• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Slow cooker and the Band?

Sarah Metcalf

Now Charlie has started school I thought I'd make life a little easier and start to use the slow cooker more. However I don't know where to start? Also, will slow cooked food be too soft for restriction?

If you have any good recipes for it please would you share them?

Thanks xx

I'm probably not the best equipped to answer and certainly hopeless when it comes to recipes as I'm as good in the kitchen as a Fish on a push bike!
But....the "OH" does make a particularly good casserole or stew (never know which is which) using stewing steak, pearl barley, carrots and other assorted veg. I do know you can use them just as you would a normal oven and so I do know they're good for other things and not just soups.

I use my slow cooker regularly and love it. I do all my joints of meat in there, chicken, lamb, gammon, beef etc. Taste so much better! With chicken I don't add anything, just put it in whole on low for about 8 hours. Lamb and beef I make a very thick gravy and again low all day long, the juices come out and thin the gravy down. Gammon I put a few inches of apple juice or cider in the bottom, high for 2/3 hours then low for 4-6. Any pork must be blasted on high for a few hours, never just low.

In addition, I do casseroles, bolognaise, meatballs, curry, chilli, stews, ratatouille, chicken in white wine, the base for cottage/shepherds pie.

The only thing I ever brown before putting in is sausages, otherwise they look a bit grey and anaemic, and meatballs to stop them falling apart.

The meat is moist and tender, just beautiful. Plus it's convenient, just throw it on in the morning and have dinner when you want. I always make double quantities and freeze the leftovers in portioned foil trays so we have lots if home-made ready meals on standby. Great with the baby as I can take a bit out for him early on then we can have ours later.

I have been using mine for years and never had a meal go wrong in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Oh and a couple of general tips.

If putting veg in, particularly root veg, it will need a few hours on high as they won't soften on low.

Always remember steam doesn't escape so sauces won't thicken, if anything they thin down due to meat juices, so keep a packet of cornflour or some thickening granules on standby and assess an hour or so before serving.

With casseroles you can add dumplings an hour before serving if wanted, they won't go brown on top but will cook and taste yummy, maybe not for you but your family might enjoy them!

Oh and a couple of general tips.

If putting veg in, particularly root veg, it will need a few hours on high as they won't soften on low.

Always remember steam doesn't escape so sauces won't thicken, if anything they thin down due to meat juices, so keep a packet of cornflour or some thickening granules on standby and assess an hour or so before serving.

With casseroles you can add dumplings an hour before serving if wanted, they won't go brown on top but will cook and taste yummy, maybe not for you but your family might enjoy them!

What time do you want us all round then? :eating:

So long as you don't mind a bottle of ensure for dinner everyones welcome, am stuck in bed so that's all that's on offer today!

I am with Shelbell (some great tips) and use the slow cooker whenever I can. I throw whatever in with stock and thicken with gravy granules later. Joints of meat are brilliant. As far as I am concerned with the restriction I have the more tender the meat the better. You will need to just watch what you serve as a portion size as you may find the meat easier to get down and eat more than you should.

tranquil x

Bolognaise for me is raw mince broken up, some good quality tomato & roast veg pasta sauce (can't think of the name of the one I get, its the healthiest one you can buy, and yummy), pack of mushrooms chopped up, couple of peppers diced, sweetcorn, tin of chopped tomatoes, splash of worcestershire sauce, seasoning and that's it. You can make your own sauce easily enough by roasting off a load if tomatoes and veg in fry light then blending or mushing with a fork.

Best to use a really lean mince as the fat can't drain off.

I always make a cooker full (about 3 litres), and use it for lasagne, bolognaise, and pasticchio. I bulk it up with veg to make it healthier and to make the meat go further. The kids never mind, they're used to finding green beans and all sorts in there!

Forgot to say, it is SO much better than pan cooked mince, the meat is so soft it just melts in your mouth, none of those chewy lumps you can get. But you must break apart the mince by hand when it goes in or you get clumps.

Could i get the same result as a slow cooker using the oven? or as a future banders it would be a good idea to invest in a slow cooker?

Could i get the same result as a slow cooker using the oven? or as a future banders it would be a good idea to invest in a slow cooker?

Hi

It really will depend on your tolerence for meat post op. Some banders can eat meat that has been slow cooked easier than meat cooked conventionally.

I dont eat meat at all but do have a slow cooker gathering dust on top of my kitchen units :D

When my OH and daughter want chicken etc they want it fast and Im not around or organised enough to plan anything otherwise!

One problem is the cost of having your oven running for atleast 6 hours. The slow cooker is far more economical. You can get a decent one now for £20-30 so they aren't too expensive. I've seen them for £10 in the supermarkets if you wanted to try a cheap one before investing in anything expensive.

Iv just moved house and found whilst unpacking my slow cooker had got smashed :( it was a really big one great for big joints , but i wanted a smaller one that i could just do a couple of meals worth in and today i found one in wilkinsons only £7.00 not big enough for big familys but great for a couple or a single person . Ill be using mine tomorrow to make a mexican chicken stew :) x

How odd!!!
I have just switched mine off. I put a big piece of brisket that I got from the reduced counter (todays date), three carrots, an onion chopped into big chunks, half a yellow pepper that was left over from yesterday, some savoy cabbage, just about 6 leaves torn up, salt, pepper, provencial herbs, and an oxo cube, covered it with boiling water, I always use boiling water because I find that it helps the veg to soften.
This has made masses of a stew base which I will use now to make my dinners with for the rest of the week. I like to eat a lot of protein and having loads of gravy with it makes it go down easier.
Lynne x

I have just got a new slowcooker :D (hubby broke the last one again :mad:)
3.5 litre from Asda for £9 in the sale was suppose £15 :D:D

Hi Sarah,

I live on my own and got my small slow cooker from Asda on sale for £6.00. A bargin to say the least and I make all sorts in mine from soup to stews etc. Love my slow cooker and persuaded my sister to get one. Now they have hot meals when ever they are all at work all day or going to be out all day and too tired to cook. Toss all ingredients in with plenty gravy granuals and high cook for a couple of hours. My brother in law puts theirs on a timer for high cook or switches on low cook for all day. Most meals cooked in oven can be slow cooked, though I havent ever done my bolognaise without browing my mince first but, will try it now after reading the previous posts. :D yummy my tummy is rumbling now. x

CURRY:- raw diced chicken, and whatever veg you like, then a jar of whatever sauce you like....cook...then 30 minutes before the end whack in a packet of microwavable rice and let it all cook...yummy and easy peesy

STEW:- My fav has to be corned beef stew. Chuck all your chunky veg in the pot, place cubed corned beef on top, add in enough vegetable stock to cover veggies and cook!

SOUP:- Chuck loads of veggies in the pot and vegetable stock cube and cook...then about 1 hour before end, add in some pasta...yummy

LAMB SHANKS:- Go to your local butchers as they are very cheap there. i do brown these off first in a frying pan and little oil. in the pot i put some onions, maybe whole baby potatoes, loads of fresh rosemary and garlic, then place the shanks on top. I then mix a little bisto gravy and add into that mint sauce and cover the veggies. Delish!

Other ideas, but not yet tried:-
1) homemade porridge
2) spag bol (but will try very soon)
3) rice pudding

Love mine and love this time of year when its on every day.

Funny I have came across this post just after putting my new 6.5 litre slow cooker on! Filled it to the brim with carrots, shallots, leeks, swede, potatoes, corn beef, beef stock and loads of pepper! Set it to auto and will add some Aunt Bessies granuals before serving for lunch tomorrow. Must say after a day of ickyness, with whatever food I have tried, I am certainly looking forward to it!! xx

Back