• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Size issues :(

Its great to know i'm not the only one going thru this. My best friend keeps telling me that i'm wearing clothes too big for me but i cant get my head round that some 18 tops are too baggy. i haven't been this small in over 10 years so I dont believe the mirror.

I wish now that I had taken before pictures but I couldn't bare to see photos of me when I was fat so I don't have any. I have kept 1 pare of black trousers to remember how big I was.... I can fit i to 1 trouser leg now! Lol xx

I have one of me taken of me before op and its horrific, I will put it up one day when I get the courage I keep it on my fridge as a reminder :( , although I know I've lost weight I still feel HUGE but I'm sure my brain will catch up soon :) good luck everyone xxx

I'm over 4 years post op, and still haven't adjusted, I doubt I ever will. I do not see myself as slim, or attractive etc. I still see all the folds and loose skin as fat. I have no concept of my body shape, I couldn't tell you if I were bigger or smaller than anyone else, or compare my body shape with anyone. I thought I had a straight up and down boyish figure (yeah right, with 34E's it's not likely!), but hubby scoffed at me and said I'm an hourglass.

Pre-op, I told anyone who'd listen that I would be happy with loose skin, anything would be better than being hugely obese. The reality is I'm still as self conscious and unhappy in my body as ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I too understand this. I've still got stones and stones to go till I'm a healthy weight but I understand the not knowing your body. I'm finding something very confusing and that is that most of the time I think of myself as this 26 stone person I use to be and then I will catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror and think, actually I'm starting to look like just a normal over weight person, not someone you stop and look at in the street (I'm glad that doesn't happen anymore!) having said that I sometimes get times I look in the mirror and think Oh go I'm still so big! I thought I looked much smaller than that. It's really confusing to think you are both enormous and getting to be more normal at the same time. So yeah, add me to the crazy train. I'll have to see how I feel when I'm nearer my goal but I have a feeling I will always have body issues and it's not surprising that we do after I imagine that most of us have had them most of our lives.

Last edited:
I feel the same way also... I am way off my goal weight but have gone from a size 24 down to a size 16/18 and yet I still feel a size 24. I feel big,awkward and clumsy. doesn't matter how often people tell me how different I look my self image has stayed the same. I still wear very baggy shapeless clothes, and keep telling myself I will buy different clothes when I get smaller, not acknowledging I already am "smaller". I tried my original work trousers on that I wore at the beginning of August and they literally fell down they were so big on me, and yet what is happening to my body size wise is definitely not registering with my head......

I'm even weirder. When I was a size 30 I 'saw' myself as a size 16 now I am really a size 16 I see myself as much larger. Never thought this would happen. The mind is a funny organ!

I'm even weirder. When I was a size 30 I 'saw' myself as a size 16 now I am really a size 16 I see myself as much larger. Never thought this would happen. The mind is a funny organ!

I can completely understand that. I think half the reason I got so big was I was in some much denial that I would avoid mirrors at all costs and in my head I was no where near as big I was. If I did catch a glimpse It would be so disturbing I'd push it out of my head again and most likely eat another pizza. That is difficult to admit but even though we still have body issues I can see things are so much better than they were! Hopefully our minds will catch up more as time goes on :)

Shels post is interesting indeed. I had hoped this would get better with time but it appears not. I've got over thinking I look slim and okay and have gone back to thinking I look fat and horrible. My rationale me knows it is loose skin but my feeling me says whatever it is I'm too big. The fact I can reason it through doesn't help at all !!
I have said it before and still feel that , despite my reading, headwork and preparation, I was in NO way prepared for the loose skin. Not the physical problems it presents, not the way it looks and oh so not the way it makes me feel. I never used to be vain or conceited , and I'm not now in the sense I don't think I look great, but I am very self obsessed. I think about how I look, what I'll wear, my make-up, nails, what people think of me ALL the time. I have to make a real effort not to talk about 'me' all the while. It's dreadful and I can't seem to stop.
I'm a fully functioning professional woman but I really think there should be some proper help post -op. I'm so thankful for my bypass -is it ungrateful and greedy to want help now with coping with the effects?

i'm so glad i heard about this post :) i truly thought i was daft thinking i'm still fat and hate my loose skin and i was one of those that said i'd be ok with loose skin as long as i wasn't fat but Shell hit the nail on thye head it's exactly how i feel :( i went to see the surgeon the other day who is removing my gall bladder on 13th Dec and he commented how much weight i've lost etc etc but when he examined me properly he said You really have lost a lot of weight and took a great big handful of my tummy skin and shook it about , i don't think he meant to be nasty or anything but it really brought my old insecurities right back to when people stared and commented how fat i was :( now i'm conscious even more and am trying to avoid my hubby seeing me even in pants and bra . I laughed the doctor off (as we do) but said if he wanted he could have a little slip with the knife and take some extra skin off :) thanks for making me feel better

I hate my skin it's horrible but I'm to frightened to have tummy tuck hubby is a sweetie and said he doesn't mind it and if I want it off I can have it done tomorrow but I'm just so frightened :( but where does it stop I hate my arms there horrible and the tops of my legs :( don't get me wrong i feel better now 6 stone has gone but never expected this and belly dancer know just what u mean look in mirror see a fat monster as before I knew I was large but not huge strange really as I was 18 and half stone and now I'm 12 ? At least we are all thinking the same and not on our own xxx

Mmmm yes quite disconcerting. However had a breakthrough today got a new cardigan &'tried it on & mirror showed a thin me. I likey!

Back