• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Who is suitable for a gastric band

Lisav

I'm sure this had been asked before, but I couldn't find the answer! Who is a band suitable for? My parents have agreed to lend me the money for this surgery, so I'm looking for advice and recommendations from you experienced Wls'ers please! I'm about 23 stone currently, am I too fat? Are there any "rules" to having a band?

We aren't that well off so who is recommended to use for the surgery? I'm in Oxford but would like my surgery in the UK ideally and want a food aftercare package. I have only looked at wls group so far.

Thanks for any help

Hiya. Bands are for volume eaters! So if you force yourself to always polish off that pizza or always return twice to the buffet table then I'd hedge your bets on it being right for you. But! If you snack little n often it won't be as effective, as we can cope with small amounts. My view (from experience) is post op be prepared to eat healthy portions whilst also being restricted on portion size. You have to change what foods you buy to make it work!
I went with wls group, and can't fault them from start to finish. Aftercare n fills all fine just whoever you choose make sure aren't too far away as in the first few months you do need to go back for fills and fit this in with work!! X

Totally agree with Jo. Went the hospital group and can't fault them either.

I agree with Jo on the suitable for band description, cant help with private stuff as I am a nhs patient xx

Your not too fat! I know a last who was 26 stone and had the surgery! My sister is 24 stone and is on a list for nhs band! I'm booked in for one with the hospital group they have an offer on at the moment too x

Lisav said:
I'm sure this had been asked before, but I couldn't find the answer! Who is a band suitable for? My parents have agreed to lend me the money for this surgery, so I'm looking for advice and recommendations from you experienced Wls'ers please! I'm about 23 stone currently, am I too fat? Are there any "rules" to having a band?

We aren't that well off so who is recommended to use for the surgery? I'm in Oxford but would like my surgery in the UK ideally and want a food aftercare package. I have only looked at wls group so far.

Thanks for any help

Good luck on ur journey. I'm getting a wrap as didn't fancy a mechanical device inside me eeeek me and technology don't work together!! Lol x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Good luck on ur journey. I'm getting a wrap as didn't fancy a mechanical device inside me eeeek me and technology don't work together!! Lol x

I have a band inside me but I know for a fact its not mechanical!!!!!

If anything I suppose 'implant' would describe it more accuratly.

Good luck with your wrap :D

Hi Lisav

The thing to remember is that any weight loss surgery is a tool to help you achieve your goal.

You will have to be committed to making the changes to your eating and exercising regimes to make it work.

I have a band and I was a volume eater, savoury not sweet. From day one of having the band fitted I am no longer a volume eater -its physicaly impossible!

Be 100% honest with whoever you decide to go and visit for your consultation, about your eating habbits etc and they will help you decide whats best for you.

My provider was WLS Group too :D

Good luck xx

Mazza said:
I have a band inside me but I know for a fact its not mechanical!!!!!

If anything I suppose 'implant' would describe it more accuratly.

Good luck with your wrap :D

Oooh yeah implant is a much better word... :) how have u done with the band? I did consider it but hear stories about band slipping and port goin missing scared me a little. I know it's prob nothing that happens often. But knowing my terrible Luck it would happen to me xx

Thank you all so much for your responses! I will take every bit of advice. I am definitely a volume eater but would say I'm probably. 50/50 on savoury v sweet. I'm just desperate for the day when I'm not continually ravenous and I want to learn to not hate myself and the way I look so much xxx

Lisav said:
Thank you all so much for your responses! I will take every bit of advice. I am definitely a volume eater but would say I'm probably. 50/50 on savoury v sweet. I'm just desperate for the day when I'm not continually ravenous and I want to learn to not hate myself and the way I look so much xxx

I am exactly the same hun, as prob most of on here pre op.. Good luck on whatever u choose. X

Oooh yeah implant is a much better word... :) how have u done with the band? I did consider it but hear stories about band slipping and port goin missing scared me a little. I know it's prob nothing that happens often. But knowing my terrible Luck it would happen to me xx

I had my band fitted in April 09 and have been maintaining for over a year.

No problems with my port as it is anchored rather than stitched - its going nowhere!

Slipping can happen and can be caused by eating the wrong things or too much and vomiting. Im not aware that it would slip for any other reason though :confused:

Are you going abroad for your wrap or do they do it in the UK now? xx

No problems with my port as it is anchored rather than stitched - its going nowhere!

Slipping can happen and can be caused by eating the wrong things or too much and vomiting. Im not aware that it would slip for any other reason though :confused:

Hi maz, i have gave an update and I'm feeling great,i did enquire about the wrap they now do it in this country think it is only one surgeon that does it, famous one cant remember his name hes only done a few so far i think,i was quoted 8500, think i spoke 2 soon starting to geta bit of pain in one of my incisions:eek: ill see how it gos, dont forgrt tonite britains fattest woman 11pm health and leasuire xx

Mazza said:

I'm going to Prague with cosmetic bliss in may :) x

Well it looks like my banding is going ahead in the next month or so - I could have had it done in April but as I am covering for my boss at work it may be the first week of May. I met with my surgeon last night, Mr Bruno Sgromo and he basically said I could choose my date! So excited!

Back