• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sleevers - Vit B12 or not?

Jacwat

Hi Everyone

Just trying to work out whether us sleevers need Vit B12 injection or not? I have just been to GP's and they were unsure. I am feeling very tired so was hoping this would make a difference. Still waiting for follow up form hospital and no advice was given on discharge.

Just wondered if anyone had had it?

Just had all my bloods done so hopefully get some answers soon.

Thanks
Jackie

Hiya, The new guidelines do indeed say that B12 is needed for sleevers but I know some providers and GPs still aren't adhering (including mine).

I do know that you usually have around 6 mths or so of supply in your body, so I would have thought it unlikely you're short at 2 mths post op (unless of course you were running low before your op). I think the tiredness is just a general lack of food and the body getting used to everything.

Hopefully your recent blood tests will give you an idea on levels.

I currently use the B12 boost from Holland & Barratt - someone on here had recommended it. It might help you.

Hiya, The new guidelines do indeed say that B12 is needed for sleevers but I know some providers and GPs still aren't adhering (including mine).

I do know that you usually have around 6 mths or so of supply in your body, so I would have thought it unlikely you're short at 2 mths post op (unless of course you were running low before your op). I think the tiredness is just a general lack of food and the body getting used to everything.

Hopefully your recent blood tests will give you an idea on levels.

I currently use the B12 boost from Holland & Barratt - someone on here had recommended it. It might help you.

Ah thanks Bear. Can I ask what the B12 boost is called as may be worth getting that? Also what vitamins do you take as I currently have Boots own but not sure if they are the best or not.
Sorry for all the questions! xx

I don't have it, my levels are fine too but my iron is low so I now have iron tablets. Tiredness can be a lot of things..mainly lack of food! But I was tired due to the lack of iron and now I'm full steam ahead again!

I don't have it, my levels are fine too but my iron is low so I now have iron tablets. Tiredness can be a lot of things..mainly lack of food! But I was tired due to the lack of iron and now I'm full steam ahead again!

Thanks Karina, do you feel like you did post op now then? ️Xxx

Yes totally I feel fine but I would say it's only from about 9 months out that I started to feel less tired. I manage happily on around 1100 calories a day and have plenty of energy.. The less you weigh the less energy it takes to get around!

This is the B12 Boost I use. I also take Sanatogen A-Z Complete which is a multivitamin that was on my providers recommendation list.

Karina, is the low iron from your latest blood tests? Was it mega low?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    363.6 KB · Views: 28
It was from June I think, it wasn't mega low but enough to have 400mg a day prescribed...to be fair I bleed a lot with fibroids though so that doesn't help. Other than that all levels normal

One year out and I've just been told that my levels are low (150) so need to have injections.

Have you felt tired Helen?

This is the B12 Boost I use. I also take Sanatogen A-Z Complete which is a multivitamin that was on my providers recommendation list.

Karina, is the low iron from your latest blood tests? Was it mega low?

Thanks for this Bear, I will try and pick some up today! xx

Oooo really, I didn't realise they did a D3 spray. I get D3 in prescription but I really wish someone would tell me what I actually need.

I think one of issues of having private surgery is that the companies don't really communicate well with the GP's and the GP's don't have much idea about anything.

Think I need to pester to get a blood test next month and then see where I am with things.

Oooo really, I didn't realise they did a D3 spray. I get D3 in prescription but I really wish someone would tell me what I actually need. I think one of issues of having private surgery is that the companies don't really communicate well with the GP's and the GP's don't have much idea about anything. Think I need to pester to get a blood test next month and then see where I am with things.

Ask for a full blood profile, it'll show where you're lacking

My B12 has kicked in and I don't feel as tired as before (still have odd tired days) but glad I got everything checked.

I had a blood test yesterday. Will call for the results on Monday. I tried to drum it into my GP that he needs to be looking at iron and b12. Fingers crossed my levels are good.

Back