• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Slight O/T - Advice please..severe Flu

Hi everyone... hoping some nice person will be able to help/ advise me cos am a little worried..

I went hospital weds, had check up, Maureen hugely plsd with me - since 6wk op recovery (op was may so since mid june) - am 10kg/ 22lb/ 1st 8 down n dropping, now 17st 10 (lost since weds), had top-up fill and at the minute.. am struggling..

I've got severe flu.. high possibility I actually have swine flu as bezzie m8 got it n was at hers last wk and within couple days of me being with her - she got diagnosed with swine flu.. I've got every symptom but constant fever which is why at minute, OH has booted me back to bed and treating me as if 'normal' flu..but due to the co-morbidities pre-op, am classed in 'at risk' group for normal flu jabs which just being done in some surgeries here..

but trouble I got is eating - I feel hungry but not keeping anything in - it going right through (sowwy) , cough pulling on port n staples, temperature is yo-yoing between 37.2 and 38.9 and as well as usual aching, lethargy, snuffles,headaches n am sleeping loads.. now.. can anyone advise as to how long should I leave contacting gp, am I right in thinking that as long as am managing fluids then not to worry so much over actual food and if I feel able to eat, what should I try? :confused:
Last thing I need right now is being ill, not had flu in over 10yrs and at the minute - I feel like have been steamrollered, tumbled, rerolled and chucked back into my skin.. has took me 45min to be able to write this in bits as cant sit long, feel dizzy etc etc..
if you read this far.. thanks.. any advice appreciated.. sorry for rambling..

Hi everyone... hoping some nice person will be able to help/ advise me cos am a little worried..

I went hospital weds, had check up, Maureen hugely plsd with me - since 6wk op recovery (op was may so since mid june) - am 10kg/ 22lb/ 1st 8 down n dropping, now 17st 10 (lost since weds), had top-up fill and at the minute.. am struggling..

I've got severe flu.. high possibility I actually have swine flu as bezzie m8 got it n was at hers last wk and within couple days of me being with her - she got diagnosed with swine flu.. I've got every symptom but constant fever which is why at minute, OH has booted me back to bed and treating me as if 'normal' flu..but due to the co-morbidities pre-op, am classed in 'at risk' group for normal flu jabs which just being done in some surgeries here..

but trouble I got is eating - I feel hungry but not keeping anything in - it going right through (sowwy) , cough pulling on port n staples, temperature is yo-yoing between 37.2 and 38.9 and as well as usual aching, lethargy, snuffles,headaches n am sleeping loads.. now.. can anyone advise as to how long should I leave contacting gp, am I right in thinking that as long as am managing fluids then not to worry so much over actual food and if I feel able to eat, what should I try? :confused:
Last thing I need right now is being ill, not had flu in over 10yrs and at the minute - I feel like have been steamrollered, tumbled, rerolled and chucked back into my skin.. has took me 45min to be able to write this in bits as cant sit long, feel dizzy etc etc..

Hiya Mands :)

If it was me I would contact a doctor asap and get checked out. Especially with your mate being diagnosed with swine flu. Normal temp is around 36.5 and me and you are not doctors are we?

Let us know how you get on and do what YOU feel is right to do tonight as only YOU know how you are really feeling,

Isis xx :)

Hi Mands,
Hope you're ok.
If you follow the instructions on the NHS Direct website, they will ask you a series of questions. Answer them honestly and at the end it will tell you whether or not you could have swine flu.
If so, you will be given a reference number to obtain tamiflu.
Having said all of that, I guess it is not quite so straight forward if you have had wls.
I think it is vital that you keep your fluids up, but I think you should also seek first hand medical advice - can you telephone your hospital?
Take Care x

Hi cant say no more than wat the others have said, but pls dont stay at home and try and sweat this out pls call for advice.
Hope u feel better soon and make sure u drink plenty of fluids xxx

Bless you Mands, I know how you're feeling as I was the same for the last 2 weeks. I thought it was a flu and my temp fluctuated between 38 and at one point 41.9.I have never felt so ill in all my life. I did'nt think I had swine flu as I had'nt been near anyone who had it. I tried to sweat it out just like you're doing. When I eventually went to see my gp he said that I should have been admitted to hospital because all the symptoms I had, led him to be convinced I had pnuemonia. Please don't suffer like I did. Ring the nhs help line and ask their advice sweetheart. I really hope you feel better soon and get the help you needxxxx

Slight O/T - Advice please..severe Flu ( UPDATE )

Hey everyone..

well after reading your advice and supporting messages from last post.. and after being so poorly over the weekend, I rung drs on Mon 28th as had blood tests booked for weds 30th and asked for GP to ring me back after explaining had allf lu symptoms and nhs direct said yes had swine flu but pandemic site said no I didnt have.. talk about confusing.. .. anyway..

Gp rung me back at end of morning surgery, explained how weekend had been, all symptoms etc and he dropped the bombshell.. 'Yes Mands, you do have swine flu however as your temperature has peaked over weekend and dropped, you are on recovering side and the Tamiflu wont help you any so continue as you have been doing til now and if temp rises or you get worse then ring us back and we'll arrange something for you'

could have knocked me down with a feather.. but after being in bed for 4 days, constant headaches, taking cold n flu capsules, trying to eat least once a day and drink my fluids..

you'll be glad to hear that am definately much better.. I've got a slight sore throat still, still getting cold shivers and have a cough but my energy is slowly returning.. :)

Just wish my appetite would though.. :confused: since had 2nd fill, my 'feeling of hunger' has dropped quite dramatically and am not sure what to do or how to get it back on track.. I've lost a total of 5lb since having the 2nd fill but had put that down to having S.F. and am getting concerned at how little am eating now..
I cant eat to the clock - as in 3 meals a day - I put weight on! Crazy isnt it! Portion sizes arent huge (280g max) but still managed to go up - but lost that and then some.. I dont snack.. I just don't feel hungry.. :sigh:
I'm awake to get daughter out to school at 7am, go back to bed til 9.30am, get up, have shower, get dressed, start chores and am lucky if by 12.30 - I have ANY 'rumbly tum' hungry feelings.. I've been known to be stood in kitchen @ 2.30pm - looking in the fridge as by that point, am starting to get the 'rumbles' and look for something light to put me til 6pm and tea-time.. BUTTTTTTTTT.. if I DO eat anything mid afternoon.. then am not hungry at tea-time, and dont actually end up eating anything else til @ 9.45pm when its a yoghurt and thats more because I know I cant just survive on a single meal daily..

Can anyone please help me sort this as am starting to feel alienated from the family and its really worrying OH at the lack of food am having each day.. (by the way - fill was from 4.5ml to 5.5ml so not huge amount or huge increase either)

Back