• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

SCARY READING !!!!

janeyf

I've just been reading an article in the Daily Mail showing a woman who had a gastric bypass a year ago and initially lost 10 stone and was happy, but cannot stop losing weight and now weighs just under 6 stones. She has been told she could die if she keeps losing. Then of course all the horror story comments that follow that. It makes your hair stand on end.

I am at the stage where I have got my funding now and am just waiting to see the bariatric team with surgery not long after that. Reading articles like this stops you in your tracks. "What the hell am I doing " I know it doesn't happen to everyone but what if ??????????????

I know you've got to be well informed but piggin hell Jane, why do you keep on reading the crappy stuff ? :eek:

Although things like this can happen, there are a lot more success stories out there than the rags like the daily mail would like the public to believe. I'm sure the comments were full of hateful things, and if she went NHS I'm sure they were all ranting about how they've paid for her op etc. Honestly I know it's hard when you are on your way to surgery, you wan't read and learn all you can but avoid story in trashy papers and magazines and look for the people behind it. Places like here, I find people are honest about their complications if they have them plus you can see all the success stories too :)

I completely agree with Shelly, people like to read horror it sells better than positive news. I couldn't be happier with the success of my bypass so far.

I've just been reading an article in the Daily Mail showing a woman who had a gastric bypass a year ago and initially lost 10 stone and was happy, but cannot stop losing weight and now weighs just under 6 stones. She has been told she could die if she keeps losing. Then of course all the horror story comments that follow that. It makes your hair stand on end.

I am at the stage where I have got my funding now and am just waiting to see the bariatric team with surgery not long after that. Reading articles like this stops you in your tracks. "What the hell am I doing " I know it doesn't happen to everyone but what if ??????????????

I know you've got to be well informed but piggin hell Jane, why do you keep on reading the crappy stuff ? :eek:

I read the article and comments..
Just take the comments with a pinch of salt..
It's always the same old remarks "just eat less and exercise" ...WOW why didn't I do/think of that myself.
If only it was that simple, most comments are from small unintelligent people who have no idea...
Mmmm..would they be saying stupid comments like this to alcoholics,drug users,smokers?..I think not.
Just target the obsese as always...It's Boring Now.

As for this poor woman,it's a shame,but we all know the risks involved in this surgery,we are adults and have to make some difficult choices in life.
I know I made my choice and I have a couple of problems after my gastric surgery,but I'm trying to sort it out.
The things I've gained through loosing weight has made my life much better.

Its scandal that sells papers a lady I have spoke to on facebook she lost 6st via a diet she put together where bread played a big part of it, the papers wanted to do a story and she agreed, what was published was nothing like what she had told them, her weight loss jumped from 6 to 10 stones plus so much other made up stuff.

Ok I have strong views on this.

So this lady sounds like she has had a really difficult time and her situation is serious.

But - when you are 7, 8, 9 or 10 stone plus overweight, everyday there is a risk of heart failure, diabetes, joint problems even an increased risk of developing some types of cancers so its all a balancing act. Do I stay as I am, grossly overweight, knowing my health is deteriorating but clearly unable to resolve the issue myself, or do I take the risk of surgery and hope that this extremely rare thing does not happen to me, whilst improving my quality of life, life expectancy etc etc.

I only wish they would publish something with a balanced view showing that whilst this lady is at risk following surgery, how many others diet due to obesity because they didn't have the op.

Thanks everyone. I know you're right but it just gets to you sometimes that I might be worse off than before. It is just so frightening thinking that you might walk in to theatre and never come out. I know this can happen with any surgery but this is the one i'm due to have. I don't want to be misereable about my surgery because I waited over 3 years to get to this point and I was beyond delighted to get the go ahead. It's just nerves and I suppose I will have lots of shaky moments before it actually happens.

Thanks again for your comments xx

They can aways re plum her as the bypass reversible so she can't b that bad if not asking for help. Just prob wonts to make a few quid! I'm not saying people don't have probs ect but if they reckon u gona die they would reverse the bypass. I wish they put good storeys in the paper :)

I agree with this - when I finally chose the surgery route, I did it knowing that I was dying, albeit slowly. I was killing myself with food. Now I may well have complications further down the line, but I can't imagine how much longer I could have carried on. And frankly if they could do it at my size safely you will be a piece of cake. The majority of complications occur in people who are high risk cases.

Blooming daily snail, half the time when they print a story they don't even get the name of the op right!

As the bypass is malabsorptive as well as restrictive its very important to take the vitamins recommended, get your bloods checked, keep in touch with your team and get in touch with them if you have any concerns.

