• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

smoking help.!

funky24

Hi all i need to write an essay and i then need your helpful tips, i hope you dont mind (and i hope you dont mind me posting this here)

I am a smoker, and i keep saying i want to quit but now i feel is the right time for the following reasons
1) to be healthier
2) to save money
3) my partner doesnt smoke, and has asthma i smoke around her (and in her car) i feel awful
4) i will have to quit for my bypass operation - in next few months
5) and just because its a smelly dirty expensive habit lol

my problems or things i need advice on

1) i dont want to get stressy and have fall outs with my partner
2) i dont want to do the thing that most people do and eat lots (im trying my hardest to keep my weight down at the minute ready for surgery) and im already yo yo-ing as it is!
frown.gif

3) does any one know anything about champix?
4) need to keep busy when i quit last year (for 8 days) i found if i just laid in bed for a bit longer then got up and started my daily chores the urge (cig i have when i wake up) passed. how can i distract my self i am alone most days until the evening and semi mobile.
my worst one is after meals :/
5) and lastly just any tips, advice or anything from anyone would be fantastic, sorry to rant, hope it makes sense (it did when i was writing it) lol.

Thanks for reading guys
smile.gif

xxx

I had champix to help me stop. prior to taking champix I had tried to stop on four other occasions over the years. It worked for me and I have now been smoke free for 18 months.

Like everything it does have its side effects. One of the worst being vivid dreams and insomnia. But even taking those into account, I would recommend it 100% if you are serious about stopping.

It's a 12 week programme, starting off with a low dose which increases over the weeks. You can still smoke when you first start taking it, but when you start t you have to choose a day to stop (usually on or after the 7th day). Tbh around day 5 you won't want to smoke any more. If your going to do it, I'd do it now. This will give you a better chance of your chest being completely clear by your surgery date. Hope this has helped and good luck :)

I have quit smoking with champix and been off the cigarettes 7 weeks now and also lost 12lb. I didn't get any dreams or sickness (everyone's different). I stopped on day 9 as you are now meant to smoke for the first 7 days with the lower dose tablets. My hubby couldn't believe I stopped smoking so he has given them a try too and he has been stopped nearly 3 weeks now ( never ever thought he could do it). All I can say to you is do it, you'll save a fortune, feel better and smell better lol. Good luck :)

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

[QUOTE=Paula Lewis.

Like everything it does have its side effects. One of the worst being vivid dreams and insomnia. But even taking those into account, I would recommend it 100% if you are serious about stopping.

just like paula said the dreams are pretty bad but when you weigh the pros and cons of quiting the pros defo come out on top x

I packed up esp for my bypass pros was healthier, more money, my clothes didn't smell of it and i didn't get anxious as much (if i was running low in cigs it used to freak me out) i cleaned round the house more and took up making traditional home dinners which my mummys boy husband really apprechiated lol

cons: my phone bill went through the roof :0)

I didn't gain weight as i was constanly moving to keep my brain active instead of letting the addiction beat me, However after 9 months of kicking it my son had a horrfic accident and the cigs are back, i smoke more now then i did before :eek:( My mother in law just kicked the habit with the aid of champix after some 50 years of smoking i'm really proud of her and i have booked in to re start the champix programme again trying to get my mum to do it aswel but she's kicking and screaming all the way so don't think shes ready xx all the best and remeber 1 important thing.......You Decide if you smoke not that little white stick! you can do it (said in a championing shout) :):):)xxx take care

My partner used the nasal spray to stop and he's never looked back.
Good luck with it, it's a really hard habit to quit but you'll get there in the end.
Em xxxxxx

Thanks for all your replies, its nice to read your stories and successes :) I just called my gp surgery and no appointments left (they really are useless down there) Im thinking of changing that to lol specially before surgery cos if i need bloods or any medical advice i wont get it there (they close half day most of the week) as soon as i can get an appointment il go have a chat about champix and other options ! :) xx

I am a bit behind the times now I am trying to quit too cold turkey for me.... But what is champix never heard of it.

if you cant get an appointment at your GP surgery , your PCT should hold sessions somewhere else , have a look on their web site
good luck
Kate x

On the 1st June it'll be 3 years since I gave up smoking! I bought an electronic cigerette, I hadn't intended on giving up I just wanted to cut down on my 20 a day habit. Anyway after using the electronic cig for a few weeks I just stopped. My friends and family were amazed as no one thought I would ever give up. I know that option wouldn't be for everyone but that's what worked for me :)

Good luck x

I quit cold turkey last November and it was very very hard. I don't advise it at all. I had a few slip ups. If you can get any kind of help take it. I've stop completely now but I'm sure it would of been less stressful if I'd gone to my gp for advice and help. Good luck with getting an appointment, I know where you are coming from with that. It's so hard to see a doctor these days! Good luck with quitting too, you can do it :) x

you don't need to see a GP , you should have a smoking cessation trained nurse or health care assistant in your surgery
Kate x

My dad had hypnotherapy and gave up 27 years ago after smoking since he was 10 (no quit smoking help back then)

My hubby gave up about 15 years ago using patches (no champix then)

He did see the "quit smoking advisor" who told him to change anything that he associated with having a cigarette.
eg. Don't sit around after finishing a meal (he always had a cigarette after a meal)

He wasn't allowed to smoke in our caravan so we went on holiday for 2 weeks. He had his last cigarette before we left and hasn't smoked since.

He said he gave up smoking because my nagging worn him down :D

i keep thinking of buying one of them electronic cigarettes, i guess what works for some doesnt work for others, may be worth a shot x

I am a bit behind the times now I am trying to quit too cold turkey for me.... But what is champix never heard of it.

its a pill you take to help quit smoking, think you take it for a bit and still smoke then cut it down and then stop.....x

funky24 said:
its a pill you take to help quit smoking, think you take it for a bit and still smoke then cut it down and then stop.....x

Does it have to be prescription or can you buy it over the counter?

Ali

My dad had hypnotherapy and gave up 27 years ago after smoking since he was 10 (no quit smoking help back then)

My hubby gave up about 15 years ago using patches (no champix then)

He did see the "quit smoking advisor" who told him to change anything that he associated with having a cigarette.
eg. Don't sit around after finishing a meal (he always had a cigarette after a meal)

He wasn't allowed to smoke in our caravan so we went on holiday for 2 weeks. He had his last cigarette before we left and hasn't smoked since.

He said he gave up smoking because my nagging worn him down :D

I love this.....can you come and live with me and wear my hubby Down,:D:D he's no intention of giving up which makes it harder for me as i know its seeing him enjoy a cig thats the hardest part:cry:for me xx I'd apprechiate your nagging :D xxx

kitkatkate said:
you don't need to see a GP , you should have a smoking cessation trained nurse or health care assistant in your surgery
Kate x

You can only get champix on prescription, so unless it's a nurse prescriber you have to see a GP :)

Back