• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

'snack' question

StephieAck

I know Ive changed!
Hi guys
I have a question that is annoying me now.
I read on here about needing to stick to three meals a day and no snacks and that confuses me because my dietician and the advice from the hospital is to have a healthy mid morning and mid afternoon 'snack'.
When I cut the 'snack' out my weight loss slowed and then stalled, when I added the 'snack' back in the weight loss took off again.
I just dont want to be doing the wrong thing and the advice from all different sources is confusing me.
So what is the general concencus on this subject?
Steph xx

couple of snacks is good - specially if they are fruit or dairy - yogurt. Cuppa soup can also be a snack. If you fancy it, have it (if you know what I mean!) You need to keep your diet as varied as possible and try and eat the 5 a day although in practice I find it really hard - i find a tangerine mid morning goes down very well!

Hi Steph, my dietry advice from the hosptial says I should be on 4-6 small meals a day at this stage, all healthy obviously. I tend to have three main meals; brekky, lunch and dinner but also a couple of snacks inbetween or I get too hungry. (And that's when I'm likely to raid the biscuit cupboard!) I snack on a piece of fruit, nuts, babybel light, seeds, cooked chicken, prawns, salad, yoghurt, philly light with a couple of breadsticks, s/f jelly or perhaps some dry high fibre breakfast cereal.

Cuppa xx

I have a snack if my meals have been a bit small as if I dont quite eat enough I dont feel well.

Hi Steph

I have always snacked when I needed to. Some days I will and some days I wont, BUT i always make sure my snacks are HIGH protein, like you, i try to make sure everything i eat does me some good, so snack on things like babybell light (9g each), edamame beans (40g protein per 100g), unsalted nuts (between 15 - 30g per 100g), yoghurt (8-10g protein per 100g), chicken slices (pre packed from Tesco, 2 for £5, 28g of Protein per half pack)
protein shakes are also a good snack and can be reaaaaally filling in my experience and are fantastic source of protein! Also milky coffee carries good protein aswell....

My advice is dont over analyse when or what your eating just as long as your keeping it high protein, low fat and low sugar, you cant go wrong :)

xxx

Thank you Caroline. About the tangerine, do you eat the skin as well? I dont mean the peel, I mean the skin over the actual meat of the fruit. I always peel it off just in case Im not meant to have it. I do love tangerine, satsuma and oranges and it is blardy annoying always peeling the skin off lol
My 'snacks' always add something to my intake, so they are low fat dairy or fruit and never crisps/chocolate anything like that, dont bother with either of those now, so using the word snack makes me smile because now my 'snack' is so very different from pre-op.
Steph xx

Steph I eat clementines daily but can't eat the pithy bits as they don't chew down so well. I look so glamourous spitting those bits out into the peel. :rolleyes:

Cuppa xx

Ooohhh lots of replies whilst I was typing that reply lol
Sounds pretty much like Im doing the right thing so Im going to carry on as I am now.
Thanks guys, youre all awesome xx
Steph xx

Steph I eat clementines daily but can't eat the pithy bits as they don't chew down so well. I look so glamourous spitting those bits out into the peel. :rolleyes:

Cuppa xx

Lol me too hon, sooo glam lol
Steph xx

Enjoy your snacks sweetheart - if you can cope with them and they help you then continue to do what you are comfortable with. Sending hugs with fairy dust to make you shine xx

just a quick qustions ive been eating grapes but not the skin, just kinda suckin out the middle, is it ok to eat the skin, will b 5 weeks on thursday.

i do that as well steph wit the tangerines. thank u for this post as i never know what to have while im at work, gonna get some babybel now xx

i eat the skin an my satsumas hun and have no problems with it and I am 9 weeks post op I love a satsuma as 1 fills me up quickly and stops me heading for the crisps which over xmas i made the mistake of doing (bad Lisa xx)

Oh how i long to say that.. I could eat a pack and then make a sandwich :) One day this year i'm gonna post something along those lines xx

*looks at self* oohhh Im all girly shimmery now, thank you Topsy xxx

Claudia...I have had a handfull of grapes over the last couple of weeks (literally one here and there) and was worried about the skin but it went down very well for me but then again I chew my food sooooooooo much now, Im a slave to mastication lol
Steph xx

Back