• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie - having a sleeve on 1st feb

Hey Andrea,

im starting next Saturday. Trying to be good this week in preperation for my pre op haha!

The pre-op diet looks simple enough, luckily its 1000 calories a day! ive seen some poor b*ggers doing the milk diet :eek: Dont think i would have coped so well on that one!

Generally im excited one min, then freaking out the other lol But mostly i cant wait because i feel ive been given the opportunity to reclaim my life back.

Emma Louise has done really well with her sleeve, and Dr Cierny did hers too (i like bugging her when i have my little panics!)

Have you told many people? x

I'll hit the freaking out bit when I'm there lol. I know I'll be a nervous wreck on the morning of it but thats coz I just want them to hurry up and get it over and done with. I'll be begging the anethaetist to knock me out.

I've chosen to tell everyone I know including my work colleagues. That will work better for me to make sure that I stick to the rules while I learn my new way of eating. I've had plenty of questions and interest which is nice and when I've spoken about it I'm enthusiastic.Of yet I've had no horror stories or negativity about it, just a few faces when I describe what the surgeon will do - but thats normal.

Have you told many people? What are you panicing about?

How long ago did Emma Louise have hers? Has she given you any tips?

Andrea
x

ive never been to hosptial lol or been knocked out! so that bit is really freaking me out.
Also worried if there are complications afterwards.

Im doing lots and lots of thinking that leaves my brain racing. Im already mourning my food :eek: Then i cant wait to be healthier, lighter, more confident! Just my head going round and round in circles!!

Ive told a few people. My parents are uber supportive which is lovely, as is my brother. A couple of friends are happy that im happy and the others have expressed that loosing weight isnt difficult, and im mental to be considering surgery (but they're all sticks). So its kind of been 50/50. When i started looking into this i was in a relationship. He was supportive until i told him i was going to go ahead with it :rolleyes: Anyway, we are no longer together - his loss!

Emma's not given me any tips as such, but when i have a little panic, i usually facebook her, and shes there calming me down (even if she doesnt know she is haha)

There is a member on here, Mixxy, who is a sleever and has done so well! So hes my kinda inspiration (dont go getting a fat head Mix!)
x

I had my first operation in feb 10, it was to remove part of my kidney and then rejoin the tube that goes to your bladder to it so again major surgery. On the day I was nervous, I won't try and tell you otherwise, the nerves just emptied my body for me - if you know what I mean - lol.
It was my reaction after that op that has me so confident, it was a 3 1/2 hours op so over an hour longer than this one should be and it was also done key hole. I felt so well so quickly and was able to do alot more than I thought I would alot earlier. The doctor on the morning after told me I'd be going home that night - that was a shock the original plan was 3 - 4 days after.
It wasn't anywhere near as bad as I was expecting it to be and within a week of the op I was walking round my local town centre as though nothing had been done to me.
From what I understand of this op, I will have pretty much an identical scar on the opposite side of my stomach and another few tiny ones for the drains.
And once the weights gone the next question is will I need a tummy tuck and lets start saving for it now lol.
Seriously though, the medical profession are fantastic and there is absolutely no need for you to feel any pain with all the drugs they have available and because its done keyhole the pain would be minimal.
Sorry to waffle on, I just feel that happy about it I can't wait.
Anyone that says losing weight is easy is correct when your minds in the right place but keeping it off is something completely different.
I'm glad your family are behind you thats the biggest help - it was my dad that loaned me the money to pay for it.

Don't worry, you are doing yourself the biggest favour ever!

Andrea
x

aww thanks Andrea :) that does make me feel better! Blimey you came here for support and im stealing your support haha!

I still cant get my head around the fact that i am going to loose weight :confused: You know when youve tried for so long, and nothings worked, i just have this mind set that im never going to acheive it, so i havent even thought about any plastic surgery i might need after :eek: Better start saving too lol

Muchos gracias lady xx

My weight has yo yo'd all my life and so long as my mind was in the right place I'd follow any diet going and lose weight with it. The most I ever lost was 60lbs - over a sack of potatoes - with weight watchers, they then changed how they did their diet and wanted me to weigh and measure. I couldn't do it, life was complicated enough with working, running the house and my 2 boys without having to seriously think about what I could and couldn't eat and making sure it didn't go over my points allowance. The previous way was you ate three meals a day until you felt content and there were foods you couldn't have in your meals, so really it was back to cooking from scratch but only using the things on the list, it suited me down to the ground.
Anyway enough of that. The back to basics is the way I'm cooking for my pre op diet, it seems to be working so I'll let you know how much I've lost after the first week tomorrow.
How's your week going, I'm now on 2 1/2 rest days from work and its great as part of the new me the house is all being changed and I've got to get things ready for my new wardrobe that will soon be filled with new me clothes.
Hope all is well

