• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

sleeve v bypass

Oh wow I hadn't realized you had surgery and had no idea which. One way of guessing I suppose: have something high fat or high sugar; if you dump, you're bypassed.

Not necessarily, Ruthie. Good idea in theory, but ..... if you have read lots of threads from other sleevies, about 50% of sleevies do "dump" and 80% of bypassers.

So a deliberate sugar test to see if the RandomTrial person did dump would only indicate a slightly higher *probability* that they have been bypassed, not conclusive.

It could still be a sleeve, and they might be a sleevie who does "dump".

Not necessarily, Ruthie. Good idea in theory, but ..... if you have read lots of threads from other sleevies, about 50% of sleevies do "dump" and 80% of bypassers.

So a deliberate sugar test to see if the RandomTrial person did dump would only indicate a slightly higher *probability* that they have been bypassed, not conclusive.

It could still be a sleeve, and they might be a sleevie who does "dump".

Oh OK, well what do I know!:p

Hi there. I participated in a clinical trial where I'm blinded about the type of surgery. I either had gastric sleeve or gastric bypass - this was 4 weeks ago. I have read through experiences of those who underwent both surgeries. Interestingly the post op experiences seemingly are similar. The reason for this clinical study is to see if results are similar regardless of the type of surgery. It also measures the extent of diabetes resolve from either surgery. Hope this can give you some perspective.

Wow! Absolutely fascinating, RandomTrial !!!

Welcome to the forum and look forward to hearing more about your own journey and how the "bariatric surgery" (of either version) works for you, and the scientific results of the survey at the end of the year / 2 years (whatever).

Altho I will have had my op by the time the results come out and will have had to make a decision (I am currently erring on the cautious side of wanting a sleeve -- but have still to see my surgeon and see if he will agree with me).

v v interested to read !!!

Oh OK, well what do I know!:p

I have only made myself aware, Ruthie, because I have been reading madly avidly about the sleeve ..... I am keen for a sleeve which many surgeons might feel is an "unusual" choice for a 300+ lb person with Type 2 diabetes and other co-morbidities.

I realise for slightly less obese peeps like yourself the sleeve is a simple option, and you would not require the more intense re-plumbing / malabsorbption (viz "malnutrition") that a RNY creates.

I am hoping to not need the re-plumbing either, if possible as I find the prospect a bit too daunting. Have to see yet if my surgeon will agree with me that a sleeve will work for me, if I am determined to make it so !!!

When I found out that quite a lot of sleevies do dump, I was happy to know that ait can have the same effect are pretty much the same as with a full bypass.

I don't think the weight loss is that much less either. Not sure...you're obviously the well read one!

I am only just above the obese line now with my BMI at 32.9...2.9 points to go and I can be below the line!

TwinkleTwinkle said:
Hi & welcome to the forum :) Whereabouts in NZ are you? I have relatives in Ch Ch & have had a rotten year worrying about them all what with the earthquakes etc. Hope you are far away from all the upheaval caused by them :wave_cry: Good luck with the next 11mths but if the weight loss is good, I don't suppose you will care which surgery you had :):):) xxx

Hi I am in Auckland so luckily a fair way from Christchurch. I'm beginning to realize
that by the time I find out what surgery i had it won't really matter :) thank you for the good wishes

Just an update. Received confirmation that my diabetes type 2 has been resolved- gone! I have an HbA1C reading which is normal. This test measure blood glucose levels indicative over the 12 months prior. Have lost 15kg since my op 12 weeks ago. I guess BMI is the kicker for me from 43 to 35! Pretty happy with results so far

I did want bypass but surgeon thought it was best for me to have the sleeve due to my weight of 313lbs and BMI of 65 but so far on sleeve I lost 17lbs in four weeks , and 17lbs on pre op total 34lbs

Just an update. Received confirmation that my diabetes type 2 has been resolved- gone! I have an HbA1C reading which is normal. This test measure blood glucose levels indicative over the 12 months prior. Have lost 15kg since my op 12 weeks ago. I guess BMI is the kicker for me from 43 to 35! Pretty happy with results so far
thats fantastic RT woop!!! thanks for keeping us updated, when will you know what op u had? :) xxx

I did want bypass but surgeon thought it was best for me to have the sleeve due to my weight of 313lbs and BMI of 65 but so far on sleeve I lost 17lbs in four weeks , and 17lbs on pre op total 34lbs

And you're disappointed with that? :eek:

I've "only" lost 5lbs more than you and that's since November 2011 and I'm delighted. What did you expect to lose in four weeks? You've lost more than a stone in a month, and another stone on pre op. I think that's pretty amazing by anyone's standards!

Wow that is so interesting, i think it would drive me mad not knowing lol. I have had the bypass and sometimes feel like nothing has been done. I do not dump so far. I have not lost any hair, all my bloods have been fine and i lose weight at a steady slow pace. I average around about 10 pounds per month and that is quite slow to some other people. I have read that some people Sleeves included have lost double the amount i have but on saying that i am just happy just to have lost. I wish you all the best as i do all that have or are waiting to have there surgery. ps i did ask could i have the sleeve was refused due to being diabetic. I think i would have been happy with either and just grateful that i was allowed any surgery on the NHS.

I'm sorry to bang on about this, and maybe it's because I don't have as much to lose as some others, but ten pounds a month is SLOW????? I'd have lost all my excess weight by now if I lost that much! Sometimes I lose nothing in a week, sometimes only a pound or two a week, I have never lost ten pounds in a month, ever.

I don't understand why people expect to lose stones every month!!

I am very happy with my weight loss I realy am , its I was just worried I have not lost anything in 9 days and just wondered was this normal I started at 22 st 4lb and now weigh 19st 12lb and have another 9 stone to go as I only 4 ft 9 x

Tracey; think of your weight loss as a flight of stairs going down. There's the down bits and the flat bits. The flat bits are where our weightloss stalls. It's our bodies adjusting to the loss until they "let go" again. So a stall of 9 days or even two weeks is very common. Patience is a virtue.

Caren said:
thats fantastic RT woop!!! thanks for keeping us updated, when will you know what op u had? :) xxx

Thanks Caren, will only know what I had in December this year. An aside observation though, I do seem to be able to eat a full starter portion without any discomfort. Sometimes I wonder why I can get so much food in when others battle. The weight loss is continuous at least ('',)

Thanks Caren, will only know what I had in December this year. An aside observation though, I do seem to be able to eat a full starter portion without any discomfort. Sometimes I wonder why I can get so much food in when others battle. The weight loss is continuous at least ('',)
its great that the weightloss is steady. The amount people can eat is so diverse, its impossible to even imagine what surgery you had. I dont suppose you actually care though, as its going so well for you :)
Good luck, keep going :) xxx

How interesting Random Trial!

I am hoping to get a sleeve, I went to a private open event at the Spire Hospital and went through the four options, Ballon,Band,Sleeve & Bypass.

There are many reasons I want the sleeve all of those mentioned here and also because I dont want my girls to grow up with the same food issues I did and I want them to see their mum have a healthy relationship with food, So by able to eat allbeit tiny but healthy portions of real food I feel this will be better for them than seeing Mummy on a bypass.

I'm having a sleeve for the same reason - I have two girls and I want them to have a healthy relationship with food and exercise.

My Mam has been on a diet my whole life and she put me on weight watchers at 13 when I wasn't overweight (just puppy fat) and I've just got bigger and bigger ever since.

I am having wlsurgery for me but more importantly so that they don't grow up with the same issues that I did x

Back