• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

RNY Gastric Bypass running after gastric bypass

Ines4C

So eight weeks ago I joined a ladies running club and it is going great. On my own I can already run 8 k, all be it very slow, in about 1 hour and 5 minutes. I am entering a 5 k race in ten days and slowly want to improve and run longer races. My question is: Has anyone become a regular runner after gastric bypass surgery? Has anybody ever ran 10 k, half marathons or even a marathon? If so, what would you advise re nutrition? Is it even wise to try and run a marathon after gastric bypass surgery? I am far, far away from running a marathon at the moment but would love to improve and build up my running ... my body is craving it now. My goal is a half-marathon in 1 or 2 years time ... if it is feasible for gastric bypass patients, that is. Any advise would be appreciated.

carrieb

Happy Bypasser
Sorry, I know nothing about running, but just wanted to say well done - in 8 weeks you seem to have done very well, and when you do run that marathon I will sponsor you!

ThinnerJemima

Here all the time.....
Well done in getting the running bug :D I've got it too, haven't had a run since 24th January, the day before my last surgery and it's properly doing my head in now :eek:

My running had improved exponentially since wls, I'm not a better runner, just thinner so my speed and endurance is much increased.

Firstly a marathon is an excellent goal to have. I've done two now. A reality check, it's 42km, 26.2 miles, yes MILES :eek: be very sure that you are up for the 1 -2 years training for this daft thing to do. More than likely you'll be injured many times, it'll be boring running in the rain for hours and hours and hours... Etc. think very carefully if you are to go down this path. Be realistic. It's not about the day of the race, it's the miles you put in day in day out for the previous year.

Running a 5km is an achievement, improving your time is an achievement. If you have a Parkrun near you, getting your 50 runs shirt is an achievement.

10km's are next, then 10 miles, Half MarathonS are the next order of the day. No harm in stopping at any of these great milestones.

Take it easy, get proper trainers, a running club as you have found is a great place to be. Enjoy running, that's the greatest achievement.

A bit of advice on races you enter. Big events are stupidly expensive, why pay the high entry. Running clubs and smaller events are much cheaper and more fun. An exception to this is the Muscular Dystrophy run in Oxford in May, Cambridge in October, and there is another one somewhere else, it's only £20, for the 10km.

Enjoy it. I'm so jealous at the moment as I can't run to I'm healed more, it seems like weeks and weeks....

Ines4C

Well, ran my first race today. 5K, in 40 minutes and 34 seconds. Was hoping to do better, but I did it, and it was my first race. Thought I would attach a picture of me with my metal.

Attachments

• image-668817032.jpg
    image-668817032.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 75

Ines4C

And now I am entering a 10 k race ... Am I crazy or what! Three days after my surgiversary, the 11th May. Bristol 10 k ... If I find a guide runner.

FatBoySlimin

I had my bypass in July and started running on Jan 1st. Absolutely love it. I'm running 5k In about 30:28 and I've got two 10k's and a 5k entered In the next couple of months. I'm aiming for a half marathon next summer but we'll see how it goes. There's a big group of runners that swear by protein based energy as opposed to carbs. All the best and enjoy it. Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Ines4C

5 k in 30.28? Flipping heck I'm lucky if I get it done in under 40. Which 10 K are you running?

FatBoySlimin

Aye that's my quickest to date. Usually I'm about 32 minutes.

I'm doing the balmoral 10k and city of Aberdeen Baker Hughes 10k.

It'll come. I started training on the couch to 5k programme and found it really good for building stamina.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Ines4C

Great. I am doing the Bristol 10 K in May. I think I'm not as quick because I'm visually impaired, therefore I am a bit hesitant on obstacles.

stuart111_2000

I had my operation in October last year, and will be running a half marathon next Sunday. It is an excellent goal, and requires training, and takes time. I have run 2 practice half marathons, and will be doing my final practice on Monday.

You will be surprised how far you can go, just try to push yourself a bit each time, and make sure you have rest days.

I am also signed up to do a 100 mile bike ride on the 1st June. I have seven weeks from the half marathon to train for that. I know that will be a tough one, but am hopeful.

Ines4C

I had my operation in October last year, and will be running a half marathon next Sunday. It is an excellent goal, and requires training, and takes time. I have run 2 practice half marathons, and will be doing my final practice on Monday. You will be surprised how far you can go, just try to push yourself a bit each time, and make sure you have rest days. I am also signed up to do a 100 mile bike ride on the 1st June. I have seven weeks from the half marathon to train for that. I know that will be a tough one, but am hopeful.
how soon after your operation did you start training? I have only started running about three months ago. I actually am pushing myself a bit more each time any way, sometimes I think I'm a little bit too ambitious. Thanks for the encouragement, and the very best of luck for your half marathon.

Ines4C

Ah okay ... I didn't really start until 8 months out. Do you try to eat differently on days where you run a lot?

FatBoySlimin

This is a great thead. I'm just back from an 11k this morning and ran it just 1hr15.

Not sure how anyone eats on run/rest days but intend to carb up the day before and have a protein fest on run day. Not sure if it's the best way to do it but it seems to work for me.

Ines4C

This is a great thead. I'm just back from an 11k this morning and ran it just 1hr15. Not sure how anyone eats on run/rest days but intend to carb up the day before and have a protein fest on run day. Not sure if it's the best way to do it but it seems to work for me. Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery
thanks. I'm just worried that I'm not eating enough now that I burn more. As for what you are eating, I guess whatever works for you is great.

FatBoySlimin

I know what you mean. I burnt 1400 kcal this morning so it was straight back for clean protein and fluids. I'm happy to have a big calorie deficit so long as I keep eating sensibly and don't feel I'm starving myself.

FatBoySlimin

Stuart that's a crackin' time. Well done.