• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

DS or Sleeve?

CajunPeach

I went to my seminar on Saturday. I went in thinking I wanted the DS, but now I'm thinking the sleeve. I am 33 years old and 311 lbs I have a lot to loose. Any opinions on my options. They did tell me that the sleeve could become a DS at a later date if I wanted, but I'm not sure I want to put myself through 2 WLS surgeries. Any suggestions and help would be appreciated.

Sleeve all the way. I started at 308 pounds. DS is drastic!!

There aren't that many ds'ers on here but they have been very successful !

The ds is restrictive and malabsorptive, like the bypass but part of the stomach is removed, like the sleeve.

The ds is more risky and carries more of a risk of deficiencies post op.

Were you thinking ds because that's what you were advised?

The sleeve is more often a stand alone procedure now but used to be the first part of a DS for patients with a lot of weight to lose.

Good luck on your journey xx

the sleeve all the way, i have lost 5 stone 9lb up to now gone from 27 1/2 stone to 21 stone 10lb so loving it, got a fair way to go but im hopeful

How long ago did the both of you have the sleeve done?

No one recommended the DS it was just my thought going into this.

I originally wanted the DS. I don't know your starting weight, but I was 30 stone plus. My hospital told me they didn't do them because there were so many who struggled with deficiencies post op. I ended up having the RNY instead and am very happy for it.

How long ago did the both of you have the sleeve done?

No one recommended the DS it was just my thought going into this.

July last year for me. 10 stone down. 2 to go.

I'm in a similar situation.... The only difference is I had the sleeve back in 2009 ( I've since regained the weight and some).... Been offered revision surgery and I'm stuck between DS and bypass... My dietician told me that there are too many risk associated with DS..... So I'm left confused at bit..... Think I will go with bypass thought.... Which ever you choose all the best...xx

I know that with the bypass and DS that malnutrition is a factor, but what are the other risk of the DS. I thought the DS and Bypass were very similar in risk.

I know that with the bypass and DS that malnutrition is a factor, but what are the other risk of the DS. I thought the DS and Bypass were very similar in risk.

Ds has much higher malabsorption and does not reduce capacity as much as the bypass.

i was over 300lb when I had my surgery but had a band. I've lost 10 stone so far.... Whatever you decide research as much as you can and be happy it's right for you :)

i had my sleeve done on the 5th of june this year, im down 5stone 9lb

Back