• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sleeve or Bypass

Katastrophe

Love My Bypass !
I've noticed a lot more people seem to be having the Sleeve recently.

Is there a deciding factor when it comes to whether you have this or the bypass?

Did the surgeon recommend one or the other or did you decide yourself thats what you wanted?

I'm asking because Mr Mannur who's from the Homerton seems to being doing a lot of these now and as long as i get funding he will probably be doing mine.

There are no long term statistics to prove the effectivness of the sleeve, many sleevers go on to have a full DS at a later date, i personally know of one sleever that has been very successful, though her consultant tried desperately to talk her out of having the procedure, shes very aware that she has to work at her weight lose long term.
For this reason the bypass is favoured over the sleeve as the success rate longer term is higher and the stats long term are known.

Hmm from what i've read silversurfer i know i'd prefer to have the bypass... I dont relish the idea of having to go back for another op .. rather get it done and dusted in one go lol

call me ignorant but what is the sleeve ? I wasnt even given this choice.
helen
x

the sleeve is when they cut 3 quarters of the stomach and then they staple and u r expected to lose 30 to 50 % of your body weight ppl tend to have the bypass 18 months later but im told the sleeve is agood enough 4 somme pl without the 2nd stage x

At two years the weight loss is said to be comparable with a bypass at up to 70%. The only problem is there are no long term outcome results yet as the sleeve is new as a stand alone procedure. It does have the advantage of removing the curved part of the stomach which produces the 'hunger hormone' Ghrelin.

I basically went with what my Consultant thinks is the best option for me, we discussed all in great detail. I am having the bypass. :)

My understanding is that the sleeve gets you to a weight where it is safe to have a bypass. Some people I know have had it as a stand alone procedure and are very happy although there is the chance that over time it stretches, allowing you to consume more food and regain weight - thats why its normally used as an interim procedure

I have a friend who had the sleeve and she has lost weight really well. She had the op in may but still has great restriction.

I had Mr Manuur & was operated on @ the Hommerton....
At my first meeting with Mr Manuur he talked through all options with me, but recommended the Bypass for me.... As he was the expert I felt confident in going with his advice....

Good luck

I am on the list to have a sleeve. The surgeon made this decision as my bmi was above 55, but they have said that if I get my bmi lower I may end up with a full bypass. At the end of the day I would do with what your surgeon suggests.

My understanding is that it is a half bypass. They do the stomach staple part but leave your intestine alone. You can than have the intestine part done at a later date. My bariatric dietician also said that I could lose up to 65% of my excess weight with a sleeve.

I would say that the best person to ask on here is Mixman, as he has had great success with this operation.

I was given a lot of info on both surgeries today, although i did say i'm leaning more towards the bypass - guess i'll have to wait and see what the surgeon recommends.:D

Thanks for all the replies

Back