Try not to worry too much I'm sure you will be well looked after x

Ahh thanks again guys. I feel a bit less worked up today - especially as I have rung Salford Royal to check that they have received all necessary info from my pct and was told they could not find anything in my name :confused: I have tried to get hold of the the lady at my pct but only on ansaphone. So it could be all that worry was for nowt. At this rate I'll probably have retired by the time I get the call :sigh:

Ok I have strong views on this.

So this lady sounds like she has had a really difficult time and her situation is serious.

But - when you are 7, 8, 9 or 10 stone plus overweight, everyday there is a risk of heart failure, diabetes, joint problems even an increased risk of developing some types of cancers so its all a balancing act. Do I stay as I am, grossly overweight, knowing my health is deteriorating but clearly unable to resolve the issue myself, or do I take the risk of surgery and hope that this extremely rare thing does not happen to me, whilst improving my quality of life, life expectancy etc etc.

I only wish they would publish something with a balanced view showing that whilst this lady is at risk following surgery, how many others diet due to obesity because they didn't have the op.

I totally agree with you. Every surgeon you ask will tell you that the benefits far outweigh the risks. The media always emphasise the bad, scandalous news, and not good news and success. I don't trust anything I read in the media, rather read people's experiences on here.

at the end of the day, whether surgical or not, if you don't eat you will eventually end up seriously underweight and suffering from a lot of complications which require a lot of medical intervention. I haven't read the article, but maybe this person didn't understand exactly what they needed to do / didn't keep in touch with and listen to her care team and maybe has developed a psychological illness around then weight loss... if this was a common problem then I am sure there would be a lot more discussion and information about this risk. As someone else said, the risks from staying fat outweigh (no pun intended) the risks from losing the weight.

have a great weekend everyone :)

The support I've had here has been second to none following my constant problems. Whewreas I feel its important to speak honestly and openly what's happened with me (kinda depressing when I read back over it, but therapeutic) theres always someone out there with something to say about everything. Does anyone remember poor Sicknote on here? Anyone heard from her? She was experiencing severe probs and last I heard she was being tube fed with a view to having a bypass reversal?

Not being bitter here but I for one like to see the good and beautiful side of this surgery as well as the negative dark sides in the media. There is after all 2 sides to every coin, wish there was just positive glowing sides, and it peeves me when I pick up chat magazine in the break room at work and its another "I had a bypass and lost weight yayyy!" Story bc the media twist the story so all public perception is this.. Lazy fat person gets fatter.. Has op.. Lazy fat person loses weight.. Lazy fat person has new fab life without trying.. Occasionally sick.. But that's a small price to pay. You don't see or hear of many stories like mine, Sicknotes, Cathykats. As we all know, ignorance is bliss and whereas the media overblow success stories, they also over dramatise some of the negative sides, and you never get the full story as it was from both good and bad.

I'm hoping fingers crossed after pacemaker is fitted to the day where I can write on here.. "Hey all, finally got the life I aimed for. Worked my backside off, and went to hell and back, but you know what.. Its finally been worth it.." Hopefuly coming soon!

Hope all is well with everyone, anyone thinking of surgery, do your research thoroughly and make the decision. It was do or die for me, ironically Im on life 7 to my reckoning but someone and something is keeping me going. I'm determined to get to where I want to be and get that happily ever after we all deserve x

Janey - 'what if' ... Don't even go there. It puts lives on hold and blocks the future. As so many have said, she is one of a tiny minority. There'll be a bigger story, i'll put money on it.

Rejoice in your journey to a new life - this time next year fingers crossed you'll be sitting firmly in your place on the losers' bench reflecting on the person you were, and excited to have met the person the bypass has allowed you to become.

it's blooming hard, I won't lie to you. But the positives really do cancel the negatives.

xxx

Now lets look back at my life pre WLS.. At 27st 7lb in Jan 2012 My heart was enlarged and ready to give out... My asthma was becoming unmanageable and I was now into early stage COPD... One more chest infection could well have been my last... My DDD was becoming worse as my crumbling spine couldn't take the pressure of my bulk any more... both my knees had blown out and I was told that unless I lost weight now I was going to be in a wheel chair for life... Three different doctors told me face to face "you are a ticking time bomb that could go off at any moment" (I swear it must be written on my files somewhere)

Faced with a dismal future i was left to weigh up the pros and cons of bariatric surgery... I researched until my eyes bled! Ok that's a bit of an exaggeration but it did feel like it at times! There was no quibbling WLS was the only way that gave me any hope for a future so I chose life!
The media never give the full story. It takes the hard hitting facts that will grab the reader or viewers attention and leaves out the rest. I take everything with a large pinch of salt that it spouts and if I am that concerned or interested by any of its topics that it raises I do my own research before taking it fully on board.
Yes WLS has so many pitfalls but compared to what i was facing in 2012 they were well worth the risk!

Back