Andrea
x

Best of luck hun.. Am 13days post op of my sleeve... I have my post op consultation tomorrow as well as a weigh in with the consultant... I cant wait to lose the extra baggage and fit into 'normal' fittinbg clothes.. Beign a shopaholic, I've been buying shoes ibnstead of clothes..
All the best again..xxx

Hi Ebony, good luck tomorrow I'm sure you'll be delighted with the result.
How have the last 13 days been? Are you driving/back at work? Do you feel hungry?
I'll probably bombard you with questions now sorry.

Andrea

Deets I do feel for you having to try and give up smoking too, I used to buts its 10 years now since my last one.
Have you tried the patches, gum and lozengers? they helped my sister not smoke for a few months at least which would get you passed surgery.

Andrea
x

A week on sunday - the 30th, kast nearly normal sunday lunch this coming sunday, I'm cooking it and alot of the family will be round, then I'll fly back 2 days before you fly out!

Andrea
x

Emma Louise has done really well with her sleeve, and Dr Cierny did hers too (i like bugging her when i have my little panics!)

Emma's not given me any tips as such, but when i have a little panic, i usually facebook her, and shes there calming me down (even if she doesnt know she is haha)

x

:hug99: aww xxxxxx

How long ago did Emma Louise have hers? Has she given you any tips?

Andrea
x

Hello :D

I had my operation on the 14th September, and as of today i have lost 5 stone 2 pounds, or 72 pounds :) which i am VERY pleased with.

If you want tips i can give them to you :)

Do you want tips on the operation? After? The trip over there? What to take? All of the above? Anything else?

Let me know and i will give you all the tips you need. :) xxxx

Wow that is a fantastic amount to have lost.

I'm the greedy one I'd like tips on all of it please.

I'll have more questions more than likely as the days go on.

Andrea
x

Of course - i will help in anyway i can. Just hope anything i have to say will help! :)

I'll try and do it mythodically -

- Get your blood tests done asap from the doctors, mine faffed for a while about printing them out for me to scan but a couple of phone calls did the trick - just remember you are entitled to them

- When you go to see your doctor about getting the blood tests what i did was to print out all of the information that michael had sent me about the operation and what i needed and what was happening and took it with me and gave it to my doctor. He didnt really seem to know much about bariatric surgery but was supportive (he is also my neighbour :) he even said "Prague is lovely this time of year" lol)!

- They tell you in the paperwork to make sure you are not on your period when you have your op, but i was due, so i asked the doctor is he had anything i could take and he did prescribe me something - so it is worth asking for something if you are in the same predicament. Also - take some time of the month equipment - i came on the day after the op and was so glad i took something!

- Buy in lots of yogurt and light chocolate mouses (if you like them!) cause for the first few weeksi lived off low fat custard, yogurts, and low fat chocolate mousses. I wasnt a great fan of the pureed stage and so just had more yogurt with a small amount of pureeed. Portion wise i could manage about half a muller light yogurt before i just really didnt want anymore.

- Pack lightly, all you will need is 2 sets of pjs/nighty (i prefered pjs though as when they come to check your stomach/take your drains out they will need to get to your stomach), shampoo+conditioner (which i would buy at the airport - make sure you have enough for a shower everyday) you are woken up at 5:30 every day (or it might be 4:30) and told to get into the shower

frig - clicked wrong button - will just carry on :)

- Get to the airport EARLY (i was there 2 hours before), i was frisked badly at security (only because - i have no pockets in my clothes and constantly put my ipod down my bra - completely forgot like a dooooosh and went through security with it down there) and i got my suitcase emptied and searched and everything :cool: That's just how i roll

- If you dont know Stanstead (like i didnt) DONT wait in the first little section of the airport that looks like where you are supposed to go (like i did) and then walk along the terminal when it says your plane is boarding only to greet a sign that says your gate is a 15 minute walk away.... :eek: <--- That's kinda what i looked like by the time i half ran, half spees walked to the gate :D

- Make sure you get all your shopping, posting, bill paying done before you go - because you certainly wont feel like doing it when you get home.

