• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

some lamb help please

cherry

i have a boneless lamb shoulder that weighs 0.96, how long do you think i need to cook it for?....:confused:

deeby

Hiya Kelly
put tinfoil over it and the tin
turn oven up really hot, put in the lamb, leave for about 15-20 mins on hot then turn oven really low and cook for a good few hours and it should be melt in the mouth :D
xxx

Bev

Lovely Kell... I'd be testing with a knife to be sure it's cooked too and sprinkling with fresh Rosemary if you have any?

Don't forget the mint sauce!

Love and hugs xxx

deeby

ooo yes Bev and also chuck a few bulbs of garlic in too :D xx

cherry

mmmm mint sauce is on standby!!! lamb an dmint sauce is my youngest fave meal!!! believe it or not haha he s only 19 months x

Bev

You'll have 3 hungry men to feed in life Kell... as the lads grow up...

My Mum always said it was like 'building' a house, building children up when they were younger... they need all the good nourishment you can give them... little cherubs....

Enjoy your day together precious xxx

dottychic

MMMmmmmm Lamb is my favourite meat but Ive only had it once since surgery and it didnt go down well atall! It scared me a bit but I will try it again soon.....hope you enjoyed yours Kelly :D XX

shelbell

Proudly maintaining
I do my lamb in the slow cooker, coat it in mint sauce and put very thick gravy in the bottom, and cook on low for 8-10 hours. The fat melts out and the meat is soooo tender.

Charlie loves minted lamb too, I make him a minty shepherds pie which is his favourite meal.

shelbell

Proudly maintaining
Yup I use the bisto sachets of lamb and mint, but use 1/2 pint of water instead of 3/4. I tend to use 2 sachets for an average size joint. It doesnt cover it but comes up the side. The juices from the lamb then run out into the gravy so it's a normal consistency when it's cooked. The extra mint sauce on top is optional lol, I just luuurve mint sauce.

Bev

That sounds lovely... I've never done a joint of lamb in a slow cooker... but will try this for the family... thank you xxx

dottychic

Me too :D Im going to get some this week.....Im really looking forward to it. I love those lamb and mint gravy sachets....yummmy XX

shelbell

Proudly maintaining
Slow cookers are great for post op, especially for red meat as it gives it that fall apart texture and keeps it very moist.

dottychic

OMG we just had Lamb made in the slow cooker like Shell said, I didnt put mint over the top but did everything else the same....we had it with cabbage and leek, cauli and new pots (I couldnt eat mine) and stuffing.........it was absolutely beautiful :D It literally fell apart as I tried to cook it and I enjoyed it more than anything Ive had since surgery :eek: Yum Yum...I will deffinately be making this again....Thanks Shell :flowers: XX

hsmel

I do lamb like that too except if you dont have a slow cooker just use a really large heavy casserole dish with a lid and put it in the oven at 140 for six hours. Even lamb shanks (which are really cheap) come out fab. If you do it in a casserole in the oven during the last hour I throw chopped carrots, new potatoes, swede or turnip chunks and pieces of butternut squash into the dish and put the lid back on. That way all the veg are already done all in the same pot and it is really nice and easy. Sometimes do this when we are at a show on a Sunday so we have a 'sort of' roast when we come back. Serve in giant yorkshire puds for a less wls friendly option!

Bev

If you are cooking a boneless lamb joint for example in the slow cooker... do you have to have it totally immersed in stock or do you turn it and cook it in shallow stock?

Love and hugs xxx

hsmel

I just cook in shallow stock, but on a very slow heat with a good lid on either the slow cooker or the casserole dish just so it doesnt evaporate the liquid in there. Too much liquid makes it a bit like soup as the meat disintegrates in it if you are not careful.

Bev

That is what I was thinking... I use the slow cooker a heck of a lot but usually for sliced meat... so it'll be a new one for me to cook a joint... I'm going for it with fresh mint and rosemary... I'm looking forward to having a play...

Love and hugs xxx

hsmel

I have got a quite deep slow cooker that is good I can do a whole chicken or joint of meat in it. Another good one post op is a whole chicken with a can of Homepride white wine sauce poured over it then left to cook slowly till the chicken virtually falls off the bone into the juice. I normally add a can of marvel added milk to the sauce before I cook it so it goes a bit further and doesnt all vanish in the cooking process. I fish the skin out of the chicken and then serve the rest, being very careful of the bones. It is very nice too with a bit of mash!!

Reactions: Bev

shelbell

Proudly maintaining
Red meat I put gravy in the bottom, never turn it or owt. Chickens I just put in whole with nothing else added, always get a good pint of stock coming out during cooking. If I'm feeling daring I cut a couple of lemons in half and pop them in around it. Everything except pork and chunky veg gets cooked on low (pork should always have a good 4 hours on high then turn down due to the risk of parasites, veggies like carrots, pots, squash etc need high to cook through).