• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sleevers advice please

pollybree

Hi Can anyone give me some advice regarding the sleeve?? Do you get alot of pain post op? The idea of having so much stomach taken away terrifies me but I would prefer to have one over the band because of the sucess rates. I am starting to take vitiamins now before I decide on any operation. This op is fairly new what kind of problems post surgery have you guys had??

Had my sleeve at the end of September.
I had watched a work colleague struggle with a band for a couple of years, and from my point of view I knew that a band was not for me.

I don't regret having the sleeve at all. Apart from a bit of discomfort in the two days post op I have not had any pain at all from it. I have lost six stone in 5 months, I feel great. I had dumping a couple of times in the early days, but now know what to do to avoid it. I've halved my blood pressure meds, and I am so much more mobile than I ever was. And my social life is as good as ever, I just have much more control over the size of portions I eat when I go out to a restaurant.

Hi Can anyone give me some advice regarding the sleeve?? Do you get alot of pain post op?

Day (1): felt like been kicked by a horse, on huge doses of pain killers prescribed by hospital

Day (2): feeling human again but definitely a lot of stomach / chest pain, goes away after taking meds, returns about 3 or 4 hours later (next set of meds) -- bearable and controllable

Days (3) -- (10) -- not too much pain, but very tired, weak.

This op is fairly new what kind of problems post surgery have you guys had??

1. I did develop gastritis (inflammation of the stomach lining) about 6 weeks post op, but that is rare -- only a small percentage of WLS people (sleeve or bypass) will ever get gastritis

2. I have become *slightly* deficient in Vitamin D and Calcium which has been picked up by my hospital at 4 month and 8 month blood tests. I have now been prescribed Fultium D3 which is a Vit D supplement and also *aids* the body absorb more of the Calcium I am already consuming.

The *only* reason sleevers might end up with Vit D and calcium deficiencies is due to taking PPI meds (Proton Pump Inhibitors) -- Lansoprazole and Omeprazole which reduce stomach acid production ...... unfortunately stomach acid is needed for the *efficient* absorption of Calcium and Vitamin D.

I am hoping that within the next 6 months I will be able to reduce the dose of Lansoprazole I am taking / wean myself off it completely, and that will then obviate the problem, return my body's own natural absorption of Calcium and Vitamin D to normal.

3. I do experience "dumping" (rapid gastric emptying) on some very high sugar / high GI foods ...... this includes any pure fruit juice (orange juice) and some actual fruit (pineapple) as well as certain "naughty" things.

About 40% of sleevers do experience "dumping" so it does not happen just to bypassers.

i had my sleeve in may and had no pain at all, ive had problems with eating or anything and im just 3lb off my goal weight . . . . love love love my sleeve, good luck :) x

Love my sleeve, no regrets. Takes a good while for the swelling to go down and your portions to go up but in that time you are losing a lot! I'm 7 months out and 7 stone down and have no regrets :)

I love my sleeve too! I had no post op pain, just slight incision discomfort. I was very lucky :) I am a slower loser than some on this thread, 5 stone in 6 months, but my starting bmi was lower i think!

Had my sleeve 14th Jan. No pain at all, no discomfort, in fact if it wasnt for the incisions when I came round I would not have believed they had operated. Different people have different pain thresholds and different experiences. Mine was totally pain free and I only took paracetamol because the nurses insisted. So far no sign of dumping.

Do not own scales so will find out on the 5th March at my check up how much weight I have lost.

The band I felt was too fussy and high maintenance. The bypass too drastic. The sleeve was my choice and thankfully the Surgeon agreed my choice was the better option for me.

Good luck :) it is an amazing experience. x

I have decided that the bypass is too huge of an op and too many bands have failed so I have settled on the sleeve. ;)

However your User Info on the left hand side still says "Bypass hopeful"

Perhaps next time your are online on a laptop or home PC you might like to Edit your User CP info (I am aware peeps say they often can't edit it from smart phone type apps).

Ahhhhhhhhh! I see :) Your info panel says bypass hopeful so that's why I was a bit confused... What stage are you at in the process again? Do you have the funding in place and are awaiting a date for surgery?

Last edited:
Info updated, my seminar is next Tuesday so I am pretty much at the beginning at Darlington Hospital where that waiting times are really quick.....Cant wait to get sorted!!

I too was in little pain. And If I Did Have some the nurses gave me pain meds. In fact my knee was more painful than my sleeve. Have oesteo arth in knee. Hope weight loss will help.

The first hour after I had pain but, none apart from that. I was quite surprised considering what they had done. It truly will be the best thing you ever do

I had my sleeve 24th Jan and seem to have had more pain than others and I haven't ever considered myself (or been considered by others) as someone with a low pain threshold. The pain was, however, far outweighed by the post op nausea despite the anti sickness drugs given to me. It was bearable with medication though. I also found starting on water really hard (and actually a bit painful too) but after they let me have warm drinks it all settled down and since hospital I have had no problem with puree or drinks and no nausea or sickness but that could also be because I am erring on the side or caution and following my providers instructions to the letter. I am 3 stone down from the start of my pre op diet on 10th Jan (5 weeks Thursday) and am delighted. Towards the end of last week I started to feel dog tired (like at the begginning of pregnancy). My provider advised me to source some good quality, suckable multi vits to bridge the gap between being able to start my precribed ones on Thursday this week. By the weekend I was feeling fine again thank goodness.
I too chose the sleeve because I was simply too chicken to undertake the bypass. I am also aware that I become vitamin deficient very easily when in the past I taken my eye off of the 5 a day rule so I was personally very concerned about malabsorbtion. After attending a number of info semniars I also discounted the band as I felt my weight was too high and was worried I might try and cheat it and cause myself real problems instead of "serve you right" pain and discomfort etc. In the end my chosen surgeon actually recommended the sleeve for me along with a fobi ring to guard against future weight gain. Good luck with your journey. It's tough one but one I am very relieved to have made even now before significant weightloss.

This is a great thread. I am looking at having a sleeve, my appointment with my surgeon is in 2 weeks. The more real info we can get before making a final decision the better. All of your replies are supporting my decision to go ahead with the sleeve. I did have a band but had to have it removed after it slipped. I have of course been putting weight back on since it was removed (lots of it) the ability to eat sandwiches and baked dinners again was just irresistible. So thanks all for the information and congratulations to everyone who is having great success.

I couldn't recommend the sleeve more highly! i had no pan what-so-ever through-out my whole experience. No complications either.

I am 6 weeks and 1 day post op and have lost 3stone and 2lbs in total (including a 1 week pre-op diet).

Best thing i ever did!

12months post op sleeve this coming monday
16stone 6lb down

Mixed feelings in general, however today is a good day and I like it :) wish you all the best :)

Back