• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

WLS - getting messed about!!!!!

Mamma Chef

I am so upset, why am I less important to the consultant than the person/s they have put me back for?
I came to a Seminar in June 2009 with my husband to give him support it really opened my eyes that I was a walking heart attack waiting to happen, while there the dietician who spoke to me and said I should be refered myself as my BMI was 42.

My first first seminar was 30th September 2009 we were told if you done everything right, lost weight attended meeting etc, surgery would be a year after this date!

16th February 2010 next appointment, Ryhope hospital, very excited as September seemed so far away! Start of the new year! got weighed and I lost 1 & 3/4 stone (as told in September your journey starts here today). I wasn't given an amount to lose because I had done so well losing this weight. I smiled all day I was so happy! I had worked really hard to lose the weight. I was told that because I had lost so much weight that I would probably end up getting surgery before my husband!! But would hear from them in 6 weeks time as they are getting everyone to have the camera down before seeing the consultant, great I thought......I still haven't been sent for to date!!!!! that was approx 23 weeks ago!!

I received and appointment for 27th September 2010, at 2:45pm (on 16th February). I was really pleased if I was put on the waiting list it would be 18 weeks after this appointment (fantastic)

My husband queried his surgery in the mean time with the secretary as his 18 weeks was getting very close, he spoke to her about me, and the appointment for the camera, Then i was told my appointment time had changed from 2:45pm with mr Balupuri to 4:10pm the same day!

My husband was told that the surgery was now taking 26 weeks.. not the 18 we were all told! which brought him up to September for his surgery he has his appointment for his surgery now.

I was a couple of months behind my husband in having the surgery going from the seminar and all the appointments.

Today I got a letter through the post.... Mr consultant has changed to Mr Schroeder!!! My appointment has changed to 3rd NOVEMBER 2010!!!

I am absolutely devastated, gutted, upset, annoyed, frustrated & sick! why me??? why me??? I worked so hard to lose the weight that I am now putting back on! How can they mess a patient around like this. I really can't believe it..I am now looking at Spring/summer next year for my operation. What did I do wrong? Why have they decided that I can't die of a heart attack as much as the people they are putting in front of me on the lists.

It still hasn't sunk in yet, I think I am going to have to make a complaint about it, not sure who to yet.

I know that I have waited this long what is a couple of months... it's a lifetime to me as my health is getting worse, my weight is going back on .... disappointed, totally disallusioned.

Mamma Chef

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::break_diet::break_diet::break_diet:

I can vouch for her disappointment! It seems like organised chaos at Sunderland Hospital, the demand for WLS has obviously exceeded all expectations and the structure does not seem to be handling it very efficiently! I am aware of the extra consultants to reduce the workload, but it is more the administration side that is not coping well. Perhaps it might be possible for someone from the admin/office, to attend one of the seminars or monthly meetings (net one on 29/7), to give their side of the story and explain the present problems with the waiting lists, diaries, etc!
Perhaps Liz (Sld Moderator) can have a word and persuade someone to pacify us through this difficult time. It is stressful enough, without having to go through all these change of appointment dates, times & consultants!
Paul

Last edited:
It's also possible they've had to reschedule people because they are having their budget cut for this year. The whole public sector is suffering severe funding cuts. I would not be at all surprised if surgery rates slow down as a result.

to be fare though I would have thought your budget would have been the year you got referred - June 2009?? so that shouldnt really come into it unless they have spent it on something else!!! i would complain x it cant hurt!!!

to be fare though I would have thought your budget would have been the year you got referred - June 2009?? so that shouldnt really come into it unless they have spent it on something else!!! i would complain x it cant hurt!!!

Funding isn't ringfenced - it's an agreement in principle and there's no pot with your name on it. It means there's a line on a budget sheet but funding can be cut anytime. My first date for surgery was cancelled only 2 weeks after I received my letter giving me the date, because the funding to provide for it was suddenly cut. I went back on the waiting list for 6 months.

