• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

sitting in the docs surgery (what a waste of time!)

Sorry you had so much rubbish to deal with at your appt. Def. go to another doctor.

The criteria in our area is 60 or 50 with co morbidities and it is very hard to get, but not impossible as I got it with the backing of my respiratory consultant. So depending on your own situation and bmi etc you may find with the right help you could have a shot.

Did he give you any help on your foot? Are the exercises helping?

You poor thing! How dare thar GP talk to you like that. I'm outraged on your behalf! As a suggestion check with your PCT re their current guidelines. If you dont fit their criteria then even if you were referred you would be turned down. So I believe that you can self refer for private surgery. Obviously this means you will pay which may be financially impossible.
GP's - ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks Girls ..

Jane the excersizes help a little, but still getting pain to the point i could cry, Doc mentioned steriod injections which im not really up for.

Amrac my BMI is 42.1 i think .. and i dont have any other health problems (yet) ...
I have had a consultation for surgery paying privatly but its just getting the money together to finance it.

this will happen but will have to be off my own back i think, I just hoped docs could offer me somone to talk to etc ....

It's about time gp's started being truthful instead of shifting the blame back to the patient when it's actually all to do with funding.
I've seen most of the 12 gp's at my practice and had a whole range of advice/lectures from being told to eat less and move more, to being reccommended Xenical, then being told Xenical won't work for me and it has to be WLS, then being told there is no point in appealing and just to eat less, then last month a very insincere ''good luck with your surgery'' along with a reminder that lots of people regain the weight again.
So now I just see the gp as someone who is there to provide a service for me and i see various ones depending on what I want them for.

Don't take no for an answer. If they can't refer you they should at least tell you why. In the meantime you should definitely be referred for cbt. you could also ask about an exercise referral scheme and the weight management if you're interested in those at all.
Those gp's should be pleased with you for being proactive and wanting to do something about your weight.

Yorkie ... you think it would be worth mentioning CBT again? First doc said it would benefit me if she could get funding, this doc said no he didnt think it would help me atall.

Please can you tell me,what CBT stands for?
I plucked up courage,to go & see my doctor about surgery & he just said no,point blank.never explained his answer,never discussed it with me,nothing!
I paid for it privately & went to see him last week,for some multivitamins,so I asked him,if our area did WLS,because he had just told me no & he never even answered me,just started tapping on his computer.decided there & then,I won,t see him again,as he isn,t the right doctor for me,so I know how frustrated you must be feeling.
Good luck,with your journey
Tracy x

I'm so sorry to hear of your frustration. The first time I mentioned help to lose weight to my GP, he told me to eat less. The second time he told me to eat nothing!

I persisted and eventually got a referral for WLS. But it was tough going and I think my PCT is more pro WL surgery (at the moment) than yours.

I would definitely go back and ask for CBT though. Apart from anything else, you have to show/prove yourself to be pro-active and determined to lose weight.

Thats awful!! My Doctor did refer me for what he and I thought was WLS he then tells me 1 year later... Great you have funding agreed!! I was elated and couldnt wait for my hospital appointment. That was in 2009.. what he didnt know (because he didnt bother reading the letter properly) was that I only had funding for a weight management programme which I had to complete for 1 year.. This actually ended up lastin 18 montsh because they kept cancelling my check ups etc... anyway I have now got funding for surgery but the whole process has taken 2yrs and 9 months up to now...

My advice is to take matters into your own hands if you Dr refuses to even look into it then get another GP, research, phone around and find out what is needed. I am now chasing for an appointment to be seen and have had to chase at every stage.. keep on at them and dont give up... Its very tough but it will be worth while.. I keep telling myself this :sigh:

TuT at your gp hun, if u was a drug addict/alcoholic or someone who was trying too quit smoking for a better life he wouldnt have sed " well just dont buy no fags/booze/drugs no more........I agree with NeeN, Change your gp and least someone may be able too help or point you in the right direction xxx

Back