• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Slow starter

salski

Hi Guys - I know Ive posted on here many times with regards to my weight loss, however I am still finding that I am not losing any weight and its been 3 weeks and 3 days since my bypass.

Has anyone else been like this? I weighed myself yesterday and day before in the morning and it showed a 2 kilo weight loss, so I went online and got myself a new tracker, however I have weighed myself tonight and its back up to 120 kilos...the same as the day of my operation.

I am using the same set of scales, and I know that I have eaten today so Im likely to be heavier, but I just wondered how long it took other people to loose weight as Im beginning to doubt the surgery and my life changing decision to have it.

Sorry for moaning...again...but I am very worried -

Sally :sign0163:

Sorry, im not sure what kilos are in pounds etc, but wanted to ask what kind of things you are eating?
Try and eat lots of protein, as that can help with the weight loss. Also with women, weight can vary depending on where we are in our menstrual cycle, even putting on weight. As someone very kindly told me the other day.

Kinds of things Im eating...well I have been eating petit filous yogs and frruit puree for brakfast, cottage cheese for lunch, soup or cottage cheese for tea, today I snacked on some prawns, last night I had some mash for tea, a small bit of chicken breast, bio yoghurts and protein shots or shakes depending on my mood.
Also I have only ever had approx 4 TOTM in my life so I have no idea where I am in my menstrual cycle, however its been 3 weeks and you would think I would have seen some improvement!?! :(

my typical day is:
brkfast - 1 weetabix, or bowl of porridge.
Lunch - Prawns,or mussels, or omlette, or cottage cheese, or banana if im on the run.
Tea- chicken or fish, small amount of vegetables if i can.

Supper if i have any will be prawns again, or cottage cheese, or crispbread with v.light philladelphia.

I wonder perhaps if ur eating too many carbs? Try and eat more eggs, seafood, meat, low fat cheese etc, and less carbs such as mashed potato. Snack on prawns etc rather than yogurts and fruit, and see if that kick starts ur weight loss xx HTH xx

hello luvi, just wanted to send you a big hug :grouphugg:

Stick with it , your body has been through a awful lot! I am sure you will get lots of posts with loads of advise, but i deffinately think protein is the answer!
Has your GP never tried to kick start your periods? Sorry for being so personal, you dont have to answer that if you dont want. Its just that when mine were non existant (due to PCOS like you) my GP put me on the pill. This kicked started them as it can help with the hormone imbalance (as PCOS causes a higher testosterone level). It was just a thought???
Keep your chin up - you will get there!!! xxx

Thanks for you ideas guys...maybe I am eating too many carbs, its just Im going off the diet sheet from the hospital that is saying to have 2 portions of carbs, 1 of fruit and 6 of protein...the protein is lising yoghurts and chicken and fish so I am eating what it says and not going overboard...and nothing I seem to do is working. I know it may come off eventually, but I am not losing the weight or any inches from my body and Im finding it all really hard and feeling really low.

Sue, yeah I have been prescribed duphaston in the past to induce a bleed, but I only bleed once a day on it, and its so light that it doesnt really count. The docs are happy that as long as I have 2 blleds a year that that is enough, regardless of how little I bleed.

I have searched through loads of sites and loads of posts and cant find anyone who has acheived naff all in this long...I just feel like crying...or melting a mars bar to eat! haha

Sally, you aren't eating too many carbs at all. I would say that by the look of it, you aren't eating enough food generally. At your stage I was on 6 small meals a day.

Are you getting plenty of foods in? I would suggest trying to eat more foods generally, and aiming for atleast 2litres of fluids as well.

Can I ask Shell...what is a small meal? I find Im not hungry, which I know is normal, but when it comes to eating...I just eat 1-2 baby yogs etc...What would be classed as a meal?

Thanks ...AGAIN lol Im such a loser...and not in a good way!

Hi there,

I am 15 days post op and use a childs bowl as a guide........you know the ones I mean that you end up paying over the odds for 'cos its got dora all over it or barbie etc!! If you put 1 weetabix in a bowl with warm milk and let it swell a little then that is about the amount I have been having in one sitting and that seems to be working for me.
Hope this helps hun!!

Hi there,

I am 15 days post op and use a childs bowl as a guide........you know the ones I mean that you end up paying over the odds for 'cos its got dora all over it or barbie etc!! If you put 1 weetabix in a bowl with warm milk and let it swell a little then that is about the amount I have been having in one sitting and that seems to be working for me.
Hope this helps hun!!

Hi and thanks for your reply. Can I ask - how many times a day are you eating this amount of food...and in that case...other than your weetabix, what else are you eating?:wave_cry:

Currently googling any recipes I can think of, including fish pie that are low fat and easy to digest! Any ideas?

