• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Rights and wrongs at first appointments

kurvykaren

Hi all
Hope you're all having a lovely weekend!
My first appointments are coming up on 25 August, for myself and my hubby. We've got the assessment clinic in the morning, then a group discussion at lunchtime, then meeting the surgeon in the afternoon - certainly a full day!
I've got severe sleep apnoea and BMI as per profile, hubby has diabetes and BMI 44.
Is there any advice anyone can give me on what to do, say or anything that will help us both get approved for surgery. We both meet the criteria so I'm hoping it won't be an uphill struggle, and having read through lots of stuff we both feel tha tthe bypass seems a good option (although I'm sure the surgeon will chose what's best for us).
I'm really excited, but very nervous too. What if they say yes to one of us and no to the other? We're supporting each other, my hubby thinks he'll be turned down and I'll get it (not that he's thinking it's a competition, but I think he'd get quite depressed if that happened).

Any help or suggestions appreciated. I just don't want to go in there, say the wrongs things and make a complete hash of it all.

Thanks guys! x x x:wave_cry:

just wanted to say hi
im not at that stage yet but just wanted to wish you well
im sure someone will be along soon to give u some pointers

Hiya,
I recently had my first hospital appointment after a GP referral.
I think it's just important to be honest. As for choosing which surgery, I was told straight off that at my weight, and with the amount I have to lose, a bypass would be the only option.
If you're worried about funding, have you checked the guidelines for your local PCT? I think you can find them here.....
BOSPA - The British Obesity Surgery Patient Association

hiya kurvykaren
i wish you all the best, i am awaiting my first appointment so i wish you all the best, let us know later on after your appointment how it went and your advice plz.

You both meet the criteria so i wouldn't worry about it, i think you'll both be fine. Its lovely you've both got each other for support. Just be completely honest with the surgeon cause to be honest i don't think there's a right and wrong answer to these questions, good luck to the both of you xxx

I went privately for my op so have no first hand experience of the assesments and appointments you mention but as the others have said you have to be honest. It has to be right for you and your hubby and the surgeons need to know you are physically and emotionally ready for this life changing journey. Wishing you and your hubby the best of luck and i really hope all goes well for both of you x

Hi Karen,

If I were in your shoes... I would go with a mindset that you know what you want, what you would like to achieve and what is best for you...

Showing determination, plus honesty helps us to succeed in situations and it may be a good idea if you both write down a list of reasons why you feel the surgery is the best option for you and any other information that may help you on the day...

I always tell people to make a list from the heart of their needs and wishes for appointments of any nature, clearly you both have much to gain from the support of your WLS team and don't be afraid of saying exactly how you feel.

When you have done your list, sleep on if for a day or two and keep amending it until you feel happy with what you have written...

As an example, I would include a brief history of your situations, a summary of you present difficulties and everything you have tried to do to help yourself...

Finally, I would list your hopes and aspirations for your future...

Since they are going to treat you both as individuals, it's best to do you own lists to take with you, but it can give you strength to walk in with this to back you up, as often, if you are like me, you can forget vital points when you are in a situation.

I do hope this may be of some help and please come back to me if I can be of any help to you both..

With kindest regards, sending love and good luck to you both. Bev xxx

Last edited:
Hi Karen, Honesty honesty honesty!!!, well i was so shocked when i got my funding as other than having a start BMI of 56 i had nothing else wrong with me, when i got my funding the first thing i said was how?! The answer i was given was simply my honesty! so there you have it sometimes honesty does pay, best of luck to you both ;)

Thanks guys.
I wasn't planning on lying about anything, that wouldn't do me any good in the end, just wanted to be sure I didn't miss telling them anything important that would help my casae, but I guess they know what to ask.
I should just stop worrying and go with the flow when I'm there. Leave it in the hands of the experts.
Thanks again. x

Hey Karen sorry if my reply came across as i thought u was going to lie!! i didn't mean it that way all i meant was thats the only advice i can offer :eek: sorry if we got cross wires!!

Oh no Em - I didn't think that at all, I just re-read my original post and it did sound a bit like I was looking for a cheating way of getting through it lol.
No offence taken at all hun.

GoodLuck.gif

Back