• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sleeve - 1st July 2014

MumsyLoser

Hi Everyone,

I've been reading through the forum, and its been great to hear other people's experiences! I am having a gastric sleeve next Tuesday. Its been a long tough road to this point, and I feel like I am finally coming to a new start.

I put on the majority of my weight after having my children, I had post natal depression with both children and my son was born with a heart condition, which affected me the most out of the family. I went from being at home with my daughter 24/7 to being in hospital with my son straight from birth 24/7 for two months, the only way I can describe the experience is that it broke me! I've been through so much growing up but this was the final straw emotionally for me.

The past 5 years have had such an impact on me, my self confidence and in turn my weight. I've reached a point where I had nothing left for myself, and food has become my crutch. The only way I can make it understandable to people is, for me its like a drug. I get through the day and don't really eat much, I spend the day planning and thinking about what to eat at night once the kids are in bed. As such it is always comfort food, and mountains of it. People will come home from work and have a bottle of wine, I'll have a box of pringles.

It has become such an unhealthy addiction and obsession that I stopped going out, I stopped seeing family, I can function enough for my children, taking them to school and picking up, playing with them and making sure they are the happiest and most confident kids they can be! They really are my little stars, I have worked hard to make sure they understand food, the good and bad, why we eat and just to have a healthy relationship with it and now it is my turn to work on that.

So here I am about to have a sleeve, thank you to my dad helping me self fund it. I lost my mum (blood clot) as a young girl and her weight had a lot to do with it and he sees me heading down the same path, we are there for each other but are too similar and argue a lot so I think he feels he is helping me in one of the only ways he can.

I'm ready for the surgery, in fact I'm excited! I'm ready for the change and I can't wait to be full from smaller portions, get more active and just enjoy my life instead of hiding from the world!

My only issue is feeling embarrassed about people knowing, right now its just immediate family who do and my brother has already given his opinion (don't do it) I feel its very hard to explain to people how much of an issue it is, especially when they aren't overweight and don't feel the way I do about food, how did you deal with telling people about WLS? Or did you just keep quiet? My children are only 2 and 4, and its my daughters 5th birthday party less than two weeks after the op, so we are going to need support, but I don't want to be judged I just want to make my decision and get my life back.

Thanks for reading every one :)

Hi
Just wanted to say hello and welcome to the forum and good luck on your weight loss journey. Looking forward to reading your updates.
As for telling others about your surgery, that is entirely up to you whether you say anything. Some people have had really positive responses, others not so. At the end of the day, it's your body, your choice and you are taking control. Perhaps only tell who you really need to tell at the moment and then wait until you have recovered from the surgery before making a decision about whether you tell anyone else?
Good luck and keep us posted! xx

Back