I don't really want to complain though! I really just wished that they wouldn't mess you around, you get so built up for these appointments. I know they are taking on people in Sunderland that don't live in the vacinity of the hospital, talking of budgets they have taken on a new consultant, so more nurses and other staff on the way down to cope with the demand..surely they should be slowing down the seminars or something to stop folks like me getting knocked back when you think your going forward. I wonder how many people they have done this to in the last week or so, I can't be the only one who has been knocked back another 2 months from Sunderland, or am I?

o god the more and more i read on sunderland the more i panic... i hope this gets sorted soon for you hun!!! i really do.... i know its not much consluation but i hope things get moving for you quickly xxx

Im so sorry you have been messed about. When I had a problem I spoke to PALS and they were brilliant. Maybe it would be worth you having a chat with them? Hope you feel better soon. X

I can vouch for her disappointment! It seems like organised chaos at Sunderland Hospital, the demand for WLS has obviously exceeded all expectations and the structure does not seem to be handling it very efficiently! I am aware of the extra consultants to reduce the workload, but it is more the administration side that is not coping well. Perhaps it might be possible for someone from the admin/office, to attend one of the seminars or monthly meetings (net one on 29/7), to give their side of the story and explain the present problems with the waiting lists, diaries, etc!
Perhaps Liz (Sld Moderator) can have a word and persuade someone to pacify us through this difficult time. It is stressful enough, without having to go through all these change of appointment dates, times & consultants!
Paul

Hiya Paul, as much as i would love to help, this one is way out of my hands to sort out, it looks like they are distrubuting the main surgeons patients between the new surgeons and patients have now been put on a different appointment list for the new surgeon and this seems to be the reasons for the appointment changes and delays, i can enquire if this is why this is happening, but i cant request admin to come into the support group as they will just say that there trying to do there jobs also, im also in the same position awaiting a date and i have no idea which surgeon will be doing my conversion, its an awfull situation i know and i really do understand both your concerns x

Hiya luv - write a letter to your consultant threatening formal complaint they will soon sort you out, i had a few problems at the begining with the hospital saying they havent recieved letters when infact they have and discharging me saying ive refused sleep ap testing when i havent and thats what i did. i wrote a letter explaining how i feel and telling them its not on and ended the letter saying im not one to complain but if a formal complaint is what i have to do to get somewhere with this then thats what i shal do. i sent it twice (recorded delivery) to surgical out-patients and my consultant so they new i mean business..... low and behold, within a week i had sum1 from out patients phone me to appologise and explain whats been going off and a couple of days after i got my apointment thru to see the surgeon. i was a little worried how they would treat me knowing i had sent my letter but i have been fine ever since every1 was very nice at the hospital and im glad i told them how i was feeling about it all otherwise i recon id still be waiting now. anyway hope you get on allrite and they sort it for you shortly. xxxx

Liz your so helpful hunni!! and everyone else toooo but i thought id say xx

Liz your so helpful hunni!! and everyone else toooo but i thought id say xx

Thankyou Kel, i wish i could help more on this but im only the support group leader and theres only a certain amount of things im aloud to go into with them, it is a shame this is happening right now but theres not alot i can do to help i cant interefere with admin and them re distributing patients to new surgeons and there appointment systems for the new surgeons. :(

hmmm i hope i still see mr balupuri! i realllllllllllllllly liked him... tho i am under mr small xx

It's a really tough place to be in. Both for the patient but also for the hospitals. Demand has grown so much for wls as more and more people are qualifying on the nhs.

We've had the same thing happen at Walsall Manor but it's been happening now for a while. Admin always gets it in the neck. I think all of the surgery providers should give clear written pct approved guidelines on the whole process from referral received to going on the waiting list and then ultimately surgery. At least then people can roughly expect when to get their surgerys...

I do feel your pain though Mamma Chef, i do think wls should be prioritised on patient needs/health but unfortunately this doesn't happen.

hi mama chef
I understand your disappointment as it was suppose to have my bypass this week and i was postponed as they hadnt done tests that should of been done months ago now i have to wait to September................
I hope you get sorted soon hunno thinking of you x

Hi Liz
The reason I mentioned inviting someone from the Admin was not for them to be fired at, far from it. Just to reassure people of the situation and give them the reasons for the obvious problems they are having. They might be crying out to do it this way, instead of repeating the same old excuses over the phone!
After all, we are all working towards the same aim, so a more honest, open strategy might be welcome.
Paul x

your wanting me to request admin in to a support group ???? i can ask but i know i will be point blank refused hun x

'Lambs to the slaughter' comes to mind. If it was handled properly though, they might welcome the opportunity to put their side of the story. If you are able to ask them Liz, at least they know we are thinking of them!!!!!!!!!!

ps - Bev's mam was admitted to hospital late last night, so today's jaunt to Shields is out the question. We were going to have a trip along for a few hours. Have a great time and send our regards to the 'group'. Bet you end up going down Ocean Road for a curry! Lol - Paul xx

Back