• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

SANDWELL PCT

lamornamiss

wants to be a loser
I have just discovered that Sandwell PCT will fund keyhole at Heartlands but not Walsall Manor :(.

Too late for me to change (get my op date today) but worth thinking about if you are at the begining of your journey.

I'm so sorry to hear that, although it's the first time I've heard of someone not getting funding for keyhole surgery. I was under the impression all bypass/banding was now done via keyhole, unless there was a specific medical reason it had to be done via open surgery.

Is there anyway you can appeal?

Twiggie Walsall Manor do alot of open bypasses as the pct's wont fund for keyhole even thought the surgeon himself said it was better to have keyhole, he did say he did think about stating that he wont do any more open bypasses only keyhole but he said there would be so many that need the op but wouldn't get it.

I was very worried about having a open bypass due to the scar but I'm now 6 days post op and it don't bother me in the slightest, infact it is a reminder of what I had to do to get myself under control and I haven't regretted a day so far

I have just discovered that Sandwell PCT will fund keyhole at Heartlands but not Walsall Manor :(.

Too late for me to change (get my op date today) but worth thinking about if you are at the begining of your journey.

hi Wendy wot a bummer,
i just found out that as i am now having my opp at heartlands not walsall manor it will be key hole not open, so every cloud has a sliver lining
lol
regards steve

Hi Steve
As you know I had my op on 27 March and this is what happened
Arrived at 0700
Went in at 0730
Called into op at 1100
Out of theatre 1320
Home on 29 March
I feel good, very slight wind pain but nothing to worry about.
Medication was a real problem as I was on a lot of it and mixing with water and juice was filling me up so I was unable to eat or drink. Ended up back in hospital for 2 days on a drip as I was dehydrated.
Home on Friday 9 April
Being the impatient bugger I am I have tried some solid foods. Crackers and cheese spread NOT GOOD, brown bread, a definite NO NO. Scrambled egg on toast so so.
These just made my throw up.
Now the good news
I feel good, I am 1 stone lighter than the day of the op, The scars are nearly healed ( I am going to start going swimming when they are healed)
My Taste buds and sense of smell seem to be much better.
In all it has been a good experience and I would recommend it every time, the post op diet take some time to get used to but stick with it, it is worth it.
Sorry if you have already had an answer but it hasn’t registered in my out box
If you need any more info you can ring me on *moderated*
Bryan

Last edited by a moderator:
Bryan you are such a lovely guy, you've given your personal number to the whole of cyberville ... xx

It's all good saying Sandwell patients can go to Heartlands and be funded for keyhole but before you do remember this...

I have a friend waiting for surgery there who has been told approx 3yr wait....

Personally i'm not bothered about the open surgery, my boss with 30 yrs clinical experience in intensive care thinks it's better, that will do me :)

I'm so sorry to hear that, although it's the first time I've heard of someone not getting funding for keyhole surgery. I was under the impression all bypass/banding was now done via keyhole, unless there was a specific medical reason it had to be done via open surgery.

Is there anyway you can appeal?

Apparently its cheaper to have the surgery at Heartlands than Walsall Manor so thats why the won't fund keyhole at Walsall.
Doesn't really bother me but thought it might help someone else
At least I have got funding unlike some of the people who have to struggle to get the funding in the first place

hi Wendy wot a bummer,
i just found out that as i am now having my opp at heartlands not walsall manor it will be key hole not open, so every cloud has a sliver lining
lol
regards steve

:Na_Na_Na_Na::Na_Na_Na_Na: cheeky chops good for you lol:hug99::hug99:

Bryan I have just edited your post hun to remove your telephone number. If you want to send it to anyone send it by PM please to keep it safe.

OHHH Brian what have you done now Julie has got your number you will get lots of heavy breathing phone calls lol

He will so not be getting heavy breathing phone calls...

Sam was too fast for me i didn't have time to write it down. I'll have to make do with bothering you and Lisa lol xx

Thanks guys this post was supposed to be a reply to Rambo on Private Messages but I did something wrong.
I thought I sent it as a reply

Aww Bryan and i thought you just loved all your new wls friends and wanted to keep in touch with us all even more :) :)

No seriously i figured you were just too innocent and hadn't realised about women like me looking out for sweeties to harass with heavy breathing phone calls lol...

Hope you are all better now from your recent spell in hospital :) xx

Back