• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Smoking and WLS...

quetiapina

Bumps along somehow
Hi everyone, I have found that since my WLS, my tobacco consumption has gone up - I smoke Rollies and whereas I used to smoke 50g a week, now I'm smoking 75g a week.
Has anyone else found this or have you cut down/stopped???

Jennu I too smoke much more now. I think this is our "addiction transfer" people speak of. Instead of putting the foods in we light up another ciggie. I suppose it keeps the weight down but it aint good for the lungs. We can't have it all though can we lol.x

Me too! I stopped smoking ready for my op but started again a month after my surgery. 4 months altogether none smoking:break_diet:

So glad i'm not the only one. I'm a 20 a day. I can not give up got to much going on at the mo with wls and "no willpower".

Stopping smoking was my first step to a newer me.

Over 2 years ago I stopped smoking 20 a day by just going 'Cold Turkey'

I had a goal though. I worked out the price difference was the cost between a new car and a used car. The £150 a month I was spending on cigs paid for the difference!

It's not easy, I still sometimes want one, but the health benefits are lots lots better!

I can understand the smokers wanting more after the op. I just wish you every bit of luck in the future and hope that, perhaps when your weights are down, you find the strength to kick the dreaded weed!!!

I gave up smoking 2 yrs ago when i was preggers with my last littlun....fortunately it was easy as I went off it and the smell of it on my hubby and me moaning about made him give up too lol

Unfortunately, due to problems with my eldest child (15yrs old), I started smoking again and up to about 10 a day:eek::( I'm soo cross with myself:mad::mad:
I'm determined to stop again, but when I try.. some other trauma/drama occurs again and I go running to the ciggies:cry:

But I'm determined to stop b4 my surgery, might even stop b4 Xmas as I need to save for pressies lol.

my smoking hasnt changed im waiting to get into no smoking clinic at moment want to go on tabs to stop iv tried cold turkey but will power never being my strong point didnt quiet work out lol

smoking keeps me out the fridge, im on week 3 of quitting and im going stir crazy, i have had a few in the time since quitting as i am finding it extremley difficult, i need to do this for an upcoming plastics op as they will not operate on any smokers, fingers crossed i can do this long term but to be honest i cant actually see it as im weak willed regarding me faggs.

I went cold turkey last December when I was told no op unless I stopped and boy was it hard. It still is at times, I still get those cravings.

Hi
I smoked 30 a day before my op gave them up two weeks pre op and havent touched them since. I used the electric cigarette which if i want can still use but again havent since op, it was so helpful in giving up because it acts like a real cigarette. I still crave them every day but as part of the journey to the new me i have to stay off them. Liz hang in there it does get easier and you are doing really well. Good luck to anyone who is thinking of giving up x

Yep I also Smoke, and the night of my Op I packed in for 10 days and swore that was it, But Nope I am now smoking more, I always said I will pack in when I'm 40 which is next June, But I am gonna give it a go at Christmas (New years resolution) But I really enjoy a coffee & a Fag lol, and although i want to pak in for all the health reasons I don't because I enjoy them.

I am glad i am not the only one here thats struggling with smoking, I am due to have my Band operation on tuesday and was told to stop smoking a week before hand, although i havent stopped i have cut down considerably, i used to smoke 30-40 a day and now on 10-12, how can you give the fags up AND food, I have been told that cutting down would be ok, i just cant do it, i spent 18.99 on one of them inhalators on tuesday and i used 1 cartridge over the space of a day and had a really bad headache so that was a waste of money it just sits on the shelf now above my computer staring at me, well it can stay there cause it did me no good what so ever apart from a raging headache. Well done to all those that have quit though you all need a medal X

You have to be 100 percent ready to quit anything, or have a 100 percent reason to do so.

I gave up nearly 4 years ago now...I only smoked about 10-15 a day but that is still a moderate habit.

Strangely enough, I found it easy, I had already made the decision months before and chose a date to stop. That meant I could enjoy the last ones I had.

For 3 months prior I cut down my consumption by one a day over a period of time, till I was on 2 a day, then just went cold turkey.

I think that helped as I did not have so much nicotine in my system when it got close to the quit date.

I never want to smoke ever again...I realise now how other people who don't smoke view smokers. I must have stunk something awful all the time...ewww! As a smoker you are totally unaware...

Good luck to those trying to quit, it's the best decision you will ever make and to those of you who have, give yourselves a massive pat on the back :D

This is what worries me the most about wls, I gave up smoking 20-30 a day 11 months ago and I still struggle now, I love the smell of people smoking but when they have finished it makes me feel sick, I had smoked since I was 13 yrs old and had tried to pack up so many times but failed, I didn't think about giving up until one day I was standing outside the office having a fag and I thought why am I doing this, I'm not even enjoying it and from that minute I have not had a fag, I found it easy for the first 6months but god since then i have been having raging cravings, all I think about is the cost, the smell, and it is more anti social now, and also I don't want my kids to follow me with either the fags or the weight and that is the only thing that keeps me going, that and the fact I'm not gonna let anyone say to me "I told you, you would fail" as there are so many of them waiting around the corner!!!

i started smoking when i was 14 and quit 4 years ago (I am 40 in 4 weeks) i was on 20 - 30 a day and decided i was not enjoying fags anymore and gave the packet away and stopped there and then i had the patches but after 5 days i forgot to put a patch on and did not realise untill the night time so decided to see if i could do another day without one and was fine not one single craving so thought ok try a week, then a month and here i am 4 years later smoke free and hate and detest it now, the smell makes me feel so sick. I am so so glad i quit and all i can say to those trying to good luck it is so worth it you feel much more healthier and your breathing improves so much and to be honest i ate less as i realy taste food properly after quitting so ate less of it and enjoyed it more.

I was a 20-30 a day man back in 2001 but with my weight it was killing me big time, i went cold turkey said enough is enough, stop smoking, stopped drinking, stopped eating all the crap, went on slim fast and fresh veg's and fruits lost 7 1/2 stone felt fantastic, soon as i came off the slim fast the weight crept back on slowly so you don't notice it creeping up till its back with a vengeance,

hence the need for a bypass now, but at least i have never had a smoke in 8 years and hardly a drop of booze in the last 3 years i use to like the smell when someone light up, now it don't bother me at all each to there own!!!! i say but i know i could never have one again funny that , good luck to all that want quit, to them don't, enjoy !!!!
regards
Steve

Back