• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

sitting in the docs surgery (what a waste of time!)

piratess

I don't know why I allow myself to become so worked up... I've just realised I'm
Seeing a man doc who I've never met and I'm even more nervous now!!

I am going to mention gastric banding again, and also my feet see if anything can be done for them
And then ask about the CBT I hope be can offer me something else I'll be making an appointment to come back to see somone else .

Just wanted to talk to somone while im here waiting alone :-( xxx

Morning darlin!!
You're doing the right thing in going and taking a step to get your weight and health sorted.
Don't be worried. Just calmly say what you want to happen for you and we'll see how the Doc reacts and take it from there xxxxx

Morning sweets :) still waiting I think that's the worse part.
My parents go home this morning to so will have chance for a quick cuppa and then they will be gone:-( won't see them
Till august then ..... Ahh well at least I'll be able to get some housework done lol

Xxxx

Just be calm and remember, you are willing to help yourself lose the weight. You know the band is a tool and you just need to try and go along with what is suggested to you.
He should agree to put your case forward and if you have a negative repsonse or rather a dismissive response from him then you can see another doctor (or even change practice) another time xxx

Morning. I don't know what your PCT is like but so long as your BMI is over 40 Durham refers you for wls. I can remember how nervous I was, convinced they'd say no but my doctor couldn't have been nicer about it. Hope it went well x

good luck, I'm on the waiting list for CBT and theres a 3 month wait hope you get on better then me xx

What a complete waste of time! ............

As the title says really!
what a complete waste of my time! and his.

Walked in explained that the doc i saw before mentioned CBT (shes since left the practise)
He asked why she mentioned it i told him about my eating habits my feelings about why i eat the way i do etc,
He went on to say didnt think CBT would help me atall and anyway i know what it is i should be doing!? ....

I made him aware that i had been for a consultation and was trying to fund a way to hav surgery ...
His response well im not sure i quite understood so ill explain and see what you think.

Doc- so why exactly do you want surgery?

Me- Because i feel ive exhausted everything else and this to me is my chance to have my life back.

Doc- ahh see i dont understand gastric surgery in my mind it stops you eating!

Me- Well you do have to work at it and it doesnt actually stop you eating.

Doc- hhmm its like a smoker wanting to quit, and you locking them in a room without a key.

(what the hell does that mean)

he also said about maybe i want to pass the responsibilty to somone else ... have tabs because then its the doctors problem or surgery cos then its the surgeons problem? ..

I feel completly lost and helpless about this whole morning! can anyone shed light on what this doc ment !?!?!?! ....

ggrrrrr :mad: .............:break_diet:sorry so long xxxx

Well firstly change doctors!!!

It's not up to him to judge wether WLS is necessary for you! He is surely obliged to refer you if you meet the criteria (which from above it looks likely that you do)

Ugh...you poor love.

OK go to the NHS online website and do a search for GP's taking on new patients in your area and see if you can find somewhere else register with.
You don't have to give a reason as to why you wish to change doctors , just fill in the forms at the new practice.

That was very unprofessional of him and don't you let it put you off or upset you sweetheart xxxxxxx

Thanks Neen i really thought maybe i was going mad! ...

I dont think im big enough to meet criteria i think Hants is BMI of 60 :( ... i could be wrong but thats what i thought it was last time i checked xxx

Oh weight management lol ... yeah he did mention that! ...

He said "of course i could refer you for weight management, but its virtually impossible at the moment due to the nhs funding" ..

AARRGGGGGGGG

what a complete tw*t. He needs to get up to date with his research as he sounds completely ignorant about WLS and the impact it can have on someone's life. I'd definiately change GPs or even practices.

Just a thought - Would the hospital / WLS surgeon in yr area be able to help provide some evidence or information to show to your GP - maybe if he had something in front of him it might help. Would there be anyone in your area post op on this forum who could provide a confidential testimonial, etc?

I agree with Neen, change your GP.
I know my GP wont refer anybody for WLS as he is a "fattist" and thinks its easy to loose weight as he done it in the past and now has no time for fatties. This is why i have paid privately.
Also, instead of going to your GP, just try going to the practice nurse and asking her to see the dietician and maybe go at the GP from this angle.

If push comes to shove, i would probably keep going back to him and telling him how depressed i am and how i need help off him.

Im also quite lucky in that my GP surgery has 4/5 different GP's so i can play them off one another if i cant get what i want. I donr this last year when i wanted to try xenical and it worked.

Definately change GP and do it now.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progression.

Thanks guys :) xxxx

I can see another GP in the same practise but there has been so much change their lately with GPs coming and going i know one doc who i trust so may go see him ..
he was the only one who would refer my eldest for a tonsillectomy, and took her psoriasis seriously so maybe he will be worth seeing.

thanks again :) xxxx

Well I would find another doc anyway!!! This one is throwing up barricades before you even start!
Perhaps another one will at least help you get on a weight management program even if you don't match the criteria.

:wave_cry:Hi P,
Lots of great advice from Neen & everyone else-
-just wanted to say how much I am feeling your pain/suffering - these GPs just don't understand how we feel & how hard we've tried before we eventually resort to asking for help....
I know I was an emotional heap for all the months I tried to get my gp to listen
-it won't be much consolation to you at the moment but where you are right now is defo the worst part of the journey
Take carexxx

Suprised he didnt ask if you have tried diet and exersize!Tbh I think they have all been told to adhere to the pct ruling and if yours is 60 you have no chance on the nhs.No matter which doc you go to helpful or not they will offer weight management or drugs.

Its all so difficult isnt it! ...
I hate to admit it BigandBouncy but i think your right, But that doesnt mean i should give up trying to get help.... altho im guessing im probably going to end up banging my head against a wall.
Trying to explain how i feel on a day to day basis to a stranger is so hard, the doc this morning looked at me as if i were mad!
i said to him i know i probably sound ridiculous .. and of course he didnt comment ...

Back