• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

So desperate i tried to unfill my band myself...

Hi
ive been suffering with pain from my band for years now,
sometimes its fine then every few weeks my stomach swells and my band gets really tight and so painful, i have to go to bed for 2 days as the pain is unbearable i get extreme shoulder pain from it too,
my surgeon discharged me 2 years ago as he said the band may have slipped and he refuses to fill it any more, so im in the middle of trying to get funding for a bypass.
my GP just says its acid which i know its not. I know my own body.
well its flared up again im sick of the pain.

my daughter has got cystic fibrosis and shes on iv antibiotics at the min which i mix up using syringes and needles, so i went and laid on my bed,
cleaned my port area ( on my sternum inbetween my boobies) felt around for my port and stuck the needle in, it grinded against the metal of my port which it does when the surgeon does it as mine is quite difficult to access, i stabbed myself 3 times, the last time i drew blood in the syringe so i stopped,

now a day later i realise it was stupid of me to try this, but i was so desperate, no one ever listens to me and how bad the pain is, they wont even remove the band as it costs money :(

Hello there Vamp

I am curious as to why your surgeon has discharged you, I thought with the nhs it was a lifetime of aftercare:confused: Most Gp's I have found do not have the slightest knowledge of gastric procedures so it doesnt surprise me that he thinks its acid, I was seen by a respiratory doctor and my Gp who thought the same about me , l knew the band was the problem ( it was filled to capacity) nobody knows your body better then yourself. x x

I have to agree with you it was stupid of you to try and defill your band yourself and extremely dangerous too :( I can only imagine the desperation of your situation hun ( hugs) , if your original surgeon thinks the band may have slipped why the frigging hell aint he/she investigating as to see if this is the problem, surely they have a duty of care to you as a nhs patient:sigh: - Please do not try and attempt to do a defill again I cannot stress how dangerous it is, go to your gp and ask him for a referral to see the original surgeon to try and ascertain what the problem is ( a slipped band is extremely painful and should be rectified a.s.a.p.) If the gp/surgeon still refuse to help I would go via the route of Pals hun . Wishing you all the best - Bluediamond x x x ( hugs 4 u ) x x

I can only imagine how desperate you must be to try this :( Next time you are in pain, is it worth trying to go in via A&E?

So there is a chance that your band 'may have slipped' - and the surgeon simply discharged you? Surely a band that has slipped has to be repositioned? And what if it hasn't slipped? The pain could be linked to some other internal event, such as band erosion.

You should not have to suffer in this way. The NHS does indeed have a continuing duty of care to you. Please ask to speak to someone senior at the hospital or your local Trust. Try the CAB. You must get help - the band may need to be removed. Good luck and let us know how you get on x

Can you not go to A+E (one which performs gastric surgery also) tell them your in agony and hope they refer you there and then. You will have to lay it on really thick but they cant just send you home, it might be the only way to get it sorted quick. Desperate times, desperate measures.
Hope its sorted out for you soon

Kim

You poor thing Nikki, you have been through so much and no one will help you, how you are feeling I could not even begin to think about, it must be hell for you.

This is unfortunately the down side of this sort of surgery, no one really wants to know when something goes wrong, even if it was done on the NHS but its just as bad in the private sector.

If I was in your position I might be tempted to do a DIY de-fill as well, or get on the Internet and find a NHS Hospital with a Barriatric centre, not just a surgeon doing a few lap bands and then just turn up at their Casualty unit, they might then be able to get one of their Barriatric surgeons to come in and have a look at you. Don't do,it on a weekend though as they will all be off playing golf. Drop in there in the morning and put on a big show of how much pain you are in, I am sure someone will be able to help. Don't tell anyone I told you to do this though.

All the best and hope you get this sorted soon or your funding appeal goes well for the revision, just make sure your surgeon has done a few as revisions are not as strait forward as a first time bypass as the stomach is often messed up by the band so making the pouch is not as easy as it is on a virgin stomach.

Paul

Hi,

I think everyone else has given great advice but i just wanted to say i wish you all the best & get your self down the a&e department, A friend or mine had a slipped band and it inbedded in her gut nearly ended her, so this is could be serious or not but i wouldn't be taking no for an answer ( i know its hard when there not taking you seriously)! please please go and pitch a tent down the a&e untill you get some answers xx take care my love xxx

If you haven't already, please telephone the hospital again - be sure to sound desperate but very determined. Ask to speak to the Hospital Manager, and say that it is urgent. Ask for that person's name and contact details, and send an explanatory email too.

Then ask to speak to the PALS team. Their purpose is to liase between patients and hospital staff, and to resolve any and all difficulties reported to them. Their intervention can make all the difference to the treatment unhappy patients subsequently receive.

You might also like to call/email the Care Quality Commission:

Care Quality Commission | Homepage

This powerful Organisation oversees and investigates the standard of care offered in all hospitals in England and Wales. I have read that hospital/clinics try hard to avoid falling foul of this Commission! They will offer sympathetic help and advice; they may even be able to intervene in your case and make sure you are seen by the right people.

I realise that you feel poorly and low in spirits and that the mere thought of having to chase-up so many people may fill you with dread, but you really must take action. Go up a gear now and hit the ground, running. You cannot go on suffering in this way, and you shouldn't have to.

All the very best, once again, and please keep trying x

Hi Nikki, really hope you've managed to get something sorted out at hospital today.xx

Nikki I couldn't stop thinking of your story all day yesterday after i read it. The desperation you must gave felt to take the actions did, upset me. I dont know hat to say apart fom i sincerely hope you get this issue resolved ASAP ... Big hug xxx

Back