• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

smoking..

farquar

I'm just wondering really. Ive stopped smoking because i heard it can slow healing down and stuff. Im on Day 5 now. But just worried incase i put weight on from what i was last time i got weighed at the hospital. Can they refused to do it if ive put weight on? Hope this makes sense. Thanks :)

Hi I think it depends what hospital your at. But most do not like you to gain even when quitting. It is so hard but well worth it and keep up the good work :) when I stopped through this process I went on weight watchers and managed to loose weight, it definitely helped me keep on the straight and narrow which I don't think I could have done without following a plan. Good luck :) and congrats on quitting x

Losing weight isn't the be all and end all of this journey. It's also about being healthy and smoking will get in the way of that as well as slow down healing. You will feel so much better if you do both at once!

Yehhh ive started slimming world again just till i start the pre op diet. Im doing ok and trying to keep away free snacky bits. Dont want to replace 1 with the other lol just need to be careful though. Im at walsall manor. Not sure how they are but so far they seem great. Thanks for the replies x

Im at walsall manor. Not sure how they are? So far they seem good. Im doing the slimming world diet to try n keep on track. Also being healthy is the path i want. And smoking is the first thing that needs to go. I can smell everything atm haha xx

Ooh my other post didnt post. Pfft im trying slimming world again as it helped me. Just gota keep away from the snacks.. Im at walsall manor? Not sure how they are but so far i think their great and helpful xx thanks for the replies x

Hi farquar well done on stopping smoking, yes you will put a little weight on as nicotine is a stimulant but I'm only talking a couple of pounds. Some people when quitting replace their cigarette with food I.e instead of a cuppa and a fag they probs have cuppa and biscuit or instead of smoking after a meal they would have a desert! Just to fill gap. I'm spoken to a bariatric surgeon on this topic and he said normally surgeons would take this into consideration for a slight weight gain. Hope this helps and good luck x

I was told that when you smoke, although you inhale into your lungs, some smoke gets into your stomach which is the reason they ask you to stop.
Good luck with it all.

Yehh. Its all habit and routine so need to find sumthing to replace it. Ive brought snacky things i can eat that are low fat so fingers crossed. Ooh i thought it was to help you heal quicker but either smoking is out the door wooo. Hope every1 is ok x

I gave up back in February 2012 when I was put on the waiting list for a bypass, and the thing that helped me the most was either sucking a sugar free sweet or chewing sugar free gum. It got me through it with only a month of nicotine replacement therapy. So maybe that would be an idea for you... I know nearly 6 months on, I feel so much healthier without the cigarettes and wish to goodness I had done it years ago, so good luck with the no smoking farquar xx

I gave up 19th June 2012. I had an electronic cigarette for a few weeks which helped but got sick of it after a few weeks. Now I'm totally nicotine free. I still miss smoking but don't crave it... And if I do I've got my electrical one in a safe place.

Keep going. I gave up 11 feb 2011, I nibbled on the small lozenges as they delivered a quick hit of nicotine taste if needed, then stopped using after 3 weeks. Had a few tough and touchy weeks, and still now find myself thinking what should I be doing before realising before I would have been smoking. It really is the best thing I ever did, not having to smoke is so liberating, and even though it took a while I feel so much better in myself. Just one day at a time, one cigarette opportunity ignored at a time - there comes a day when you'll realise you haven't thought about them at all - the freedom that brings is awesome!!

Old habits die hard and I have started letting the cigarets back in as if I have never stopped smoking :( so as of tomorrow I'm going to quit cold turkey. I'm one of these people who can't just have one as I never stop at one. We can do this together :D as I had wlsurgery for health reasons, even though I had no co morbs my back is crumbling to pieces, and don't want to stop the healthy lifestyle I have had for over a year now. So it stops as of tomorrow :) good luck everyone who is stopping x

I quit smoking for the last time 10 years go and to this day I am scared of having just one for fear of finding myself back in the grip of the killer weed again.

I wish you all luck and willpower for this but can promise you that you will feel so much better for it once you've knocked the fags on the head. xxx

Good luck with quitting, it's hard but well worth it. If you explain to your team that you've just quit and might have put a couple of pounds on I'm guessing they will be understanding.
I'm 10years down the line now and have no problem when I'm around smokers, I occasionally have the urge to smoke but I know even one puff of a cig would make me feel sick so I don't.

Hi I think it depends what hospital your at. But most do not like you to gain even when quitting. It is so hard but well worth it and keep up the good work :) when I stopped through this process I went on weight watchers and managed to loose weight, it definitely helped me keep on the straight and narrow which I don't think I could have done without following a plan. Good luck :) and congrats on quitting x
Hope you are doing okay. Stick with it, and remember we only have to do something (or not do it) 14 times for it to become habit. I used to scoff at this handed down wisdom, but there is some truth in it I think.

Thanks for all your replies. Still going strong 31 days. Think im out the woods and able to say no but still crave. Guess i always will. Everyone keep it up :) xx

Thanks for all your replies. Still going strong 31 days. Think im out the woods and able to say no but still crave. Guess i always will. Everyone keep it up :) xx

Well done, it's a hard habit to kick :)

Well done on quitting. I gave up back in february this year, as soon as I knew I was having the bypass, and really it is the best thing I have ever done. You will be so glad you have kicked the habit, and you will never look back. xxx

Back