• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

sciatica

carol150

past my goal down to 11st
hi can anyone give me advice on how to cope with sciatica it is driving me mad and keeping me a wake all night .hoping it will go after op .:sigh:

I had it very badly and the doctor gave me Co-codomol twice a day now after nearly 3 months its a lot better.

My sciatica has been worse since my WLS rather than better though my back pain is less - been a real swine since my knee replacement - numb leg and foot too - it's hard to tell whats due to the knee and whats coming from my spine lol - what a state we get in.

In the past I've been told that tummy strengthening exercises will strengthen the back muscles.

The best exercise I've been told is lying on your back - knees up - and rock knees from side to side touching the floor either side if you can :rolleyes:

Another one that can relieve is standing sideways on to a wall and easing hips away from the wall that sometimes will relieve it - though if I was told swinging from the door frames would help I might try that lol

Sometimes if it's muscle spasm causing the sciatica I find a couple of doses of 5mg diazepam will relieve the spasm and take the sciatica away - I've even broken them in half and had 2.5mg and got relief - you would need to see your GP for this and I'm never given more than 14 tablets at a time and not on repeat so no danger of getting hooked!!

Hope this might help

Angela

hi thanks i was taking diclofenic sodium but have been on it 2 years and have been told it causes liver dysfunction so stopped taking it .but think i will have to start again as cant take much more

hi thanks i was taking diclofenic sodium but have been on it 2 years and have been told it causes liver dysfunction so stopped taking it .but think i will have to start again as cant take much more

You wil be ok with diclofenac pre op but post op it is not suitable for bypass patients, so you will need to speak to you r surgeon or gp for an alternative.

I take diclofenac post-op BUT I'm not allowed the slow-release formulation and I must have a proton-pump inhibitor (omeprazole) every day.

Apparently NSAID's just sit on the anastomosis point and can cause bad ulcers.

So I've been asked just to have as few doses as possible to keep the pain as low as possible.

Hope this helps

Angela

I take diclofenac post-op BUT I'm not allowed the slow-release formulation and I must have a proton-pump inhibitor (omeprazole) every day.

Apparently NSAID's just sit on the anastomosis point and can cause bad ulcers.

So I've been asked just to have as few doses as possible to keep the pain as low as possible.

Hope this helps

Angela
hi thinnerangela thanks for that but why cant you take m/r that is what i am taking 100mg a day

Hi

Not allowed the modified release diclofenac cos as it drops into the stomach it tends to sit where the sleeve stitch line is and as its modified release it's releasing the drug gradually and sort of 'dripping' on the joins all day and hence can cause ulcers ( and bleeding and possibly perforation over time).

So although it was brilliant for my pain I'm only allowed the 3x day one now - and only to have them when I'm really desperate :(

Angela xx

Back