• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sleeve recovery time

4Gr8kids

I know that an overnight hospital stay is the norm after getting a sleeve. But once released from the hospital, are you able to walk around and carry on throughout your day? Within limits of course...

Everyone is different. I ended up,staying in hospital 3 nights because I didn't recover brilliantly. Once I got home I walked about a bit but mainly just sat about watching tv and napping. I went back to work after 2 weeks but it was a real struggle.

Thanks for the reply daisylou! Do you mind if I ask why you didn't recover brilliantly? Was it something you did or didn't do? I'm curious as to what it is really like.

I felt like a train had hit me and done bugger all for 2 weeks, i am a bit of chicken though!!

Kim

Hi, on the third day i went out for a walk, on the forth day i went for a taxi ride around the local countryside (i was sleeved in the czech republic), on the 5th day i travelled home, and on the 10th day i drove to Ireland! I was tired but fine!

My hospital stay was two nights.
No pain as such just very tired and achy. Beautiful bruise on my left wrist which hurt more than my incisions.
So far so good, no problems with pottering about the house. Was concerned about trying to do too much very quickly as I felt fine but as the Surgeon told me inside needs to heal. Dr has signed me off for three weeks so in total a month off work. I took note from others comments and didnt want to rush back.
I think it must depend on the individual :) pain threshold etc...

I think I reacted badly to the anaesthetic. My back was in agony (still don't understand that) and I spent the next day throwing up. Second day after op is when I got up and showered and started being able to drink. From there it was a really steady recovery. I'm just over 1 month out and I could still do with a nap every day, but I'm glad I got it done.

My stay in hospital was 2 nights, I wouldn't have wanted to go home after 1 night. Started walking to the shops by day 4 I think. I was back at work after 2 weeks.

I was unlucky and had complications. I had developed multiple leaks and had to stay in hospital for 4 months.

Still a works in process! Individual reactions to surgery and healing times vary. Important to walk at your own pace before trying to run. No 2 journeys are the same, or I'd be an adonis by now ;) good luck with you endeavours x

Hi! If you're asking bec of kids then I understand and I had same worries! I have 3 kids and they moved into my parents for 2 weeks. Thinking back yes I could have had them home but would have needed extra help for the 2 year old. I found the recovery quicker than expected- pain bad for 4 days and after that I managed to walk around ok. Best of luck!!!

Thanks Eve30! I was asking because of kids! I have 4 kids, my youngest are 2 and 3 and I wondered how long I would need help. :)

Aw when is your op? My kids are 10,6 and 2. As I said,it's the little ones you will need help with for approx 2 weeks- aftwr that I was completely myself again! You're doing the best thing though for your kids- so much more energy its amazing!

the day after the op you feel tired and think it'll take ages to recover, the 2ndday you're feeling much better, and for me by day 3 i was feeling great and ready to go home (which i did on day 4).

Day 4 - I did 12 hours of travelling (2 flights and lots of hanging about int he airport - on my own) and was abosultely fine - I just paced myself.

Day 5 - I have driving, looking after a 5 year old and doing the shopping in Tescos.

Day 7 - I was back at work (although I do work from home so I guess that makes it easier) . I've never looked back.

I have however recovered quickly and well, no complications, no pain, no problems of any kind.

We're all different & will heal differently - what you need to be prepared to do is listen to your body when it tells you how it feels. Take the help - you will need some with the kids - and step it down when you feel able to.........

Aw when is your op? My kids are 10,6 and 2. As I said,it's the little ones you will need help with for approx 2 weeks- aftwr that I was completely myself again! You're doing the best thing though for your kids- so much more energy its amazing![/QUOTE

Oh and my surgery date is Feb. 13! I told my hubs that he is getting off cheap for Valentine's day. No big dinner for me!!!

I hope I have a speedy recovery due to the fact that the day after I get home (which will be 6 days after surgery) I need to drive 3 & half hours to a meeting in Head office! I pray that everything goes well as I don't want them to know why I'm going to Prague!

Are you sure you can drive that soon post op? I didn't drive for 6 weeks. Can't you book a train?

Back