.

I have actually read about many bypass reversals and other long term major complications, but most of the time don't mention this too much because it might put a lot of current RNY bypassers off.

If you want to find out more, I suggest you google any of these phrases:

-- "RNY gone wrong" or "RNY gone bad"
-- "gastric bypass gone wrong" (or "gone bad")
-- gastric bypass reversal
-- gastric bypass takedown

Admittedly the percentage of patients who do experience those major problems is probably small, but for me I decided I don't even want to allow for the possibility I could be in that percentage. (The sleeve has fewer complications.)

Having read about quite a few cases of bypass reversal, anecdotal evidence (which I have read online as a layperson) would suggest that any further surgery is extremely unlikely and difficult due to the amount of existant scar tissue.

I think it would scare the hell put of me to google those terms lol. I have diagnosed myself many times as having a fatal health problem when using google lol

Well ladies i don't really know much about the sleeve because my surgeon prefers to do the bypass but i was under the impression from the consultant it is extremely rare and they prefer to tell people it isn't reversible so thats something i'v never heard of before as well. Poor lady what a time she's had hope she improves x

I totally agree with you both. She deserves some peace and happiness now xxx

Prior to my surgery I was told by my surgeon that the bypass is reversible but rarely happens and he didn't like to do them.

cah-ching said:
Prior to my surgery I was told by my surgeon that the bypass is reversible but rarely happens and he didn't like to do them.

It's comforting to know if it goes extremely wrong the CAN reverse it. I assume the sleeve is totally irreversible due to taking the excess stomach out x

Magsy said:
Fuffs once again you show what a caring person you are, no judgement just compassion. You are one lovely lady x

Thank you so much Magsy. You have a beautiful spirit, as you always pick up the best in others. Thank you xxx

Back