- Fill in the psychological questionnaires as soon as you get them - as you dont get much notice from micael as to when to send them in - i remember getting an email saying something like "i need the questionnaires today" and there are 4 of them and a couple of them are REALLY long. So get them filled in asap.

- Remember to photocopy your passport and the medical card as Debra needs those.

- They go on in their emails about how important it is to have flight socks for on the way home, but i couldnt find any big enough to fit me and they didnt really seem bothered when i was over there so dont worry about it too much

- I changed £20 in to their money and had too much, you only need money for the meal on the Sunday in the hotel's restaurrant and they arnt really that expensive - I had raveolie and it was LUSH! Ive never had it before and it was really, really nice.

- Take something to entertain yourself with, there are tvs in the room and dvd players (as well as some dvds) so if you want to watch stuff take some dvds. I took my netbook and put some tv programs on there and films and just ended up watching the apprentice the whole time as the days can drag if you havent got something to occupy your mind - plus i had a room to myself so could watch my program as loud as i wished

- They offer you a sleeping pill on the monday night - take it. I was having second thoughts about taking it as ive seen how drousey someone can normally be with a sleeping pill, but took it anyway and was absolutley fine in the morning - and i was first to be operated on!

- Remember to have a shower on the Tuesday morning - though i dont thing the nurse let you forget :rolleyes:

- The nurse are lovely, especially petra, misha, and a couple of others but they are embarrassed about using English as aparently thet dont want to be embarrassed if they get it wrong.

- On the Monday, you will be tired and you will have to walk fricken miles around that hospital. You have loads of tests done to make sure you are ok to be operated on but once they are all over you can relax a bit. And Debra brings you a sandwich when you are all done.

- On the Tuesday, its a weird feeling, i didnt feel nervous or scared or...anything really. I think i just felt numb, wanting it to be over and for me to be ok. The last thing i remember is being wheeled down the corridor and shimmeyd onto the operating bed thingy and taken through to theatre. I think i went a bit light headed then as it was dawning on me what was going on, but before i could say anything.......i was out. I remember waking up in icu and feeling very sick then throwing up so dont worry if you do, i remember saying "oh no - ive ripped myself open, oh god emma dont be sick again DONT BE SICK AGAIN!!" before being sick again and then falling asleep. lol.
The icu nurse didnt speak much English - thank god.
They try to get you to sit up and to walk a little on Tuesday night, please try, even if you dont think so - it really will make you feel better. But be AWARE! I completely forgot i had a catheter until i sat up and was like "Helllloooo?" - still not really knowing what it was :eek: until the nurse came along and put her hand down there and pulled it out :rolleyes: lovely.

- You will also have two drains hanging out of you when you wake up, i had no idea what to expect with them as i had never had drains before, but believe me, they were no problem. I mean, they werent nice, and my goodness it was lovely when they were taken out on Thursday but as long as you are careful not to pull them out you will be fine.

- Go for as many walks with Debra as you can, she smokes and so goes outside a lot - i went with her all the time and felt so much better, quicker. The fresh air is lovely.

- Take all the painkillers they offer you, they inject it into your bum cheek ;) and i didnt realise what a gorgeous bruise i had on my bum until i got home.

- If any bandages or anything comes off in the shower, go to the nurses station to get them redone. I didnt and got a firm telling off from Dr Cierny as its a matter of hygiene - aparently :rolleyes:

- On the flight home, if you want something, i bought a chicken cupasoup and sipped it all the way home and it was LUSH!

- You are given injections to take home for DVT, i was really scared about going though security as you have to take them through hand luggage, but i was fine, the security guys didnt detect them i dont think. And dont worry about injecting yourself when you get home, the 10 days soon pass and once youve done it a few time - you get the hang of it.

- Im still taking the omeprazole now as it really helps with any stomach acid i have, so maybe try and see if you can get extra from your doctor or ask about getting some more?

urm, i'm trying to think of more - do you want to know anything else? Ive probably forgotten loads of stuff but its 1:30am and my brain is mushed after spending the last 2 and a half hours playing some war/shooting/assasin game with my brother who needed help with some mission in 2 player mode.

Let me know what else you want to know.

Honestly guys, apart from the occasion episde of sickness i get now (due to eating too much, or like tonight my meat was too tough for my stomach to handle) everything has gonw swimmingly *touch wood*. And 5 stone aint too shabby :) xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Back