• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A Question on slow weightloss

yorkshirelass74

I had my bypass 3 weeks ago this coming Monday. Although i am happy with my 15 since my op, it seems to have slowed down already.

In my first week i lost 13 pounds which was amazing i am delighted, the second week i lost 2 pounds and while i am still happy it was a loss, i was suprised that it had slowed down so quickly. I have got weighed this morning (2 days earlier but i have done a 5 mile walk this week and was intrigued) and i have stayed the same.

This is despite still being pretty much soups and yoghurts. I know there is no "normal" to weight loss, but i really didnt expect it to settle so quickly.

I know i am really lucky with my op and recovery, i am back to normal, apart from going to bed at about 9 cos i am so shattered! I have started exercising, i have had no probs going to the loo (i go everyday) maybe its just my body, whenever i go on a diet, its either pathetic weight loss or sometimes even a gain, so normally i would have given up by now, obviously i cant now, and am pleased that i cant, i am totally comitted, but could just do with a bit of reassurance.

ermmmmmmmm Mona I'm sure I've seen other people comment that weight loss slows a bit roundabout 3 weeks post-op.
I think it's the body in shock trying to hang on in.

Try not to worry honey, it HAS to start coming off again soon.

I'm like you with very slow weight loss. I'm not even seeing much loss on the pre-op milk diet. but it has to give and sooner or later!

Thanks Charis,
thats reasuring xx

Mona, this is perfectly normal - your body has lost a big chuck of weight quickly and is just 'resting' before it goes onto the next loss. 3 weeks is a very common time when the body takes a breather - you are eating hardly anything so it can't stay like that for long. Just make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids and it will start again. I stalled at 3 weeks until about 6 weeks but then it started again. Don't worry - I know its hard not to want it to come off quickly but it took time to put it on and the body will try and keep you healthy and that means not losing huge chunks in a short space of time as it will mean you are losing muscle too.

Mona, my first stall was at approximately the 3-4 week stage. It went on for absolutely ages, and i was convinced that my bypass wasn't working. Any how after a couple to three weeks i got on the scale and had lost about 10 lbs overnight.
Our bodies desperately try to cling on to the weight at this stage, my advice would be to eat a little more or have a couple glasses of semi skimmed milk to up your protein.
It wont go on forever but it will happen again, it does with me so i just eat or drink a little bit more a work out a bit more you will learn to understand what ur body needs you to do to pull u out of it. Take care xx

Thanks so much girls, i must confess i am really struggling to get fluids in me, i was never a big drinker to start with, i would only drink once or twice a day, i have been forcing myself to drink but i still think its not nearly enough.

Also, i forgot to mention, last night for my tea, i had a full tin of Heinz chicken soup, and managed it no problem, should my pouch be able to hold that much?

big, the 400g tin!

Not the huge family tin though

lol....people are different its not a bad thing but its not something i was able to do x

oh god!!!
Now i am worried!

No dont be, i was over cautious and also over how long did it take u to drink it xx

Not long, i was starving, although i must say, a lot longer than it would pre op, but i wasnt putting my spoon down after every mouthful, i hope i havent burst my staples or anything!
That said, this is what i ate yesterday,

Breakfast - glass of ss milk
Lunch - activia yoghurt, half a banana
Tea - tin of soup

Snacks - packet of quavers + 5 potato wedges

its still not a great deal, it shouldnt actually stall any weight loss should it?

Hi Mona
I had my op the week before you, and I too have had a weight stall for the last week. Don't worry about being able to have the whole tin of soup, it is liquid, and apparently we will feel much more restriction when we start on the solid food ;)
I am also worried that I am not losing weight quick enough, but like everyone says, our bodies are hanging on to what we have as have gone into shock :)
Well, at least I hope that is right lol
I'm sure we will start to lose again soon, take care and keep in touch xxxxx

Hi Jan
thank you for that, that has made me feel better xxx

That seems ok honestly xx
U wont have bust ur staples, promise.
Pretty amazed u can do wedges though i find potatoes pretty tuff to deal with xx

Yes i did them no problem chewed and chewed for england to make them mush, i have been having mash since monday so didnt think these would be a problem as long as i sorted them before they went down, you have worried me now, maybe i havent had a bypass!!!!

mona you sound just as i did i was worried i had damaged my pouch eating and that it had not worked i even rang my team telling them i thought i had been left on the table and mr ammori had gone for a brew and performed my op, i have also had a weight stall and excercising like mad ,but last night i fell asleep after eating fish and today i have only managed a few mouthfulls of jacket potato and cottage cheese i now feel my by pass is working yipppeee hang in there girlxx

Back