• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

sleeve v bypass

loz31uk

i just want some info on why ppl chose sleeve rather than bypass and how long you were in hospital and recovery time thanks

I haven't had my surgery yet not long though this Wednesday :) but the reason I chose the sleeve is it's a good middle point between bands and bypass. I want to be able to eat what normal people eat without the fear of dumping (although some people don't but you never know if your one of them until after op). The weight loss is equally as good as bypass and people on here are having great results. I have no co morbs if I had of had diabetes would of had bypass as the best option. It takes away part of the stomach that produces hunger hormone. Less riskier then bypass as an operation. All ops are great tools though just the sleeve was definitely for me :) x

thanks suzie290304 do you know how long you will be in hospital for x

I've been told anywhere from 1-3 days depending how quick I recover which I think is the same as the bypass :) x x x

I chose sleeve for similar reasons to suzie. I only had about four stone to lose, I thought bypass was a bit drastic for me and I was worried about malabsorption and dumping. I was in hospital not even one night; had the op at 11, woke up at 2 (had hiatus hernia repair as a BOGOF LOL!) was home in my own bed by 9 pm.

thanks all x

hi i personally chose the sleeve as i want permanat restriction but still wanted to absorb and take my nutrients from food the same way.....

so the sleeve for me was perfect! it restricted my intake of food, but i dont have the daily for life intake of vitamins to take and vitamin b12 injections... tho i gotta stress some sleeve people still need to have these everyone is different but its less likely with a sleeve as you dont have the malabsobtion that you get with a bypass.....

everyone reacts differently to surgery, the pain to be fair for what was done wasnt to bad! took me about 6 weeks to feel normal ish again lol

i wish you well with your journey xxx

thanks cherry got 6month to decide as 10 days had balloon inserted so gotta wait til thats removed in 6 month then hopefully put on waiting list x

I am down to have a bypass on the 9th Jan but they may have to do a sleeve is my bowels are too short.But either way I will be having it all done by keyhole

good luck with your op xx

Thanks

Hi there. I participated in a clinical trial where I'm blinded about the type of surgery. I either had gastric sleeve or gastric bypass - this was 4 weeks ago. I have read through experiences of those who underwent both surgeries. Interestingly the post op experiences seemingly are similar. The reason for this clinical study is to see if results are similar regardless of the type of surgery. It also measures the extent of diabetes resolve from either surgery. Hope this can give you some perspective.

Hi there. I participated in a clinical trial where I'm blinded about the type of surgery. I either had gastric sleeve or gastric bypass - this was 4 weeks ago. I have read through experiences of those who underwent both surgeries. Interestingly the post op experiences seemingly are similar. The reason for this clinical study is to see if results are similar regardless of the type of surgery. It also measures the extent of diabetes resolve from either surgery. Hope this can give you some perspective.
wow! welcome Random :) i'd love to know how you're feeling, what you're eating, i want to hear everything!! How did u get into that? i want it lol good luck with your surgery :) xxx

Very helpful but can you give us all the results please?

Hi and thank you.

I was referred by my GP to the Bariatric Team at the hospital in my district. I live in New Zealand. After two months I was invited to part take in the study. It was difficult for me to consider the Gastric Bypass as I understood the risks compared to gastric sleeve. After much to and fro-ing, decided to take part.

Went through the Optifast pre-op diet and lost 8kg. I have lost another 12 since I had the surgery.

I am on soft foods now and am eating well. Sometimes I have discomfort but know now it's usually if I don't chew too well or eat too fast.

Feeling pretty good and back to work.

Some days I feel like I'm sleeved and an other days I feel bypassed. The type of surgery will be revealed to me a year after my surgery date.

Hi and thank you.

I was referred by my GP to the Bariatric Team at the hospital in my district. I live in New Zealand. After two months I was invited to part take in the study. It was difficult for me to consider the Gastric Bypass as I understood the risks compared to gastric sleeve. After much to and fro-ing, decided to take part.

Went through the Optifast pre-op diet and lost 8kg. I have lost another 12 since I had the surgery.

I am on soft foods now and am eating well. Sometimes I have discomfort but know now it's usually if I don't chew too well or eat too fast.

Some days I feel like I'm sleeved and an other days I feel bypassed. The type of surgery will be revealed to me a year after my surgery date.
i wish you all the luck in the world :) xxx

Hi and thank you.

Hi & welcome to the forum :) Whereabouts in NZ are you? I have relatives in Ch Ch & have had a rotten year worrying about them all what with the earthquakes etc. Hope you are far away from all the upheaval caused by them :wave_cry: Good luck with the next 11mths but if the weight loss is good, I don't suppose you will care which surgery you had :):):) xxx

I'm all for the sleeve I think as I have a perennial abscess n a fistula so don't think the surgeon will do the bypass as I have trouble with bowels ect threw above ;) but tbh I don't mind between the 2 of them ops I no I defo dont want a band I've got 8 friends who had bands we all applied 2gether they were lucky as where they live there docs litrally put then in for funding accepted then ops it's been well over there 2yrs all but 1 is at target there all signed of n slim ;) the one who never lost owt but gained is bk tryin for a bypass they never put me of a band it's just I've watched there journeys with all the bk n to hosp for fills ect is more than I wanna do as I carnt drive so wud need prester my oh all the time lol so I'll be happy with either sleeve or bypass got my letter from spite yesterday go meet mr a agwunobi on the 16th jsn so I'm sure I'll no wot he thinks is best then ;) xx

Good luck with wot ever u decide Hun ;) n well dun to trial ;) hope u both have great losses ;) x

Oh wow I hadn't realized you had surgery and had no idea which. One way of guessing I suppose: have something high fat or high sugar; if you dump, you're bypassed.

Back