Hiya, I would say the same thing as Shel did. You need to eat more often, say every two hours. You should eat 3-5tbsp at a time. You may be in 'starvation' mode since your surgery so your body stores everything you eat. This is not uncommon. Did you lose much on the pre-op diet? I have heard that a big loss on the pre-op can slightly slow your losses post-op.

Also, NEVER weigh in the evening. You should always weigh in the morning directly after you wee. And *try* not to punish yourself with the scale. Move to a weekly weighing for a bit to help your morale, you can see a bigger difference that way. Remember, you can gain 3-5lbs in a day due to fluids/salt intake. You also mentioned elsewhere that your bowls weren't moving which can tack on a couple of pounds. Make sure to drink, drink, drink and as mad as it sounds, eat, eat, eat to allow you body to heal and burn fat.

It will move, you aren't alone with the fear that the surgery didn't work. I felt that way early on when it seemed I could eat loads & my weight wasn't moving as fast as I had hoped. Read my diary thread, you can almost hear the panic, lol.

Hugs,
Nic:D:D:D

Hi and thanks for your reply. Can I ask - how many times a day are you eating this amount of food...and in that case...other than your weetabix, what else are you eating?:wave_cry:

Well.......

I have porridge most mornings, I just used weetabix as a volume guide.

I have had cod in butter sauce blended with a bit of mash. also when I make mash I add a raw egg and some skimmed milk so it is almost creamed potato without all the fat. That way I am adding to the protein content and you don't even notice the egg at all.

I love cheese so even when I made some corned beef hash using lean corned beef I added some grated cheese to it to increase the protein value of my meal.
I bought Catherdral City lighter which has 30% less fat without compromising the flavour or texture.
I have made a sausage casserole for the family using low fat sausages and even adding a tin of beans and blended it for myself and putting it with some home made mash.

I also swapped semi skimmed milk for skimmed and I drink about a pint a day 'cos it has 19g of protein per pint.

I have 3 meals a day and 3-4 protein snacks a day.

These are just some of the things I have done to try and manage the pureed stage and I am not a dietician or nutritionalist but it seems to be working for me. Especially whilst I am limited to the volume of food at the moment that I can tolerate and also due to the greater amounts of protein I need to consume as I have had DS surgery not bypass I have started to suppliment my protein with a protein shot called IDS new whey protein shots which are like a sweet juice that you can drink alone or use a juice to dilute down and they give me an additional 42g of protein and a bit more energy to be honest.
Plus I was up and about 5 days after my surgery, shopping and pottering around and going for little walks too.

I wish you the best of luck and I hope this info has helped.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Sally have you had a look in the recipe section here? It's in the very top stickies on the main weight loss surgery page. There are loads of things in there including fish pie that have been tested by bypassers or adapted to be lower fat/sugar.

You're doing great, like Nic says, step away from the scales ;) Don't forget you're still swollen and healing, you're body is probably freaking out a bit right now and soon things will start moving.

Thank you for your replies guys. I think I had a couple of bad experiences with fish both tinned and fresh and because of that, I gave up trying and have been living off dairy products. I have gotten some fresh fish and prawns and Im going to poach them all in milk tonight, and maybe get some mash to make a mini fish pie.
I also dont think Im drinking enough fluids, and am making a concious effort today to get that up. I have took you comments on, especially the portion sizes as I thought I might be stretching my pouch, so I will defo increase what I eat and when I eat and the food that I am eating.
Happy days...thanks alot guys...really thank you!

PS - there have been 2 people who have told me to ry cod in butter sauce...what is this? and where is it from? Ive seen and heard of parsley sauce, but never butter sauce?!

Thanks - Sally x

have read this post and been curious about something..

I've been a little 'head-in-shed' since the op because my weight now hasnt moved since last time I got weighed.. its the same and feel very disheartened,
am now a week post-op from having band fitted.. not got a clue whether am meant to be having sugar in anything (as we all know - everything has sugar to certain degree) or what amounts of protien/carbs/fat am meant to be having a day..
typical day is porridge for breakfast, half a tin of soup for dinner, purreed casserole for tea (or similar but no more than 140g) and thats it.. maybe have a yoghurt for supper but not always.. I have about 4 cups of coffee and 3 of Options hot choc sachets a day, a 500ml bottle of robinsons h20 flavoured water.. but still feel like am going wrong somewhere.. sometimes I even struggle to gt myself otivated to have something to eat..
is this normal or is it just me? :sigh:

<< waits to get told off now for not enough fluids :sigh:

Hi Mandz...haha, I have no idea, but Im sure someone will be along to help you with this.

Fingers crossed for us both then eh? x

Back